What's new

SHREK is a must buy, even though 1.33:1 on Disk 1 is a waste. (1 Viewer)

AllenD

Second Unit
I didn't do any research on this DVD besides reading WSR's review. They list it as a "Two DVD-9 Discs/Anamorphic Widescreen" and I assumed Disk 1 holds the main title with DD & DTS w/o special features and Disk 2 contained all the SF which is what I've considered in the past as a std. two disk set. So, I didn't know Disk 1 contains the 1.33:1 full frame DD version instead of the much desired Anamorphic Widescreen version, which is on Disk 2 (which also includes the DTS track). Heads up! Don't make the mistake I made and pop in Disk 1 and expect OAR.
I didn't view the whole movie but did check a few scenes after Trick-or-Treating with the kids: Chapter 1 "Once Upon a Time," Ch. 9 "The Dragon's Keep" and Ch. 14 "You Ate the Princess." I chose these scenes specifically for the dark scenes. I'm really pleased with what I saw. Even though these scenes were darkly lit, details were still visible and they were very well done, and blacks are deep and rich. (I can't comment on EE since I don't look for it and didn't view the whole feature.) When Pixar made Toy Story I didn't think it was possible to surpass it's quality but Dreamworks did just that with this movie. The attention to details in Shrek is more astonishing than I've seen in other gems such as TS/TS2.
Warning:Possible spoiler ahead...
An amusing feature of the DVD is the use of fairytale creatures in the menu and in the karaoke musical. For example Baby Bear speaks in the menu saying "This menu's too small" :) and a one legged Ginger Bread Man singing "Do you really want to hurt me" in the karaoke dance party. It's truly hillarious and my kids are going to love it, too.
That's all I can really share for now since it's 1:30 in the morning and can barely keep my eyes open. I won't comment on the audio since I only listened to it at low levels.
Lastly, even though I'll never have a need for the 1.33:1 version on disk one, I'm glad it's there. (It's still a waste of disk space, IMO.) It shows a welcomed approach to catering to both J6P and OAR lovers. Dreamworks did a fine job in this respect, IMO, compared to what other studios have done.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, the times they are a changin' - primacy is given to the p&s/ff version.
frown.gif

------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...2, 1 Complete!

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I watched my copy yesterday. The quality is nothing short of breathtaking. It's perfect imo.
I only checked the extra features on disc 2 and while they are ok it's nothing outstanding. I'll check the features on disc 1 today.
I don't think that the P&S on disc 1 is a waste. They didn't compromise the quality of the OAR version in any way nor did they charge more. What do I care that in addition to some features there's also a version on disc 1 that I'll never watch?
As long as OAR is provided in the best possible quality I'm perfectly happy. And that's the case with Shrek.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I recall on mine Disc 2 had the DTS logo and the DTS version on it. Can someone confirm this for me. I was able to get it early and thought it was wierd by sight that the DTS logo was on the second disc and not the first. I'll watch it tonight since I don't have to work tonigt.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
As much of an OAR supporter as I am, I actually found a couple of uses for Disc 1. I can play it in the car for the kids or take it on vacation and not have to worry that the WS version gets messed up. You ever try and watch a WS movie on a 5" lcd screen in a moving car?!

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jerome-
Yes, disc 2 is the one with the DTS track on it. You are correct.
------------------
"We're hosed. We lost the remote."

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
(I can't comment on EE since I don't look for it and didn't view the whole feature.)
Actually, Allen, Frank Manrique, who is very sensitive to EE, noted an absence of it on this disc. He considers it reference quality. :)
------------------

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I see nothing wrong with the DVD's. The FF version had the kiddie extras and the 16x9 version has the adult extras. Best PQ I have ever seen.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
"I see nothing wrong with the DVD's. The FF version had the kiddie extras and the 16x9 version has the adult extras."
This is precisely what is wrong with this. It perpetuates the myth that children prefer FF.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just out of pure curiosity (remember I am a staunch OAR supporter), did Dreamworks try to recomposite the movie ala Pixar in A Bug's Life full frame version? If I remember correctly in the theater, Shrek must have been 1.85 so it would have been easier to digitally recomposite this than A Bug's Life which was 2.35.
BTW, Pixar didn't really succeed in their claims to "preserve every character" in the recomposite. I found many instances where characters were still cut off or omitted. I think it's technically impossible to fit most everything in a 2.35 frame into something that's 40% less space and still have it look natural...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Pixar also reformatted the Toy Story films to fit into a 4:3 screen. I would also like to know if Dreamworks did the same to Shrek.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
My wife and I started watching the first disc last night. Then I realized it wasn't DTS. I then put in the 2nd disc and it WAS in DTS. How weird that the 2-disc set would have the whole movie on each disc. Plus, on the 2nd disc is the commentary. Lots of features... most of them are DVD-ROM stuff, which I haven't had a chance to check out.
The two funniest things in this movie:
1. "No, not my gum-drop buttons!"
2. The fact that the Donkey's name is... Donkey.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
To be perfectly accurate, Pixar only reformatted Toy Story 2, the first film was not reimaged.
As far as Shrek goes, I would find it to be unimportant what was done to the FF version. The probability that myself and the majority around here will ever view it is slim to none.
-Chad

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chad, the reason I asked is that I like to see if they have achieved their claims: reformatting a film in 1.33 successfully without sacrificing their characters. Pixar failed with their efforts in A Bug's Life. I was just curious if Dreamworks was going to try a similar thing since Shrek is only 1.85 and would be considerably easier to attempt to digitally manipulate to 1.33.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Carlo-
I understand your question, I was remarking on the fact that most of us would not be watching the disc and the point would by moot.
Did you look at the reframing on Toy Story 2? I haven't checked it out myself and probably won't, but I would guess that it was much more easily performed on a 1.77 film versus the 2.35 of A Bug's Life.
How does this reformatting fit in with the OAR and the director's original intent? Seems to me that the intent is sacrificed for the benefit of people opposed to widescreen.
-Chad

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
My wife and I started watching the first disc last night. Then I realized it wasn't DTS. I then put in the 2nd disc and it WAS in DTS. How weird that the 2-disc set would have the whole movie on each disc. Plus, on the 2nd disc is the commentary. Lots of features... most of them are DVD-ROM stuff, which I haven't had a chance to check out.
Didn't you notice that the film was in full-frame on disc 1? The DVD is structured so that Disc 1 is basically "for the kids" with the 1.33:1 transfer
rolleyes.gif
, a non-audiophile soundtrack (read: Dolby Digital, hehe), the interactive games, some other stuff. Then the second disc has the proper widescreen transfer, I guess because only "film buffs" or adults can appreciate widescreen
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
. Also obviously the DTS and commentary and other more technical things.
-Tom

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Okay here is my question. Will Blockbuster screw us and only rent out the first disc, or let us have our widescreen too? (I don't even know why I'm asking, I'm going to buy it rather than give my money to them anyway.)
------------------
Derrick Ellis
www.djderricke.com
[email protected]

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm nitpicking here, but I do wish they would have switched the designation for Disc 1 and Disc 2. Better than not including an OAR version, but still not best.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My thoughts exactly (you posted it before I could). Make disk 2 disk 1 instead, and vise versa.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chad,
Obviously the reframing is against the director's intent. The thing with Pixar at least is that all of the principles who worked on the theatrical version worked on the Full Frame version. So it could be seen as an alternative intent.
That being said, there was no way they could capture everything in the 2.35 frame and put it in a 1.33 frame. It was an admirable effort but one that ultimately they shouldn't have to make, if OAR would just be accepted.
I'm just looking at the Full Frame versions of these films as more of a science project, just to see if it could be done since all of the characters onscreen were digital and could be easily manipulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks