What's new

Shrek & Monster Inc. (1 Viewer)

Rafael M

Agent
It's a little late but do you think Katzenberg(?) from Dreamworks SKG released Shrek/DVD on Friday to affect Walt Disney's Monster Inc.???

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
No. One's coming out on video, the other going into movie theatres. The only time there was a deliberate release pattern was when Katzenberg had Dreamworks rush out "Antz" before Disney/Pixar could release "A Bugs Life". The latter one hands down in box office and home video sales.
------------------

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Yes, sorry Peter.
wink.gif
This is called counterprogramming to some extent. DreamWorks knew very well the release date of Monsters, Inc. Shrek will probably do very little to the box office take of M.I, in the long run as the latter is one of the most highly anticipated films this fall season.
But by positioning its video/DVD release on the same day M,I. goes into wide release on November 2nd, and along with its huge advertising campaign, Shrek surely stands to benefit in this campaign and may even affect M.I,'s opening weekend box office take.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on October 14, 2001 at 11:53 PM]

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Shrek wont do much against Monsters Inc if the rumors of Monsters having the Star Wars II trailer are true...that alone almost guarantees good box office opening weekend. And also, I believe Shrek had a solid Nov 2 date before Monsters inc...as Monsters was originally Nov 15 or so before Disney took cover from Harry Potter a month or so ago.
------------------
card11.jpg

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
quote: Star Wars II = Fox/Lucasfilm
Monsters Inc = Disney/Pixar
I really think that those rumors are false...[/quote]
But remember that the Meet Joe Black trailer had the Episode 1 trailer, and Meet Joe Black was Universal while Episode 1 was Fox/Lucasfilm.
Now for Monsters Inc., it's going to have one hell of a hard time reaching $250 million (like Shrek). Shrek opened up right before kids got on summer break and quite a few people saw the film twice. Monsters Inc. is opening three weeks prior to a major holiday and Harry Potter owns that holiday as it is. I see Monsters Inc. taking $150-200 million at most. This could be the 1st time a DreamWorks/PDI CGI film kicks a Disney/Pixar CGI film's ass.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on October 15, 2001 at 12:39 AM]

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Star Wars II = Fox/Lucasfilm
Monsters Inc = Disney/Pixar
I really think that those rumors are false...

Not sure if the studio connection argument holds much water.
I distinctly remember going to see Enemy of the State for the Episode I trailer.
Episode I = Fox/Lucasfilm
Enemy of the State = Disney/Touchstone
Just a thought, Chad

Joel C

Screenwriter
Yes, but the Episode One teaser played with:
Meet Joe Black= Universal
and
The Waterboy= Buena Vista
Studios have little to do with it.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I saw the Episode I teaser before A Bug's Life, so I hope it plays in front of Monsters Inc., since I'll be seeing it as well.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
As far as I'm concerned, the best DVD Store around here (Metro Video) and the best movie theater (The Famous Players Paramount) are located in the same building so I'll be buying my copy of Shrek right after I buy my ticket for Monsters Inc.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
But dont forget that Lucasfilm once owned Pixar, it was a subdivision of Lucasfilm and they are real buddy buddy. Lucas even mentions it on the TPM DVD.
------------------
card11.jpg

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Oops, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know why I was under the impression that the Episode II trailer could only precede a Fox film.
As far as I'm concerned, the best DVD Store around here (Metro Video) and the best movie theater (The Famous Players Paramount) are located in the same building so I'll be buying my copy of Shrek right after I buy my ticket for Monsters Inc.
Maybe I'll bump into you. :)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
i believe the BO take was $350 million, the biggest movie of this year (so far)
In the US, Shrek has snagged about $265 million to date. That indeed makes it the top-grosser of 2001 so far, and I have a feeling it's going to retain that title. According to the Movie Times website, Shrek's snagged $432 million worldwide, which actually puts it second for 2001 behind Pearl Harbor's $437 million...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see how SHREK would effect Monsters sales. These are 2 different mediums. A movie at a theater and a movie on DVD. Most people will probably buy the DVD (watch it later or whenever) and watch Monsters at the theater.

Jeff Graebner

Auditioning
It is possible that Fox/Lucasfilm could release the SW:Episode II trailer the same weekend as Monsters Inc. and might even ask that theaters show it with that film. It is very unlikely, though, that the trailer would be shipped with the prints of Monsters Inc. or that theaters would be placed under any kind of contractual obligation to show them together.
Studios do sometimes physically attach a trailer to the prints of one of their own films. Fox might release the Episode 2 trailer with some upcoming film in that manner. I think the chances are pretty much nil that any other studio will do so.
If I remember right, the Episode 1 trailer was not attached to any specific movie. A lot of people associate it with "Meet Joe Black" because that was the most prominent new film the weekend the trailer was released, causing them to play together in a lot of theaters.
-Jeff

DanR

Supporting Actor
I agree with those who are saying that this is some kind of "steal the thunder" from Disney. However, I think it is done more for symbolic or ego purposes rather than for financial reasons.
I thought Shrek was just "OK", but I'll be damned if I'm going to miss Monsters, Inc. That's just me though. I also thought Bug's Life was vastly superior to Antz; I guess I just like the Pixar stuff better.
Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks