Showtime on Dish HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Packman, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Robert Packman

Robert Packman Auditioning

Hello: This is my first post,as I just started getting High-def last week.I have a Echostar(dish)6000 for Hi-def and Direct TV for the rest(due to my location,thats how i can get HDTV due to the elevation angles of the sats..)Anyway, the Demo channel is great HBO for the most part fills the 16x9 screen but showtime seems to be letterboxed and actually looks curved on the top and bottom(like the old cinerama) that is how their sample looks on the demo channel also,of one showtime pic..the rest looks great and my set is calibrated perfect Toshiba 65x81..Can someone explain the general rules what is upconverted and what is shown in 1080 and will fill the 16x9 screen without cutoffs on the top or sides..Thanks

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Crap. I had a long reply to your post, but not sure what happenned to it.
    Anyway, gnerally speaking, HBO will fill your screen while Showtime preserves the OAR (original aspect ratio) with either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 ratios. Meaning that Showtime will have black bars at the top and bottom of your screen with movies that have 2.35:1 aspect ratios. We all here want to preserve the aspect ratio and discourage what HBO is doing with most of their 2.35:1 movies (cropping them or openning up the mattes to fit and fill up our 16:9 sets).
    You can descern what is an upconvert and what is true HD for Showtime presentations at the following link:
    http://www.sho.com/schedules/