Shrek easter egg?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tolsky, Nov 7, 2001.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I know this has been covered before, but somebody please tell me how to access the character interviews on disc one.
    Thanks!

2. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Special features --> Cast --> "Mike Myers" --> Interview
    I don't think this is an easter egg it is easily accessable and clearly labeled.
    -Chad

3. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Oh, I got the feeling they did some "interviews" with the characters themselves. Are you referring to interviews with the cast (voice) members?

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

David,
    The interviews on Disc one are of the characters (Shrek, Donkey, etc.), not the actors (Myers, Diaz...). The where dissapointing for me. The whole menu system for Shrek is also rather difficult to navigate, especially for a disc aimed at introducing kids to the format.
    Jared

5. Chad Gregory

I haven't been able to find anything with interviews with the actors (Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy) themselves. Just the short (one minute long) interviews "in-character".
    Maybe it's just me, but it took me about an hour, maybe an hour and a half to go through everything on these two discs. Add the commentary and that is only 3 hours of total features, so much for the touted 11 hours.
    On the whole the extras on this disc are a disappointment.
    -Chad

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

If you highlight the buttons on the gingerbread man and press enter, you get an interesting factoid about the movie. I'm not sure how many there are, but I got a different factoid when I escape out and re-entered. Not sure if this is has been uncovered by anyone else, or is an actual easter egg.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Chad: the 11 hours of extras is a bit over-inflated.
    Did you watch both versions of the movie? The different format counts as ~2 hours of "extras".
    Did you watch the movie with the commentaries on? Yes, this often counted as ~ 2 hours of "extras".
    (They might even count watching the Spanish/French soundtracks as "extras", and perhaps the ProLogic soundtrack as well).
    The Making of Shrek, the Tech of Shrek take about another 1 hour. Add a few more minutes for all the animation bloopers, theatrical trailers, Storyboard proposal for deleted scenes, etc.
    I dont know how many hours they calculate the cast bios/sketches take up. But I'm sure they have a number.
    So in reality, it's about 1.5 hours of interesting extras, or 11 hours of "Marketing Department" extras.
    I'd be upset too, but disks from different studios all seem to use this "creative math".

8. Chad Gregory

Bob,
    It is amazing how Dreamworks (and a large amount of others) seem to tout this release as something it is not.
    1.5 hour film, 1.5 hour commentary, 1 hour extras = OVERHYPED RELEASE
    While I enjoyed this film (especially the voice work of Mike Myers), it just doesn't measure up with other animated films over the past couple years.
    Not to mention that this set would be considered weak in comparison to A Bug's Life, Tarzan: CE, Toy Story: UTB
    -Chad

9. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Dont miss the cool Karaoke songs video of the character cast. To access this, go to disc 2 main menu and hit up on the dpad. A musical note should appear, click on it and enjoy.
    ------------------

10. Chad Gregory

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

12. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The 11 hours includes the time spent playing with the DVD-Rom features.
    Especially the Re-Voice Studio program which lets you redub 12 scenes!
    ------------------

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think if you take the time to go through all the DVD ROM games once, you are at least over 8 hours of material. Add the commentary (90min), the sticker (5 hours) and the other stuff and you have more like 20 hours of material on the DVD.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's