What's new

Shows you would love to see on DVD but probably never will (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
As a child of the 80's I remember a lot of shows that just didn't make it, though they seemed to have something going for them. Some of these were spin-offs of hit shows; a character proved popular and was given their own show. Some had great actors and simply didn't make it. Here's my list of shows I remember growing up that haven't made it to DVD, at least officially:
BJ & The Bear ~ this was said to be coming to DVD on Greg Evigan's Twitter page (if it was really him) but it never has. It's available "under the counter" so to speak from some various websites but the picture quality is a crap shoot on many of the episodes.
The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo ~ It was said a few years that Trucker Flicks was supposed to release a bootleg copy but it never materialized. The two crossover episodes with BJ and the Bear do appear on their release of BJ and the Bear.
Enos ~ At the height of Dukes of Hazzard mania, Enos got his own spin-off that lasted a season. I was in hopes Warner Brothers would have it as part of their Dukes of Hazzard package (maybe a bonus disc at least of an episode?)
Flo ~ Yep, kiss her grits, she had her own show! I don't know how long it really lasted but I don't think it was long. I'm thinking WB would have the rights to this one as well.
The Ropers ~ Ah, another 80's spin-off that just didn't quite make it. Another fish-out-of-water scenario, Mr. and Mrs. Roper move into an upscale neighborhood, complete with their piece of crap car!
Three's A Crowd ~ The other "Three's Company" spin-off that fared worse than The Ropers.
Goodnight Beantown ~ Starring Bill Bixby, it lasted only 18 episodes. I remember watching it as a kid and loved it.
So there's my list. What else would y'all love to see on DVD that will probably never make it? Feel free to add or discuss what I've offered!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard V said:
Batman
The Green Hornet
Oh, I agree. I was mainly focusing on one season wonders but sadly it doesn't look like we'll see either of those anytime soon.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
And it is beginning to look like we'll never see the completion of the following:
The Beverly Hillbillies
Green Acres
Petticoat Junction
Phil Silvers
Barnaby Jones
The White Shadow
It looks as if though we'll not see Mayberry, RFD anytime quick either.

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Project U.F.O.
The Good Life (starring Larry Hagman & Donna Mills)
The Kids from C.A.P.E.R.
The Governor and J.J.
Name of the Game
Fridays (the SNL ripoff from ABC)
Hey Landlord!
Supertrain (yea, was a painful series but they still should release it;-)
Fernwood/America Tonight
The Ugliest Girl in Town
He & She
The Girl with Something Extra
Laugh Trax (starring Howie Mandell)
Run Buddy, Run
Captain Nice

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Ones I would like to see on DVD but seems unlikely are -
Batman
He and She
The Defenders
The Third Man
Cowboy in Africa
Flipper season 3
My World and Welcome To It
The Green Hornet
Fantastic Journey

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
My list is small since I've been fortunate to have seen most of my "big wants" released on DVD during the TV/DVD era.
Cliffhangers (1979) I think Universal owns this so maybe it's a possibility for a "Shout!" release down the road.
Carter Country (1977-79)
How The West Was Won miniseries (1978-79) (R1) I think it's an MGM property but not sure.
A Peaceable Kingdom (1989)
And the Sea Will Tell miniseries (1991)
My "pie in the sky" choice, won't happen since it's been released by Image:
Combat! (1962-67) Re-release remastered from original elements & no time-compression.
Ain't gonna happen...unless I crash-land on a deserted island and find

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The Great Adventure -- a 1963-64 U.S. history anthology series that lasted a single, 26-episode, season. Hosted by Van Heflin and with theme music by Richard Rodgers. Filmed in black-and-white.
Slattery's People -- a 1964-65 series about a state legislative leader starring Richard Crenna that lasted 36 episode spread over two seasons (26 and 10). Filmed in Black-and-white.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The ones that come immediately to mind (and there would be a lot more if I sat down and thought about it for a while)

Amos 'N Andy
Jack Benny Program
Life of Riley (William Bendix)
I Married Joan
Pete and Gladys
Calvin and the Colonel
The Bill Dana Show
Captain Nice
Texas Wheelers
Caribe
Project UFO

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
FLO has been available as a digital download for about 3 years now on Amazon; and I am almost certain that after Season 4 of ALICE comes out from Warner Archive where her character exits the show, FLO: THE COMPLETE SERIES will be made available on MOD DVD. Warner Archive has almost stated this flat-out several times on their Facebook page.
I wish the same could be said about IT'S A LIVING. The more upscale counterpart to ALICE, this 1980s waitress comedy is my Holy Grail and featured a revolving door of amazing actresses that included Ann Jillian, Susan Sullivan and Louise Lasser, among others, but it's the piano-lounge renderings of countless songs performed by Sonny Mann (Paul Kreppel) that prevent it from coming out on DVD.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Quatermass Experiment (1954) missing portion.
Requiem For a Heavyweight (1957) with Sean Connery.
Macbeth (1961) with Sean Connery.
Search for the Nile, with Michael Gough.
Peyton Place -- only the first couple of months of episodes, then nothing.
Batman, 1966-69.
The Outsiders (1968) with Don Murray.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
The Fall Guy (Season 3-5)
Hart to Hart (Season 3-5)
Matt Houston (Season 2+3)
Barnaby Jones (Season 2-8)
Dan August
Crazy like a Fox

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kasey said:
FLO has been available as a digital download for about 3 years now on Amazon; and I am almost certain that after Season 4 of ALICE comes out from Warner Archive where her character exits the show, FLO: THE COMPLETE SERIES will be made available on MOD DVD. Warner Archive has almost stated this flat-out on several occasions on their Facebook page.
I wish the same could be said about IT'S A LIVING. The more upscale counterpart to ALICE, this 1980s waitress-comedy is my Holy Grail and featured a revolving door of amazing actresses that included Ann Jillian, Susan Sullivan and Louise Lasser, among others, but it's the piano-lounge renderings of countless songs performed by Sonny Mann (Paul Kreppel) that prevent it from coming out on DVD.
I stand corrected! Thank you! I remember that show and I think I may just go buy it!!!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Angie
Fernwood 2Night/America 2Night
Filthy Rich
the three spinoffs of Sanford and Son

And since someone's gotta carry the torch, any version of WKRP in Cincinnati that even remotely resembles the original broadcast versions.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
"The Gov. & PJ"
"Best Of The West"
"The Mike Douglas Show"
" The Gypsy Rose Lee Show"
"Peat & Gladsy" [pardon the spelling]
"The Farmers Daughter"
"The Ghost & Mrs, Mure" [spelling again:rolleyes:]
"The Jimmey Durante Show"
"The Hollywood Palace"
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!
:pc:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
DRAGNET (non-P.D. 1950s episodes, unless Shout/Timeless somehow swing it, but I'm doubtful)
PANIC!/NO WARNING (again, unless Timeless can get ahold of it, isn't going to happen)
WICHITA TOWN (ditto)
KLONDIKE/ACAPULCO (ditto)
BUS STOP (Fox... nope)
WAY OUT (unless it gets some sort of special 'Paley Center' release, there's no way)
THE WESTERNER (Fox... nope)
GREAT GHOST TALES (has even less of a chance than WAY OUT)
RAUMPATROUILLE ORION (an english-friendly release of this German sci-fi series)
CORONET BLUE (CBS/Paramount obscurity... nope)
BLUE LIGHT (Fox... nope... though the episode-composite movie, I DEAL IN DANGER, has been out)
CAPTAIN NICE (owned by NBC... I'd be surprised if this ever came out)
JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN (Fox... nope)
THE IMMORTAL (CBS/Paramount obscurity... nope)
LONGSTREET (ditto)
SPACE GIANTS (another one that isn't coming, unless Shout takes a hand)
DIANA (forgotten half-season MARY TYLER MOORE wannabe starring Diana Rigg)
WKRP IN CINCINNATI (a proper, un-messed-with release)
Q.E.D. (a.k.a. MASTERMIND)
SCTV (the final Cinemax season)

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
bmasters9 said:
Trapper John, M.D.
I was just talking about Trapper John (Pernell Roberts) on a Classic TV fan page on FB!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks