What's new

Showtime's programming resurgence (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I just have to ask.. seriously..

What changed at Showtime? Who took over PD? I mean, talk about a shift of shows to watch.. in the last three years, Showtime brought out:

Dexter
Weeds
Brotherhood
Sleeper Cell

Even their 'second tier' series (like P&T: Bullshit!, etc.) are at least largely entertaining.. more so that the continual tired programming HBO keeps throwing out there.

But those four above, at their best just rule. I'm just saying that because this summer, HBO threw out a clear program designed for "Adult Themes" and aimed at their demo.. "Tell Me You Love Me".. and Showtime came out with "Californification".. of everyone I've ever met, I can't think of many who would tell me that "Tell Me You Love Me" is more watchable then "Californication". And while Californication was supposed to be a comedy, TMYLM a Drama, "Californication" comes off as infinitely more real with characters I have come to actually care about. And the drama elements of Californication.. like a guy regretting losing his ex seem far more something I can relate to then a psycho wife who basically leaves her husband after going through 900 pregnancy tests and finding she can't get pregnant for whatever reason..

I don't know, I always feel as though there is a common "tone" to programming that causes people to lock in and follow. And for a long time, HBO was the leader of the band with real cutting edge, interesting programming. And then they started to murder it.. "Carnivale" went away without a summary. While I wasn't a big fan, "Deadwood" was quickly run off. HBO tried several series that just went nowhere (Lucky Louie?). It's like Showtime somehow got hold of a PD who just had his finger on the right pulse and they've put out some really strong programming efforts.

This isn't about the past, I mean, Showtime isn't going to go back and say "from the network that brought you 'Sherman Oaks' " but HBO is desperate to fill the holes that "6 Feet Under" and "Sopranos" left.. and if someone would have told me four years ago that Showtime would be the network that would roll out programming like "Dexter" and "Californication", "Sleeper Cell" etc. I would have been shocked.

Just saying it in this thread because "Californication" is when I said it's more the rule then the exception.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This is The Wires last season. Entourage has a season or 2 left. I'll watch both of those, but am not investing in new HBO shows. Maybe Ill start watching The Simpsons again.

12 Miles of Bad Road(w/ Lily Tomlin & Kim Dickens), In Treatment(w/ Gabrielle Byrne), True Blood(w/ Anna Paquin)... None of it sounds interesting.

Word from Ian McShane is the they started taking down the Deadwood set so I guess the movies arent happening :frowning:

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm in agreement with you, Chris. I'm actually shocked about Showtime's resurgence. I cancelled Showtime after they cancelled Stargate SG-1 and thought I'd never subscribe again. Then came Dexter. I watched the first episode on a free preview weekend and was instantly hooked. Dexter's still the only one I watch but I've been very tempted to check out Brotherhood and Californication.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks