What's new

Shrek (some early thoughts) (1 Viewer)

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
God! How I love to get Region 1 DVDs early.
I got Shrek last night at a local store, and let me tell you that it is just beautiful to watch. The double keepcase is the same as other DVDs as Gladiator, Cast Away and TPM, but I really liked the disc holder for the second disc. It works better than others, and seems more durable. The only thing I didn't like about the packaging is that the promo sticker leaves a lot of that sticky gum when you take it off, and it just makes it really ugly.
I'm not goig to get into detail on the transfer, because it just looks stunning, as previous screeners have told us. I found DTS sounding better than DD. Since I'm from Mexico, and have a 2 year old daughter, I'm thankful of not only having a Spanish track, but a Dolby Digital one.
I haven't really get into the extras last night, but a really nice touch that I've never seen before is that you have subtitles for the audio commentary in English, Spanish and French. That really helps. I saw the HBO First Look, a typical one, but I enjoyed the interviews with the voice actors, something I always look for on these kind of movies.
One thing that I was expecting to see, reported earlier, was the extended ending which I thought it was going to be edited into the movie. It's everybody singing like in a karaoke party, but it is available at the end of the credits or separately via the menus. Anyway, its really fun.
I still haven't gone through the DVDROM extras. But once I get a microphone this evening, I'll try the Revoice Studio, which is the thing I'm most looking for in this DVD.
Enjoy!

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Hey JENARO, I live here in Edinbrug TX. 10min. from the Mexican Border. Where did you get it. Do all stores in MExico have the Region 1 Disc.
How long does it take to ship something from Mexico to U.S I'll send you 20 U.S dollars for Shrek right now
wink.gif

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Can't wait to get it, probably this week. But check out the DVD ROM voice feature (forgot what they called it) but it is supposed to work really well.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it here in Monterrey. The only problem buying Region 1 discs in Mexico is the price. It is always higher than in the US, because of import tax and profit.
I bought Shrek for around $36 US dollars. I think the actual price for this one is $19.95.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, promised last week I'd try and get my thoughts out by Monday but was rather tied up over the weekend, I barely had time to touch the discs. I'll start by standing by my thoughts after having seen the DVD on the HTF at Dreamworks a little over a month ago now in that Shrek (along with Fox's Planet of the Apes disc) breaks new ground for the format.
"play zee movie!
"yah, PLAY!
In a move that teaches Warner a lesson or two, Dreamworks combined the family and technophile aspects of a DVD into one fine two disc package, and whilst disc 1 holds the full frame transfer, one should not assume it's the J6P disc.
Indeed, Disc One houses some damn fun stuff no matter what your age, and the fact Dreamworks had about 40 of us howling at the "kiddie" games and re-voice studio on the LA meet is proof enough of this. Read 'Dreamworks Kids' as 'Dreamworks Kids....of all ages.' I kind of wish I had a little brother or sister to share the stuff on the first disc with, any of you with kids are just going to have maximum fun with this, but even on your own you cant help but laugh and enjoy it. I'm rather partial to a game of 'Pin the tail on Donkey.' :)
One of the finest and most innovative touches on disc 1 (apart from obviously, the re-voice studio) is a special sub-chapter selection menu found in the DWK section which unlike the standard chapter selections you will notice they're themed to scenes in the movie in a way that kids will easily remember. If you ever wanted to get your kids into DVD, Shrek should be the disc to use as with these menus they'll be working the remote in no time.
So Disc Two houses the things we HT geeks usually take to, the (stunning) 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby and DTS soundtracks (as well as French and Spanish 5.1 and English 2.0), the commentary...etc.
I can't praise the direct-digital transfer enough, it looks absolutely wonderful with Shrek looking like something you just want to reach out and touch. The detail in the blades of crass, the sunflower fields, shrek's home, donkey's hair....etc, it's absolutely incredible.
Sound wise I found the DVD to better that of the theatrical experience I sat through. Whilst both discs play host to English Dolby 5.1 tracks, disc two is the only place you will find the English DTS, French DD 5.1 and Spanish DD 5.1 audio. Both the English DD and DTS tracks are excellent, there's a very warm and welcoming element in the presentation of Harry gregson-Williams and John Powell's score (FINALLY getting a CD release next month, fans). Dialogue is strong whilst the surround LFE putout some subtle, and at times not so subtle (think Dragon) effects.
I'm still going over much of disc two's supplements. I've touched upon the technical goofs, a bunch of cgi blunders which we saw last month but I had to see again as they are far funnier then you'd imagine (especially the ones of Donkey). I've also watched the ever so brief International dubbing featurette, and last night I did go over the VERY enjoyable commentary track. There's still more though...
There's little else I can really, I don't want to go too in depth as Ron will have his big review up soon enough, and I don't want to steal his thunder, though I can't see us being in disagreement on this release, Shrek as a DVD is damn near perfection.
So IS there anything bad about the release? Yes, both box related. You'll find Dreamworks are doing a big X-Box, Baskin Robbins tie-in promotion for Shrek's home video release. On the front of your box is a little booklet stuck down onto the front of the keepcase, there's already a separate thread on this issue alone, but let me tell you that the sticker REALLY messes up the front of the box and it's a real task to clean up (though it can be done).
The only other gripe is that inside, Shrek uses a new type of flap to house disc 1, it's a tad different to the one seen on Phantom Menace, Gladiator....etc. The new design, whilst far more pleasing on the eye then what has come before, makes it very easy to damage the booklet when you try to take it out.
Apart from those issues, you can't go wrong with this. Did I even give good mention to those menus?
biggrin.gif

