Shrek 3 is coming!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Bill Williams, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Not too surprising, since Shrek is a known quantity, and these things take a while to get made in the first place, so getting preproduction started is a no-brainer.

I'm a bit surprised about a sequel to Shark Tale, since that's less of a sure thing. Dreamworks must have confidence in it...

Jason

3. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Yay, a third movie I won't have to see! More change in my pocket.

Sorry; I know there are a lot of fans, but Mike Myers is enough to keep me away from anything. Someday he and Adam Sandler will dominate the cinema and there will be no more movies I can watch.

I'll try not to crap in any more threads; not something I usually do.

Something positive:

I bet the DVD will look great!!

4. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I bet they'll keep using that dated "Hey Now You're A Rock Star" song in the Shrek 3 trailers too, since they obviously weren't content with just dating the first movie horribly.

5. chris winters

chris winters Second Unit

I thought the shrek 2 trailer was pretty funny. Looks very promising. Using contempory music is part of shreks style. Its a double edged sword, yes it dates the movie, but it also adds a pop culture edge.

6. chris winters

besides, how is that any different from a "regular" film using a popsong. Top gun and Danger Zone, etc...

7. Sean Laughter

I may be completely wrong about the song's use in Shrek, but when I hear 80's songs from movies I remember only seeing them in the movie (I was rather young in the 80's though so I guess I'd associate the songs with the movies more). Shrek was the first movie I saw where there was a song used that was played on the radio seemingly months before the film's release that wasn't being played on the radio as being associated with the film. It felt to me like they said, "Oh, this song is popular, let's stick it in the movie." It completely drew me out and just seemed stupid to me for the song to be used. It wasn't like that damn Celine Dion song from Titanic which I couldn't stand, but it's use didn't bother me because it was always associated with the film (of course I think it was only used in the credits too - the "pop" version anyway).

Of course, the song's not the only problem I have with Shrek, and not the prevalent reason I can't stand it, but it was the very first scene in the movie, so it left a rather bad mark.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

While I agree that the consistent overuse of one particular pop song does manage to 'date' the movie just a little bit...

...so freakin' what??? [​IMG]

I feel no shame whatsoever in professing my deep love for the first Shrek and, if the quality is kept up to the standards of the original (i.e. no DTV bullshit), then they can make 17 of 'em for all I care.

A few more Shreks and maybe Myers will turn down Cat in the Hat Part 2.

(Yeah right.) [​IMG]

9. Sean Laughter

the quality would have to be hugely increased from the first one to get me interested in any sequels

10. chris winters

there seems to be alot of mixed feelings about shrek. It was a huge hit, but some folks really seem to hate it. What are some of the reasons. Its hard not to admit its damn funny in parts, and pretty touching as well. Pop songs aside, whats not to like. just curious. I saw some bits of shrek 2, and it looks hilarious. Laugh out loud funny. Not sure about any new pop songs though. Is this just an old case of pixar vs dreamworks rearing its ugly head? is that not room for BOTH? I liked both
    monsters inc, and shrek, both quality while both being very different. what else could we ask for in a year as animation fans?

11. Sean Laughter

I've never even seen or had any interest in seeing Monsters Inc., so it's certainly not a Pixar vs. Dreamworks thing (I prefer Antz to A Bug's Life for instance).

I just think it is a poorly made film, with horrid pacing, basically made up of disconnected, isolated scenes that don't flow properly, with characters I couldn't give a crap about, coupled with the most annoying Mike Myers performance ever (someone who I generally enjoy in his films), and wrapped in pop culture references in order to lure people into the film and attempt to make them find something funny about it and like it because they couldn't find any non-pop culture jokes to put in the thing.

12. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

One reason I hated Shrek is all the toilet humor; and as Sean said: bad pacing and undesireable characters.

I did like the Gingerbread man torture scene though.

EAT ME!!

[​IMG]

13. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've got to agree with Scott on this one, I really love the original. I don't have a problem with Shrek being full of pop culture references, hell my favorite TV show (the Simpsons) pretty much does the same damn thing, so why would I complain? It has nothing to do with Dreamworks Vs. Pixar either, I liked Monsters Inc., Antz, Finding Nemo, all the same so which studio is behind them matters less to me.

I'll be in the theater for Shrek 2, and hell why not 3 if they're going to do it.

I've got to agree also with whomever said that they were more surprised by the follow-up to the other film because it is not a known comodity. I'll check out the film in October and we'll go from there.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The sole reason I don't like the first Shrek any more is that it wasn't as good the second time through. I'll probably see Shrek 2 (I work at a movie theater, I'll see it for free) and I hope it'll be good, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

15. Sean Laughter

I don't really mind pop culture references in television shows, but aside from that the pop culture references in Simpsons and South Park are used for meaningful satire and commentary on the times, neither of which is present in Shrek.

16. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Please, please, please let this happen.

My view - There were scenes in Shrek that were absolutely brilliant - Gingerbread Man torture, etc. I disliked the toilet humour. I thought the pop culture was okay, if a little overdone. I was annoyed by the way they were inconsistent in their world - does anyone really believe they have Tic Tacs in that fairy tale world (that was made more annoying because it didn't even serve a decent joke.)

Overall, I enjoyed it, own the DVD, and will see the sequel. We'll see what that's like before we think about Shrek 3.

17. andrew markworthy

'Toilet humour' is usually taken to mean stuff that only the sort of teenager that can socially function in a group of age peers likes, solely because it is offensive. I saw none of that in Shrek, nor did most people. There is *earthy* humour aplenty, but if you hate that, then avoid Chaucer and Shakespeare, because their works are full of it as well.

As for 'bad pacing' etc, were you watching the same movie as everyone else? It's v. well plotted! The narrative structure is a series of vignettes parodying different aspects of fairy tales linked by a straightforward 'boy meets girl' (okay, 'ogre meets girl') story. Nothing wrong in that, and a narrative thread linking vignettes again is an old and respected literary device.

There is plenty of comic material in parodying fairy tales (Shrek is hardly the first to do this) and there should be enough for at leat three movies.

18. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Lord Farquad (sic) was the only redeeming feature of the film. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I believe there was a bulge in the sheets while he was dreaming of the princess. Caught me way off guard and had me rolling...

19. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

20. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Watched some of the second one the other day on tv because it was in HD. I wonder if some of the people involved in that thing are embarassed at this point. I was certainly embarassed for them.

That link isn't working for me but I imagine 3 is gonna be more of the same.