SHREK - #1 selling ever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

The computer-animated hit Shrek has become the biggest selling DVD in the format's five year history.

A Dreamworks press release has announced that the deluxe DVD version of the film has sold 7.9 million copies domestically and generated $420 million in sales. Overall, Shrek has sold over 21 million copies on VHS and DVD combined since it arrived in stores Nov. 2. Worldwide, 10 million Shrek DVDs have been sold, making it the biggest-selling DVD of all time, the press release said

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Didn't most members on this forum predict that Stars Wars: The Phantom Menace would come out on top?

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Right now, DVD sales is literally exploding, the "record" sales number is really not yet all that meaningful (didn't Gladiator just set that record not that many months ago?). As a matter of perspective, Matrix was the first DVD to hit the 1 million copy mark, and we are looking at 10x in a little more than 2 years(took 4 years for the first million copy VHS to happen, it was Top Gun), right now, it just seemed hard to say what number is a true "big" number.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I'm glad for Shrek. When The Matrix hit it's million mark, the install base for DVD's was much smaller than it was now.

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Yes, I guess that's the big point to consider. The "pie" just keeps getting bigger WRT to the number of DVD players in consumers' homes, which I guess makes it easier to set software sales records. I'm just happy that the format is making so much progress and is growing.

Now if we can just ensure the longevity of OAR...(where have I heard that before?)

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer