Shrek Layer Change

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Jewell, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Ed Jewell

Ed Jewell Agent

Did anyone else catch the layer-change in Shrek? I watched it on my Toshiba 6200 and at 53 minutes 13 seconds (the moment where Shrek dropped Donkey on the ground after watching the princess kick Robin Hood's ass) there was the layer-change. Although it only lasted for a fraction of a second (the untrained eye would sure have missed it) it still made me cringe. With Shrek being the most successful movie of the Summer season, I was expecting Dreamworks to release a flawless DVD of the movie. With the Mummy Returns, Episode I and even Swordfish having seamless layerchanges when played on my SD-6200, I was surely expecting Shrek to have one also. Does anyone else still cringe when they see a layer-change? Does this influence your purchasing of a DVD? I would like to hear your comments.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just be glad you don't have to get up and flip the laserdisc to side 2, or put in the second laserdisc for side 3. I think layer changes act differently on each brand of DVD player. It could be flawless on othre players and take a little longer on others.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

3. Dave L

Dave L Stunt Coordinator

When a layer change causes a pause in the action, I do cringe a bit and hold my breath that it isn't locking up. Otherwise, it's irrelevant. How could it influence my buying decision? They don't offer DVDs with a variety of layer changes.

4. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

NO WHERE in the movie did I notice a Layer change. I even looked at the part you mentioned and didnt see it. Even then, theres no action after she kicks robin hoods but, the action already happened [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

i didn't notice it either, on my jvc 65gd.

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I noticed the later change. Didn't bother me. In a room of about 9 people, I'm certain that I'm the only one that caught it.
    Then again, I was the only one in the room who watches 15 DVDs a week. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

7. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

I went to that exact time on the disc, [actually a few seconds before' letting it play through], and did not notice a change. I am using an RP91. Never noticed a layer change through out the whole disc. BTW, tryed it on both discs.

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

9. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Sadly, my Playstation 2(still don't have a better DVD player yet) started to act up on that scene last time. But gladly, unlike Fantasia 2000 or Unbreakable, it didn't say the disc has a error and just start to skip a little, which I then went back to the part I missed and works fine since.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

11. Mick B

Mick B Stunt Coordinator

Your exactly right Neil. I never got into laserdisc because i thought getting up in the middle of the movie to flip it was a mood downer. Now with dvd all of us in the family just shout out LAYER CHANGE, laugh for a split second and enjoy the show. No biggie.
    Mick

12. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

O.K.- so, I'm still NEW at this stuff ... so a really STUPID question is begging to be asked here, folks:
    What EXACTLY is a layer change, anyway? I've noticed some DVD cases mention 'double layer DVD', etc., but I can plead ignorance here.
    No flames, please- I'm still learning! [​IMG]
    Sorry for being slightly off-topic for a moment.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. AdamW

AdamW Agent

I haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet [​IMG]. Layer changes will vary from player to player. My Panasonic hardly ever has a noticeable layer change while my Philips is frequently noticeable. It'll also vary from movie to movie.
    ------------------
    Adam Wilson
    Back to the Future on DVD in: 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002!
    [email protected]

14. AdamW

AdamW Agent

William, William, William. A disc has multiple layers so it is capable of storing more information. When there is a layer switch, there may be a slight pause.
    ------------------
    Adam Wilson
    Back to the Future on DVD in: 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002!
    [email protected]

15. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Adam,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you (/mock bowing motion off)
    Hey, I told you I was still new! [​IMG]

16. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Just watched the Shrek DVD tonight, and definitely noticed the layer change. I really don't like the layer changes at all, even though they are a definite improvement over my days with laserdiscs. I did think the Shrek one was pretty cleverly inserted into the DVD and was fairly unobtrusive.
    I hope by the time I buy my next DVD player layer changes are transparent to me (perhaps from some sort of hardware feature???)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

18. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I checked it out on a Malata, Sony DVP-S3000 and Panasonic RA60, it was noticeable but just barely. Oddly, I think the brand new panasonic was slower than the 1st gen Sony. I mainly noticed because of a split second of silence.
    Its best when they put the layer change at a point where the camera changes position. I've seen some, although I can't think of any off hand, where they didn't put much thought in it. Those can be disturbing.

19. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Well, sometimes it seems that a better spot can be picked on some films (right in the middle of a music cue is the worst time to do a layer change) but I'd have to agree with some of the others that it sure beats flipping a laser disc. I can't believe LD owners put up with that. Film purists will say the film needs to be watched uninterrupted for maximum effect.
    I think a half second delay is a reasonable exception, although I have heard some people have trouble with dual layer discs, but I'm not one of them.
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

20. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I noticed it on my Panasonic A320 but thought it was pretty well placed considering the location of some layer changes I've seen recently.