Dan (UK)
PS: I envy anyone with a decent projection set up. Run disc 1 and watch the sneak preview of Dreamworks 2002 animated feature 'Spirit.' While I may have little to go by on how it's going to be as a story, the combination of a cue from Jerry Goldsmith's Rudy score and the stunning opening sequence of the trailer (2.35:1 anamorphic) should be enough to make anyone with a seriously large screen display smile.
PPS:
One thing that I was expecting to see, reported earlier, was the extended ending which I thought it was going to be edited into the movie. It's everybody singing like in a karaoke party, but it is available at the end of the credits or separately via the menus. Anyway, its really fun.
I believe it being put back into the movie only concerned the VHS release. I like the movie ending as is, despite how damn funny the Karaoke supplement is.
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 23, 2001 at 04:12 AM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How the heck did they manage to fit all that stuff onto even 2 disks. The second disk especially seems to have a lot of space hogging items, four 5.1 soundtracks, the movie plus all those extras?
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well the movie really isn't that long, must play a large factor I am sure. Disc 1 has the most stuff on it once you include all the DVD Rom Material, there's just so much here it's overwhelming.
Maybe there is a bit too much DVD Rom material, those without a DVD Rom drive may not nearly get so much fun out of Disc1, but for anyone to not be satisfied at somethig on these discs in their own little way would be criminal.
"CAKE! Eeeeeeeverybody loves cakes!
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 23, 2001 at 11:28 AM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You know I just spotted something else, you can have the commentary on disc 2 subtitled in Spanish or French. They've thought of everything.
Dan (again)

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I was wondering, do they make any mention or show the early Chris Farley tests?

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I watched this disk last night and it was as funny and enchanting as I remembered it last May. I wasn't feeling too good for most of yesterday but Shrek brought me out of my malaise.
One observation on the soundtrack (not a complaint): it didn't seem as "aggressive" as most recent animated films tend to be (Titan A.E., A Bug's Life, etc.) with regard to surround use and bass, but maybe it's because I had my volume turned down to about 40 on my Outlaw 1050 receiver (I usually have it on 50 when I watch a DVD) due to a neighbour's complaint when I watched SW:TPM (volume on 55) two weekends ago! Still, I loved the DTS sound when the strains of music floated from the speakers during the first couple of minutes. And the Karaoke swamp party is hilarious!
Dan, do you have the info that says the score is being released next month?
Cheers,
Joe
------------------
Movie reviews and discussion...Link Removed

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
One of the finest and most innovative touches on disc 1 (apart from obviously, the re-voice studio) is a special sub-chapter selection menu found in the DWK section which unlike the standard chapter selections you will notice they're themed to scenes in the movie in a way that kids will easily remember. If you ever wanted to get your kids into DVD, Shrek should be the disc to use as with these menus they'll be working the remote in no time.
Except they would have to watch the 4:3 version...
You knew someone had to say it :)
Is this a recomposed version a la Bug's life, or a P&S?
------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Do any of the review sites have the review of this yet?
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks