What's new

Shrek 2 - where are the reviews? (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Advance screeners were sent to some media outlets, but it really wasn't worth the trouble. The discs had forced subtitles warning against copying across the top and the bottom of the widescreen image that obscured nearly half the picture--and they appeared during the entire movie. And the discs had to be returned after just a few days.

It's disappointing not to get screeners, but this one wouldn't have been worth the bother. I know that many reviewers, myself and at many web sites, protested these kinds of screeners when they threatened to become prevalent a few years ago. The campaign appeared to work. It's disappointing to see the trend starting to come back with major releases. CTHE recently did the same thing with Seinfeld.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The original Shrek 2-disc is selling for less than $10 around here, easy to get...makes me disappointed at the 1-disc Shrek 2's pricing locally, which is a fair bit more than in the U.S. it seems.

I bought my "2" at Wal-Mart, same price as everywhere else around here. I didn't notice the bonus disc was a CD...I've never got a CD by itself in a DVD case before. Not that I'll ever play it, but it would have been nice to at least fit it in my CD rack to collect dust...

Forced trailers too? Hmmm, this one may be going back, until it's priced "better" or re-released...I'm a little disappointed in the extras too.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Does somebody have contact information for Dreamworks? I'd like to let them know exactly how I feel about this release.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched the widescreen version and I have to say I was impressed with the picture quality. Now it was late so I might be hearing things but, I noticed in chapter 17 right after the large gingerbread man gets a frothy hair-do I seem to have heard a pop in the music. The pop happens in the next scene as the fairy god mother starts singing (forgot the exact running time but, I remember it occurs between the 46-48 second mark of that particular minute of film). My girlfriend insists I am crazy. If someone gets a chance just either confirm or deny I am crazy lol...thanks

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the movie (Region 4) and the sound and picture were great. Bought mine at Blockbuster for $27.95 (Australian) single disc but you get 4 shrek place mats. No problems with audio that I noticed.

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
Although I had not seen Shrek 2 during its theatrical run, I purchased it (at Best Buy for $15.99) based on the very entertaining and clever original, which was the only animated DVD I own.

Although the first film had a more conventional story line, Shrek 2 is much funnier and had more references that adults will respond to. It's a real hoot. Plus the picture and sound quality are very good.

It's rare when a sequel is better than the original. Highly recommended.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up yesterday...nothing like a good round of forced trailers to really piss me off...although that doesn't nager me nearly as much as this whole box set nonsense.

Whoever is behind the marketing decision involved here...well...I decided its best not to say what I'm thinking. I'll just say very bad move.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
did anyone else notice that the ending is changed on the DVD release then what we saw in the threater? More specifically the arrival of the dragon with her babies?

KrisM

Second Unit
I went to buy the Walmart version with the bonus CD and they had a fullscreen version with CD, but the widescreen version without.:thumbsdown: They were priced the same($24.99CDN). It sounds to me like they are rewarding people for being stupid. "You don't know what OAR is? O.K., here you moron, have a free CD." I really don't care that much, as I was just going give the CD to my niece, but I did leave and buy the DVD elsewhere.

Regards
KrisM

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
oops I guess I didn't watch the credits long enough then...I thought I scrolled though them looking for that scene but either was skiped by it or I didn't wait long enough :b

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Actually, I was quite amazed at how much Dreamworks packed into the single disc release of Shrek 2.

There are quite a lot of bonus features, and there are six audio tracks (English Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby Surround 2.0, French Dolby Surround 2.0, Spanish Dolby Surround 2.0, and TWO audio commentary tracks).

The best thing about the DVD release is that you can go through the movie frame-by-frame and see all the innumerable parodies (and I really do mean it) they put into the movie.

And yes, I enjoyed just as much as I saw it in the theater. :emoji_thumbsup:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Don't get me wrong, I think that the DVD is tremendous, and commend all that worked on it. Although, those that marketed it or thought it would be a good idea to only release the 4 disc set in fullscreen are the ones that deserve to be employed elsewhere.

Oh, and listening to the director's track, they tell us that the version of the film they are watching is a fullscreen version. They mention a specific gag by saying "If you are watching this in widescreen...look for the..." and then they say that they themselves are watching a fullframe version and thus can not see the gag.

Great track though.

I enjoyed the film, I saw Shrek 2 this afternoon and went to Incredibles this evening and don't know which I like better.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Funny you should say that... I still have an email address from DreamWorks in my DVD Resource address book, of someone who took DVD very seriously, and shared our enthusiasm for doing things right.

I dashed off an email last night asking what gives with Shrek 2. It bounced back as non-deliverable.

This is what happens when good people leave a company: the people in left charge do things wrong.

- Steve

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

I was able to find it a Walmart with bonus cd in WS. I have noticed everyone has paid about $5 less for new releases than I have to. It may be where I live. I could drive 45-65 miles to Knoxville and save $5 bucks, but I would spend that much in fuel easy. The picture was great. The sound, ok. I was pleased over all with it. The forced trailers are not right!:angry:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Both movies were mixed this way regardless of codec encoding.These movies put dialog as a number 1 priority over music an effects,as oppose to the typical Disney/Pixar type of mixing,which are effects heavy.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I too think PIXAR audio mixes are a lot better than the ones in the SHREK franchise. I also think, after seeing the DVD of Shrek 2, that the writers at PIXAR are also a bit better too at combining adult jokes and humor that all can enjoy. Aside from the abundant and clever winks and nods in the Shrek films, the stories themselves aren't that fleshed out and fairly pedestrian.

Dan

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone have trouble with what I assume is a layer change? During the last 1/3 of the film, when Fairy Godmother and King are talking in the room, and "Human" Shrek is watching through the window, my whole system resets, due to something on the disc triggering a sound format change (like when you go from stereo main menu to 5.1 feature audio. I've never had a layer change do this before. It's totally repeatable, not a random thing. It always happens in this one spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks