Shrek problems

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AnthonyL, Feb 18, 2004.

1. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone had any problems watching parts of Shrek? A friend of mine has a JVC dvd/vcr combo player (dk the model) and it locks up/pixelizes and makes a weird noise around the 50 - 60 min. mark. I think he mentioned that he left the machine on pause while he took a nap. Can leaving a machine on pause a couple of hours be the problem?
    Please chime in.
    I will check if it plays on my machine tonight.

2. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Sometimes... there are these things called scratches. These scratches can(and will) make the dvd pixelate and make a weird noise. Clean off the dvd and try again.

3. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

leaving a DVD on pause shouldn't be a problem. most players switch to a screensaver and after a few minutes switch off completely.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    No problems on my JVC standalone DVD player. When is the layer change for Shrek? I assume that the player is having a hard time focusing on the second layer. If he skips ahead a couple of chapters does it still pixelate?

5. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

My Shrek Disk 1 becomes unplayable at the layer change. Fortunately, the widescreen version of the film is on Disk 2, which plays OK, so I don't really care.

6. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Stunt Coordinator

update-there seems to be a layer change at 53min20sec mark exactly. Can someone else confirm this. I tried it on my Pioneer player and at the 53:20mark it paused for half a second (I saw the word "SEARCH" for half a sec. on the players' display) but it played fine after half a sec. I also played it on my Apex with no problems. It seems that maybe certain players(JVC?) have difficulty playing the disc after layer changes. Is there a listing somewhere listing which dvds and player models incompatability? I believe some very earlier Toshiba players had problems too?[​IMG]

7. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I got a copy of shrek.. and played the widescreen edition of it.. but the angle button appeared on the screen and I could not turn it off. never had that problem before on any other dvds.

Jacob

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    The opening credits (and possibly other bits and pieces) make use of angles, so that they're displayed in the language that you watch the film in (i.e. English credits for English language version). Have you tried turning off the angle mark in your DVD player's setup menu? That usually does the trick.
    A lot of older Disney DVDs use that feature as well (e.g. the "Snow White" and "The Emperor's New Groove" Collector's Editions)

9. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

The only problem I had with my two disc edition of Shrek is that while watching the Widescreen disc, the DTS option has no sub activity whatsoever. DD 5.1 yes, but DTS, no. It's annoying, but since the disc is out of print, I don't see much of a chance of getting a replacement. Does anyone know if this was a widespread problem?

10. widescreenforever

widescreenforever Stunt Coordinator

arthurjulius
    I'd suggest,, you try the disc on another machine,, if it does the same it is the disc,, if it doesnt then it is the JVC machine trying to find the deeper layer.

Not familiar with the " JVC dvd/vcr combo player " is it fairly inexpensive player?

11. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there is no turn off angle in the dvd setup menu.

its an rca drc257n dvd player.

Jacob

12. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    You mean dvd player setup menu, right? Then I guess you can't do anything about it. Sorry.