What's new

Shows You're Disapppinted That Weren't Released This Year (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
With the year winding down,I figured I'd start this thread which,as the title said,is about shows you're disappointed that they weren't released this year.I've also included comments,for each one. In no particular order,they are:
  • Charlie's Angels - I figured the final season of this show would be released to coincide with the reboot,but obviously wasn't. With the reboot only lasting a handful of episodes it's highly unlikely that will be released on DVD,so the chances of getting the final season are practically next to none. I guess the marketing department at Sony failed Marketing 101.
  • Angie - Mill Creek said late last year/early this year that they were going to release Angie,but,this past summer,it was removed from their list of upcoming titles that they were releasing the rest of the year.
  • B.J. and the Bear - This has an unreleased ranked of 22 on TSoD and is Universal's highest ranked shownot yet released,and yet it isn't out yet on DVD. Over the summer,there was a report of Greg Evigan say B.J. was going to be released,by the end of the year,on his Twitter account. But,unfortunately,this turned out to be a hoax.
  • Saturday Night Live - I was hoping that the music issues might have been resolved and we'd get further season sets. If not the Eddie Murphy seasons then,at least,the Carvey,Hartman et al years.
  • In Search Of - I have long been wanting to see this released on DVD. With shows like Unsolved Mysteries,Sightings and similar show already available ,I can't whythis isn't. Add the fact that Leonard Nimoy is the host and I think name recongnition would make this a big seller.
There are more shows that I can add like Battle of the Network Stars,Eight Is Enough,but,with comments,the post would become very lengthy,as you can see.So I'll leave it there.If any of these shows were released it would have made this pathetic year much better.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Ironside". At the start of this year, we were practically told we could expect two more releases this year which would have gotten us to S6 (it even looked like it would reach its sixth season before "Perry Mason" did!). Then lo and behold the rug got pulled out from under those of us who have suffered with the release schedule of this show for quite a few years with the out of leftfield announcement that Shout doesn't even have the license for the final four seasons! "Adam-12". Yeah, I know S6 is finally coming in early January but this series should have been finished this year to go along with the finished work for "Dragnet" and "Emergency". I have no idea why this title had to be held up 15 months between releases short of getting some good bonus content. "Burke's Law". Someone dropped a rumor a year ago at this time that maybe we'd see some momentum on this and get that long-hoped for second season (which is all I want; I don't need to ever see "Amos Burke"!) would come. Not so alas, and this great show remains incomplete with my favorite guest shot of Nancy Kovack's still available only as a low quality boot for me. "The Bob Newhart Show". Amazon teased us with pre-order listings for S5 and S6, but nothing came of them alas. "The Big Valley". I keep hoping that this long-delayed big screen version (which sure seems to be taking a long time to finish!) would mean there's still a chance for this title to get restarted. Not to be alas.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Route 66 and The Untouchables - both series have only one season to go to complete the series. Was really hoping we'd see both series finished this year. Not meant to be, I guess.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I thought Warner Archive would be more active. True, they released some long-awaited titles but none I am interested in buying. "Alice" and "Flo" are already available as digital-downloads, how hard can it be to burn DVDs for those who want 'em? I also wished for a continuation of "Facts of Life" and the final seasons of "Rhoda" and "Charlie's Angels" too but have given up hope on those.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
The final two seasons of Mr. Belvedere. Fortunately, the series has made a return to syndication on familynet, after what seems like forever, and no doubt those final two seasons will be there. Unfortunately, it's not the same as having them on DVD, not to mention the fact that I don't even have familynet.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Amazing Stories The Complete Second Season Night Gallery Season 3 Darby

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Other than the Fugitive fiasco and Batman and The Green Hornet (wishful thinking): Have Gun Will Travel season 6 Route 66 season 4 (now semi-announced)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Season 5 of Charlies Angels is at the top of my list too. Very surprised plans weren't in place much earlier to get it out. Didn't realize the remake series came and went already, but the promos I saw of it looked insufferable so it's no big shock there. I have a sneaking suspicion that Shout! will pick up and release the last season of Night Gallery at some point. It seems a big no brainer since it's one short season and once released they can re-package them all into complete series sets. We waited a long time for Season 2, so it still could happen. I'm making a Sunday afternoon ritual of spinning one ep of Big Valley, and loving it. Shout! also has a working relationship with Fox so it would be great to see more of this show released- at the very least, the second half of the second season. Don't know that I can say I'm disappointed we didn't get it this year since I wasn't really expecting it, though. One big disappointment I just remembered- no Avengers on Bd. I was fully expecting it this year and then nothing- not even in the UK. Hard to believe we would get something like Space:1999 in HD years before The Avengers.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm still totally mystified as to why "Maverick" remains unreleased in season sets. The transfers used on the "Western Channel" seem ready to go to DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Bob Newhart Show tops my list simply because the Amazon pre-order listings made it seem as if this might finally become reality. Maverick is another for which I just don't understand the delay. Can it *really* be music issues as a few have speculated? (I'm so tired of music rights holders causing TV series to be not released or severely edited to remove overpriced tracks) The Green Hornet - yeah, it's in the same rights hell as Batman, but with the new theatrical movie release it seemed as if there might be a glimmer of hope. Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Green Acres - all stalled far too long. For what once were very popular series it just seems odd that no further DVDs have materialized. My Hero - Another long stalled British series that needs completion with only 2 series released in the US (the UK got 3 before being stalled).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Would love to have the last season of Night Gallery.

Also, it's not a vintage show, but I don't understand why Fox hasn't gone ahead and released Lights Out from this past season. Yes, the show got canceled after 13 episodes, but it might be one of those shows that got discovered on home video.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Batman and Green Hornet - I sure wish someone would pull everything together for complete series releases.

Cannon, Barnaby Jones and Matlock - I hope these can be restarted (with excellent remastering for Cannon from here on).

Mr. Peepers - Is there any chance at all for this?

One Step Beyond - Great season 1 release, then nothing.

Sgt. Bilko - Great season 1 release, then nothing.

Untouchables - Only one season to go - surely we can get the rest of this one.

NBC Mystery Movie - All remaining series.

Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres - Still with many seasons to go, wish these would get restarted.

The Big Valley - Great western series, I wish we could at least get the other half of Season 2. How about a licensing deal, Fox?

These would be good starters for me.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I'll second some of the titles already mentioned, like "Alice" and "BJ and the Bear" but at the top of my list is the Love Boat. I really want as much of this series as possible, a TimeLife complete set would be a dream come true.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Bettlejuice, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Cartoon Network's library of shows. I don't get it. The Warner Archive was specifically set up to take care of those kinds of shows and they've dodged questions at every turn. "Retail may still have plans for them". Yes, that's exactly why some of those shows have been stalled since 2008 and the rest haven't seen any releases of all. The Muppet Show is an obvious another: They have a major motion picture in theaters as we speak that's basically Disney's tentpole holiday film, ad not so much Season 4 as a tie-in?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Can think of the following shows which haven't been continued on Region 1 this year:

Early Edition: Season Three (just two seasons left)

Hotel: The Second Season (was the first season set overpriced?)

The Muppet Show: Season Four (maybe this could be released when The Muppets is released on DVD (and Blu-ray)?)

Simon & Simon: Season Six (high music clearance costs for Seasons 6-8 preventing a Shout! Select release)

The Streets of San Francisco: Season Three (the episode "Mask of Death" and possible music clearance issues)

The Untouchables: Season Four (just one season left and the 1991 TV movie, also starring Robert Stack).

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I really did think there would be some movement on MAVERICK this year because last year during one of the WB "chats" the WB rep dropped a fairly strong hint that MAVERICK would be announced before too long.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to keep my disappointments to the shows there was a slight rumor of coming out in the past few years. They include: The Lieutenent (on Warner Archives) When Things Were Rotten (mentioned a few years ago on tvshowsondvd.com) Salvage 1 (a slight rumor) Since a new company is releasing the Sid and Marty Krofft catalogue, I was really hoping that Far Out Space Nuts and the Lost Saucer might make it out. But so far, no news. It's terribly disappointing that all they did was re-release HR Pufnstuff and season one of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. There were some cartoons that were on the coming out "list" that haven't made it out yet: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, Inch High Private Eyes, Gilligan's Planet. I do think that it's a shame that Maverick(, being as well known as it is, hasn't come out at all yet. But it's just as well, I don't have the money for all these shows either. :(:( James

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks