What's new

SHREK... The Musical?!? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Somebody please stop these corporations before they completely kill the legitimate Theatre!
http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=20929&CT=38
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST worked because the original was written in the style of a Broadway Musical. LION KING worked because of Julie Taymor's puppets. SHREK?!? Come on! Are we going to be treated to the "I'm Gonna Make Some Waffles Ballet"? AAIIGGHHHH!!!!!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why there should be any concern at all. Sam Mendes, if he ends up to be the creative talent behind it, has shown in the past that he is able to do live theater.

He has directed Judi Dench (The Cherry Orchard), Ralph Fiennes (Troilus and Cressida) and Nicole Kidman (The Blue Room) and his performing arts work has received some very nice critical acclaim.

If done right, the Broadway production of Shrek would be a nice addition to those two you already mentioned and a good way to introduce young people to live theater.

~Edwin

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with introducing kids to live theatre. Heck, I have a degree in Theatre. I have a problem with the source material. SHREK made an enjoyable, if slight, entertainment. There isn't enough of a story there to make a Musical out of it. Also, I love Sam Mendes. His production of CABARET is a wonder to behold. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, though. The Broadway Musical (with a few exceptions) has been turned into spectaculars with no more substance than a theme park show or an installment of the eternally bland DISNEY/SESAME STREET/FLIP WILSON ON ICE!!! I'm just sick of the ritualistic rape of one of humankind's greatest achievments. We're not introducing children to Theatre; we're introducing them to Corporate Synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks