What's new

Shows you would love to see on DVD but probably never will (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
A lot of great shows are being mentioned in this thread. I particularly like some of the series ChrisALM and Peter listed. And I love Jeff's genie pic (although I'm thinking he'd prefer a Barbara Eden version if he were stranded on a desert island).

I'll add a few more (apologies if some of these were already mentioned):

Aldrich Family
Appointment w/Adventure
The Brothers
Crusader
Death Valley Days
December Bride
Ellery Queen ('51)
Federal Men
Fireside Theater (or just about any other 50's Anthology series of like vintage)
Follow That Man
Grindl
Hiram Holiday
Kentucky Jones
Millionaire
Noah's Ark
Our Miss Brooks
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Tugboat Annie
Whirlybirds
Wonderful World of Disney (season sets)

Among many, many others. :)

Gary "there's actually still a lot of 50's TV in particular that needs to be released" O.

mark-edk

Second Unit
VR.5
Veritas: The Quest
Masquerade (Rod Taylor, a variation on Mission: Impossible)
Breaking Away (with original, not recut/rescored, pilot episode)
Eischied (including To Kill a Cop)
That's Hollywood
Tenafly
Travels of Jaimie McPheeters (with original 2nd episode, not flashback re-edit)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Fast Times.
(It was a spinoff from the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Here's my list
CRIME/DRAMA: Dante (w/ Howard Duff), Richard Diamond (w/ David Janssen), China Smith (w/ Dan Duryea), Johnny Midnight (w/ Edmond O'Brien), New Adventures of Charlie Chan (w/ J. Carrol Naish), Boston Blackie (w/ Kent Taylor), Colonel March of Scotland Yard (w/ Boris Karloff), The Thin Man (w/ Peter Lawford), Shannon (w/ George Nader), I Led Three Lives (w/ Richard Carlson), Decoy (w/ Beverly Garland), Passport to Danger (w/ Cesar Romero), The Third Man (w/ Michael Rennie).
ADVENTURE: Ivanhoe (w/ Roger Moore), Richard the Lionheart (w/ Dermot Walsh), Captain Midnight (w/ Richard Webb), The Count of Monte Cristo (w/ George Dolenz), Captain Gallant of the Foreign Legion (w/ Buster Crabbe)
COMEDY: It's About Time (w Joe E. Ross), My Mother the Car (w/ Jerry Van Dyke), No Time for Sergeants (w/ Sammy Jackson), Dusty's Trail (w/ Bob Denver), Mr. Terriific (w/ Stephen Strimpell), Love that Bob (w/ Robert Cummings), My Hero (w/ Robert Cummings), The Many Loves of Dobie Gilies, Amos n' Andy, Our Miss Brooks

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ron1973 said:
I was just talking about Trapper John (Pernell Roberts) on a Classic TV fan page on FB!
Where is this page on Facebook? I'd like to read what you had to say!

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
maskedmala said:
Here's my list
COMEDY: It's About Time (w Joe E. Ross), My Mother the Car (w/ Jerry Van Dyke), No Time for Sergeants (w/ Sammy Jackson), Dusty's Trail (w/ Bob Denver), Mr. Terriific (w/ Stephen Strimpell), Love that Bob (w/ Robert Cummings), My Hero (w/ Robert Cummings), The Many Loves of Dobie Gilies, Amos n' Andy, Our Miss Brooks
Mr. Terrific is out in region 2 - I got it from Amazon.com. It has the English and German soundtracks. While the opening credit animation remains the same the song is missing.
http://www.amazon.de/Immer-wenn-Pillen-nahm-komplette/dp/B0026L8MDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354475775&sr=8-1

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
maskedmala said:
Here's my list
Mr. Terrific is out in region 2 - I got it from Amazon Germany. It has the English and German soundtracks. While the opening credit animation remains the same the song is missing.
http://www.amazon.de/Immer-wenn-Pillen-nahm-komplette/dp/B0026L8MDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354475775&sr=8-1

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
A lot of great shows are being mentioned in this thread.  I particularly like some of the series ChrisALM and Peter listed.  And I love Jeff's genie pic (although I'm thinking he'd prefer a Barbara Eden version if he were stranded on a desert island). :D
I'll add a few more (apologies if some of these were already mentioned):
Aldrich Family
Appointment w/Adventure
The Brothers
Crusader
Death Valley Days
December Bride
Ellery Queen ('51)
Federal Men
Fireside Theater (or just about any other 50's Anthology series of like vintage)
Follow That Man
Grindl
Hiram Holiday
Kentucky Jones
Millionaire
Noah's Ark
Our Miss Brooks
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Tugboat Annie
Whirlybirds
Wonderful World of Disney (season sets)
Among many, many others.  :)
Gary "there's actually still a lot of 50's TV in particular that needs to be released" O.
I'd say you're right ;)
Another show I forgot that Mark mentioed is Eischied
Gary, your list is a good one. I'd get some of those if they ever got released.

mark-edk

Second Unit
And a couple I forgot to mention but just remembered are The Feather & Father Gang (they scammed bad guys via elaborate cons) and The Delphi Bureau.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Since I don't see it already mentioned, might I add THE POWERS THAT BE, an hysterically (at least to me) political comedy starring John Forsythe
and David Hyde Pierce. I still giggle every time I think of the suicide-prone DHP lying in bed, reading a book about various methods of offing
oneself, as he commented "Done that. Done that. Tried that. As if!"

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
#1-Sheena, Queen Of The Jungle (1955-1956). We've already learned on this board that the heirs of the original producers, the Nassour brothers, have good quality prints of all 26 episodes (only 17 are available in public domain releases) but they aren't willing to underwrite the costs to put out a good set which is a pity. Irish McCalla was the first true superheroine icon of TV decades before Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman.
#2-Crazy Like A Fox (1985-1986). A terrific light mystery show enhanced by the San Francisco location work and the great father-son chemistry of Jack Warden and John Rubenstein. This was a hit show in the time period after "Murder She Wrote" but CBS then purposefully killed it by moving it opposite "Dynasty". I've never forgiven them for that. I don't know who owns the rights but I remember there were four sets of producers which I don't think would make rights issues easy to sort through.
#3-Project UFO (1978). I'm less optimistic of this simply because it's the only Jack Webb show not controlled by Universal. Webb made this after he left Universal and the rights basically now reside with CBS/Paramount through acquisition of the Worldvision library. I suppose it could end up in a MOD program of theirs but I think this is the kind of program they might not even be aware they have! At any rate, I'd only want to see the superior first season with William Jordan and the superior theme music. The second season with Edward Winter (much too high strung and too ingrained in the public mind from his schizo MASH role to take seriously as a "straight" military officer) is really unwatchable for the most part.
#4-Goodnight Beantown (1983-1984). I too remember this nice piece of light fare with Mariette Hartley and Bill Bixby, who built off the great chemistry they had in the memorable Incredible Hulk episode they did together for this sitcom as dueling news anchors. Don't know who owns the rights.
Some other titles that I think do have an outside chance of making it to DVD would be "Operation Petticoat" (1977-78), "CPO Sharkey" (1976-1978) and I have to think someday we'll finally see "The Ghost And Mrs. Muir" (1966-1968).

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I agree with some of the shows already mentioned (esp. Goodnight Beantown and the 3 Sanford & Son spin-offs). Here are a few more:
Burns & Allen - I know there are PD releases with several episodes, but I wish someone would do an official release of the whole series. I'd never seen it until I started getting Antenna TV and it's become one of my favorite TV comedies. I'd also like to see the even less likely to be released George Burns Show, though mainly out of curiosity. Considering how important Gracie was to the show, it's hard to imagine how it could work without her, even though Bea Benaderet and Larry Keating were still involved.
Chico and the Man - I bought the TV Favorites disc when it came out, but it's past time for a release with more than just 6 episodes.
Harper Valley P.T.A. (later renamed just Harper Valley) - I still have my VCR recordings from when this aired briefly on TV Land years ago. I'm surprised this hasn't come out by now. There are few enough episodes to combine both seasons into one set.
United States - I only saw 4 episodes of this Larry Gelbart comedy (really more of a dramedy) back on the old Trio network's "Brilliant But Cancelled" programming block, but I liked it and would like to see the entire 1-season series.
Duet / Open House - This was a series that started out good, got really bad when they skipped over showing Ben & Laura finally getting married so that they could age Linda's baby several years between Seasons 2 & 3 and have episodes focus on the annoying kid, and then it got somewhat good again when the show was revamped and renamed to focus on Linda and Laura working at the real estate agency. I'm surprised that at least the Open House era hasn't been released to take advantage of the current popularity of Ellen Degeneres, who was part of that final season.
Check It Out - I really liked this mid-80s Don Adams comedy set in a supermarket as a kid. It's no Get Smart, of course, but still enjoyable.
Orleans - This was one of Larry Hagman's post-Dallas series. CBS didn't give it much of a chance at the time, but I remember liking it.
Frank's Place - What is it about CBS and shows set in New Orleans? They didn't give this series a 2nd season either, but it was a great show and I'd like to see a release.
WIOU - This is another 1-season series I wish would get released.
Switch - I remember seeing a few reruns of this as a kid. Great cast (Robert Wagner, Eddie Albert, and Sharon Gless).
House Calls - Wayne Rogers may not have been playing Trapper John here, but from what I remember his character here felt more like a true follow-up to his MASH character than Pernell Roberts did on his show.
2 Hal Linden series after Barney Miller ended: Blacke's Magic and Jack's Place
These are just the shows that came into my mind while reading the thread and not seeing them mentioned. I know there are others I'll think of later. I didn't include shows I've never seen but would be willing to blind-buy if released, and I also didn't include shows that have had at least 1 full season released (even those that seem to be abandoned) because the list would then have been much, much longer.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Survivors wtih Lana Turner at her best. Strong cast helped the show too. I called it a Jet Set Peyton Place.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063954/

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Four weeks early, but I hope all of you get a few of your "Holy Grails," or items on your wish list for 2013. Granted, these are long shots, but some long shots do come through.
James

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
The German amazon link for Mr. Terrific also shows a DVD for Run Buddy Run, 13 episodes... Along with popular requests like Batman, Doby Gillis, The Loner, I'd add Switch and Movin' On ....

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I love many of the shows already mentioned, but one I would love to have is
FILTHY RICH - from 1982, it starred Dixie Carter, Delta Burke, and Anne Wedgeworth as bickering relatives. Almost, in a way, a precursor to Designing Women. Not a great show, but a good one, and I would love to be able to watch something better than my deteriorating VHS tapes from 30 years ago. (30 years - how can it be.)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
SANFORD - Later sequel to Sanford & Son. Redd Foxx as Fred is always good for a lot of laughs.
FLAMINGO ROAD - Short lived night time soap that aired on NBC. Good, campy fun with a rather spooky ending.
BRET MAVERICK and also YOUNG MAVERICK - sequels to MAVERICK, which I also wish WB would finish releasing on DVD.

paddypoke

Auditioning
Real Name
patrick patton
What about "The man who never was " with Robert lansing. A GREAT show, sadly underated and cancelled half way through it's run. At least it did tied up all the loose ends in the final episode

paddypoke

Auditioning
Real Name
patrick patton
Yeah, "Crazy like a fox" was a classic. Can't understand why they killed it off. It was a cracker of a show

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks