Shrek - Amazing Image Quality!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Oct 26, 2001.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Although "Final Fantasy" may present slightly more impressive animation, I personally think that "Shrek" presents even more enjoyable image quality on the DVD release from Dreamworks. The bright, vibrant color scheme is beautifully rendered, with even the most subtle shading looking wonderful. Sharpness and detail are impressive and the picture has a remarkably three-dimensional look. Nothing in the way of edge enhancement or pixelation.
    The audio is clear and enjoyable, but there's really nothing particularly agressive, except for a couple of intense moments.
    Supplements, from what I've seen so far, are enjoyable, as I'm currently working on a full review.

2. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Aaron,
    I am not impressed by the transfer quality of Final Fantasy at all (see FF thread). But i have very high hopes for the Shrek transfer. If i am not mistaken, its Dreamworks first direct digital transfer (Antz was film)? If it is even more impressive than their excellent Road to Eldorado transfer, i am going to be in heaven. Shrek is one of my favorite movies of the last few years.
    Thanks for making me drool. I will probably get it on Monday. Can't wait!
    Bjoern
    ------------------
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
    Bjoern's Place (my HT in action, DVD reviews, SPL measurements...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Yes.
    Antz was mastered from the original telecine master. There was no direct-digital print.
    When Antz came out on dvd, direct-digital masters were not the norm at the time.
    I wish Dreamworks would rerelease Antz from the digital master. It could possibly have BOTH DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 on this one. I think that would be good for people who dont have the DTS dics thats out now. I know some wouldnt want to give up their Fullbitrate DTS copy of Antz.
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

5. Frank Abeyta

Frank Abeyta Extra

As an interesting side note, Dreamworks has placed the Full Frame Version on Disc 1 and the Widescreen Version on Disc 2. This is the first time i've seen this configuration. Usually it's the other way around.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
  7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I just had the pleasure of spinning the Widescreen version of Shrek in DTS.... Truly stunning transfer guys.... The colors are so lifelike, I thought the characters were going to jump out of my WS RPTV!!! [​IMG]
    I previewed some the extras at Dreamworks in September, and will work my way through them extensively in the next couple of days. I have seen enough to tell you that this dvd will most likely be the best selling dvd of the next few years... This Christmas, Shrek will take out Gladiator in sales figures... I'm sure Dreamworks won't mind that [​IMG]
    I truly applaud Dreamworks on an A+ DVD!!!!
    Well, off to Rock and Roll High.... To Look at Joey Dripping Pizza all over his face!!!
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I just watched it and yes, it ranks as the best PQ I have ever seen on DVD to date, better than TS2.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Forgot to add in my post the disappointment I felt in the sticker they chose to permanently stick to the front cover. If you try to unpeel, it ruins the plastic on the case. I had to change the case to a spare one I had.
    ------------------
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

10. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Can anyone post a picture of this "dreaded" sticker?
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

11. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Truly amazing video and the DTS track gave the movie even more life. Well done Dreamworks. [​IMG]
    L
    P.S. I had no problem taking the sticker off the cover. There was a little residue, but I took it off with some GOO GONE and the cover is fine.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

quote: Dreamworks has placed the Full Frame Version on Disc 1 and the Widescreen Version on Disc 2. [/quote]
    I predict that in the future we will RARELY see a 1-SKU configuration where different AR editions of the same movie are "one on each disc".
    Studios will be worried that the consumers will team up and split the cost of ONE package.
    "$19.99 for Shrek?!?! Great...give me $10. You can have that nasty widescreen version on the 2nd disc, and I'll keep the first disc with the fullframe version. Flip a coin and we'll see who gets to keep the original case, and who has to use an AOL freebie case instead".
    Unlikely to happen, but in my Computer Software retail days, it was a concern of the manufactuers who put both a floppy disc and CD version of the same item in 1 box. Or IBM and Macintosh in the same box. Or - a long time ago - 3.5" and 5.25" disc versions both in the same box. They eventually tried to pull away from this 2-versions-in-1-box configuration model, simply because they were worried that 2 consumers would team up and split the cost of one purchase.
    I'm sure this dreaded "menace" of splitting costs will rear it's ugly head again. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 27, 2001 at 06:13 AM]

13. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk

14. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I don't think the Studios will ever embrace the DVD-18 format. From what I heard a Technicolor, the process is costly and there are many technical problems with the 18's....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

15. Michael Lee

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Michael,
    All copies should have a little booklet stuck onto the front of the box regarding an X-Box/Baskin Robbins tie in instant win type game. At the very least you're likely to win a free ice cream cone... When you peel off the booklet it leaves this god awful residue on the box forcing one to go to great lengths of patience to remove.
    Dan (UK)

17. Michael Lee

18. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Can anybody explain why so many people have this DVD already? Isn't it due out on 11/2? I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this one, but I'd love to have it now also.

19. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I was one of the lucky HTFers in attendance at Michael Lee's home last night and I can certainly say that SHREK is stunning. Great video and great sound! We were all blown away with the excellent dvd transfer done by Dreamworks. They really are giving Disney/Pixar a run for the money.
    In fact the Dragons Castle scene will be a demo chapter for every Home Theater this season.
    Again I must say, I Love DVD!
    JohnG [​IMG]
    ------------------

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    To get back to the topic at hand, I felt the animation was even better than Final Fantasy. Granted, the characters faces have a decidely cartoony feel to them in a way, but I think that this was done so it would appeal to kids more. Check out the animation of the grass, flowers etc when the donkey is being pursued by the armed guards at the beginning of the film. I have never seen animationthis beautiful before. The picture is stunning and 3D.
    ------------------
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie