Shrek 2 - Voiced differently for different countries

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rodney Martin, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Rodney Martin

Rodney Martin Stunt Coordinator

Just read a review for this film on the guardian site (http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...251483,00.html). According to this review, 2 different voice actors will be used for the UK version, Jonathan Ross replaces Larry King and Kate Thornton replaces Joan Rivers. I really hate this decision, i think there should be one version for all english speaking nations. If they really want to discourage importing DVDs from other regions, they should reconsider this. Whilst I think Jonathon Ross is very funny, I still think this replacement is a pointless waste of time. And as for Kate Thornton, she is B list in the UK at best, why they would make this baffling replacement, i dont know what she has to offer over joan rivers, besides better looks, which don't matter a jot in this type of movie. I think this is a worrying new trend and just wondered what you all think.

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

It's what happens when a movie relies so much on pop-culture and fad references that may not be applicable to all areas of the world rather than superior story-telling. Definately a problem that plagues the Shrek films (though Shrek 2 is a vast improvement over the first film).

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Interesting - and a strange change. I mean, its not as though Larry King and Joan Rivers are unknown. I'm from little old New Zealand, and I know who they are, so surely those in the UK would understand the reference.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

They're not unknown, but the popculture gags related to them definitely wouldn't have as much impact as they would in the US.