Showtime's "Queer As Folk" season 1 DVD set, details/pic released!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    from www.dvdfile.com;
    Just announced from Showtime Entertainment is a 1/8 release date for Queer As Folk: The Complete First Season. This six-disc set contains all of the first season's 22 one-hour episodes, uncut and unedited, with almost 3 hours of extras including extended scenes, original casting tapes, never-before seen outtakes, and commentary, Retail is $119.95 for the set.
    Here is a pic of what the DVD set will look like;
    http://www.dvdfile.com/images/box_ar...lk_season1.jpg
    [Edited last by Michael Allred on October 04, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Yecch! I saw that show when I got a free preview of Showtime, and I loathed it.
    BTW, I am gay. As a gay person, I found the show to be an embarassment; as a TV viewer, I found the show to be quite uninteresting.
    Why can't they give this kind of treatment to deserving shows, and there are few, in my opinion, that have come in the past decade. I would gladly pay $120 for a disc set of one season of a truly great drama such as Hill Street Blues or St. Elsewhere, not a dime for calculated attempts such as these to pander to radical gays who seem to judge entertainment by its PC quotient.
    ------------------
    Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm very excited about this announcement. I'm not sure what is loathed about the show, but I would recommend against judging any program on the basis of one random episode. I think the year-long character arcs were strong and compelling. I can't wait for season2.
    I posted about this release a few days ago, prior to DVDFile's announcement, but have yet to hear whether the release will be anamorphic widescreen. That's the one question I want to have answerred before I preorder.
    And although one might find that other productions are "more deserving" of DVD release - I don't think that's justification to warrant NOT releasing this product, which I would be willing to bet sells quite well.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

4. Dylan Davis

Dylan Davis Stunt Coordinator

QAF is hardly PC.
    I cant wait for this set!

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I never watched it. I know this may sound unfair and silly, but I never watched any of the Showtime shows- i saw rude awakening once and thought to myself "man, showtime is no HBO" and never looked at any of the other stuff again.
    My GF, however, loves this show, so I'll prolly pick it up. I'll give it a chnace when i can sit down and watch em all...

6. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

I saw all 22 episodes and I have to agree with Matthew. As a gay guy I found the show embarrassing (and not because it wasn't PC, but I've ranted too much about the awfulness of this show on these forums to go into that again), and as television drama I found it exceedingly poor. No doubt there are more worthy television series that deserve DVD release, but for those we'll just have to wait. Anyway, the show does have its fans; and at least this will make them happy.
    -Jerry

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I found the show got much better around episode 10 when they stopped trying to rip off the original UK show all the time (and failing horribly) and came up with their own material.
    Jeff Kleist

8. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Has anyone figured out if this is gonna be widescreen(i.e. anamorphic)?
    ------------------
    My Scary DVD Collection

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Well, I guess since they are the 'special edition' episodes, yet it only says 'over 3 hours of content' or whatever, we can hopefully assume that it means the widescreen versions.
    Because didn't showtime air some of them in widescreen calling them Special editions? and if so then if they do those wouldn't it go way over 3 hours? Or are they just going to have those commentary's on a few episodes. I guess we won't know until the discs are finally here...

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

12. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    anamorphic widescreen
    from www.dvdfile.com
    Just announced from Showtime are the full specs for that Queer As Folk 6-disc special edition, due on 1/15.
    Running over 900 minutes, all the first season episodes are included in anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 5.1, along with a host of extras - special editions of episodes 1, 11 and 18 with actor and producer commentary, gag reel, extended scenes with introduction by Hal Sparks, "Meet The Folk" biographies and filmographies, photo gallery, "At A Glance" indexes, show bumpers (i.e., TV spots), a sneak peek at season two, and DVD-ROM extras including exclusive content and weblinks. Retail is $119.95
    ------------------
    My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html