Shows you think deserved one more season

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much every Saturday morning show from the 60s and 70s. Even some legendary shows only got 16 or 17 episodes. All the Krofft shows went off the air without the central conflict being resolved. Meanwhile, some really good Hanna Barbera shows only got the one season.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Every time I watch something now, I think, oh yeah, this show could definitely use another season....

Zorro could have stood a third season. Definitely a "kiddie" show, but Guy Williams and Henry Calvin are so enjoyable together. It is a very sweet show, and I think I end up smiling just like a kid whenever I watch it.

And, Equalizer. Edward Woodward is so intense as the troubled ex-spy. But you never want to meet him in a dark alley at night. I think I read somewhere that CBS had renewed it for a 5th season. But then they pulled the plug to spite Universal for hard-balling them over the price for renewing Murder She Wrote. I would have definitely enjoyed another 22 episodes with Robert McCall.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Pretty much every Saturday morning show from the 60s and 70s. Even some legendary shows only got 16 or 17 episodes. All the Krofft shows went off the air without the central conflict being resolved. Meanwhile, some really good Hanna Barbera shows only got the one season.
Absolutely right. The Alvin Show should have run for triple the number of episodes at least.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I would have liked a 3rd season of Laredo, with Claude Akins getting a regular role to replace Neville Brand who was having issues doing a television series. They then could have dropped Robert Wolders who was hired in season 2 to help ease the workload from Brand. Wolders never seemed to me to fit well in the series, and they could have gone back to the original premise with 3 rangers.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
There are several that I feel could have gone on at least one more season. However, some would have to bump up the quality.

Soap--would like to have had a 5th season, but the writing would have to get better. Season 4 started off good but really went downhill fast. If this couldn't be accomplished, then a 2hr series finale to wrap things up.

Dynasty--same thing. Needed to bring up the writing quality but I feel that there was only one more season left in this one. It has pretty much run it's course. It was never quite as good as Dallas or Knots Landing.

Wonder Woman--would have needed some serious rethinking to continue. Keep the new LA IADC boss but dump the rest of the supporting cast. They were really annoying. Better yet, dump the whole moving to LA thing and have Diana back in Washington with Steve. Give Steve better things to do other than being chained to his desk week after week.

Rhoda--finish out the 5th season but under the condition that everyone is aware that it is the final season so they can wrap things up.

Phyllis--give her another season. The show finally found it's direction in the 2nd season. However, tell the producers that it will be the last season.

WKRP--there was still some life left in this show. It should have had a 5th but final season.

Space 1999--the quality needed to return the that of the 1st season but there was still some life left in this one.

The Incredible Hulk--it should have been allowed to complete the 5th season with a proper series finale. Those post series movies just didn't do it for me.

Gilligan's Island--believe it or not, I think this show had one final season left in it but it would have to be its last. It was high time they got off that island once and for all.

Battlestar Galactica--if, and I do mean if, that memo outlining the 2nd season was bogus, then the series still had so much life left in it. However, if that meme turned out to be true, then the show would have been finished in the middle of the 2nd season. Those changes were just awful.

Planet of the Apes--they would have to drop the boring formula that seemed to happen week after week on this one but with good scripts and stories, a 2nd season could have been really good.

Star Trek--I'm of two minds on this one. I would have loved to have a 4th season, but unless the quality was raised I fear more junk episodes would have followed. While I don't think the 3rd season was a total waste, there were far too many rotten episodes than good ones.

ALF--I don't think it had another season left in it but it did have enough life for a proper series finale. A 2hr wrap up episode would have been nice. That Project ALF film was not a proper ending.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
How about The Ropers? The cancellation also coincided with the end of the special proviso requested by Norman Fell and Audra Lindley in their contract that they would be allowed back on Three's Company if The Ropers stalled in the ratings, which it did.

~Ben

Reactions: Purple Wig

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
There are several that I feel could have gone on at least one more season. However, some would have to bump up the quality.
[...]
Gilligan's Island--believe it or not, I think this show had one final season left in it but it would have to be its last. It was high time they got off that island once and for all.
Since another season never happened I wondered later on if three was just right. Maybe a 4th season would've been too much or really bad/tedious and then the attraction it had in reruns would've really diminished. There was talk that Tina wanted to leave the show and Sherwood may have let her escape and be replaced in some fashion. Who knows? It's undeniable that it's lasted to this day.

As for a 4th season? I saw this once on a Gilligan's Isle website. One can be skeptical if this is true or not, but in any event:

"The Original Gilligan's Island Fan Club" purchased a script copy of the last episode "Gilligan The Goddess", and discovered several forth season proposals which were yellowed and deteriorated.

1)"Proportional Potions": Gilligan finds a drink which makes him miniaturized.
2)"Another Start Is Born" or "Bye Bye Birdy": Ginger climbs aboard a rowboat (Titanic Jr.) and gets rescued.
3)"An Eye For An Eye": Ginger Grant is replaced by Miss Krissy and Miss Sally.
4)"No Bill For This Tab": Guest star portrayed by Tab Hunter appears.
5)"Ahoy Matey": Modern day pirate 'Silver Long-Johns' comes to the island.
6)"Eye Detect You": Gilligan thinks he's Dick Tracy and ruins rescue.
7)"Who's The Dodo?": Professor tracks what he thinks is the rare Dodo bird while Gilligan finds a lamp which when rubbed brings forth a genie.
8)"Laugh until It Hurts": Comedian Paul Lynde guest stars to 'test' jokes on the castaways.
9)"My Favorite Alien": A silly alien lands on the island.
10)"I Hear You": A singer (Bobby Vinton?) guest stars as Mary Ann's, Miss Sally's, and Miss Krissy's favorite singer.

In 1963, during the show's proposal, CBS executives wanted an episode where Gilligan finds and befriends a dinosaur on the other end of the island. Sherwood said that if the ratings continued to slip, he may have had a marriage of a couple castaways who would later have a baby, or he would use the 'hotel' idea.

A lot of them sound plausible and out there enough!

ODDS & ENDS:
--Over 15 years ago I had a friend who was really in to Gilligan's Island. I was unemployed and had no funds to celebrate his birthday in any great fashion so I decided to write him a Gilligan's Island episode. I made it a Christmas episode. The episode had a guest star, who I specifically wanted to be played by Paul Lynde. (So when I read the above list some years later it amused me that Paul Lynde was also an idea put forth.)

--An acquaintance I met once told me when he was in college he had a script writing class and one of their assignments was to write what they would consider to be an excellent episode of Gilligan's Island. The professor's idea was that it was a show that so many people derided, that they could use their creative juices and see what happened. I'd have loved to read those.

--A friend of a friend of mine had a job for a time as a script reader for an agent, in the 90's. In the office he came across a movie script for a film version remake of Gilligan's Island. My friend got him to make a copy of it for me, as he knew I'd be interested in reading it. I was very interested. When this happened I was going on vacation to Hawaii in a few weeks, so I took it with me to Hawaii and read it on the beach at Waikiki! I thought the first hour was really good. The second hour fell into the trap of the idea that a movie had to be big and expensive and I thought it got ruined by unnecessary (to the plot really) and over the top "special effects".

--It's interesting that in the ten ideas for Season 4 episodes above, #9 is actually the plot point that happens in the Gilligan's Island Musical that was done. I got to see it in San Diego. I really liked the musical. (Although the "alien" bit seemed to be similar to Sherwood's preoccupation with Russian spies in many of his shows.) The front row of the audience had their feet in actual sand. An amusing part of the show was that, whether it made sense or not, every single time the Howell's exited, when they reappeared again they were in different outfits. Every time. Some years later a production was done in Los Angeles, somewhere in the valley, I think, and Lee Meriwether played Mrs. Howell. I would've gone to see it, but I did not know about it until later on.

FWIW...

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
That website is likely inaccurate. For one, "Gilligan, The Goddess" was produced as the second episode of Season Three but held to air as its last, so it would be highly unusual for that script to contain a list of ideas for Season Four.

Second, I've searched and never found *any* evidence to support the idea that Tina Louise was planning to leave the show at the end of the third season. (Does anyone have proof of someone affiliated with the show saying this?) She tried to get out of her contract during the first year, yes, but she was mollified by CBS and stayed. I've attached some articles from 1967 that give the impression of Louise intending to stick around.

Third, if she was indeed leaving the show, wouldn't common sense suggest that she simply would have been replaced by another actress, not a new character (let alone two)? That would be more logical and likely.

Attachments

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Just listing the shows I didn't see mentioned ...

Better Off Ted (2 seasons)
Dead Like Me (2 seasons)
Freaks and Geeks (1 season)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (3 seasons)
Pushing Daisies (2 seasons)
Suburgatory (2 seasons) - And dammit, release season 2!
The Tick (2001) (1 season)
Wonderfalls (2 seasons)

The only one mentioned that I don't agree with is The Good Place. While I loved the show (one of the best endings ever), I thought it covered all the ground it needed to and ended at just the right time.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Battlestar Galactica--if, and I do mean if, that memo outlining the 2nd season was bogus, then the series still had so much life left in it. However, if that meme turned out to be true, then the show would have been finished in the middle of the 2nd season. Those changes were just awful.

Unfortunately the document is genuine. It was discovered by Larson's son. Here is the awful summary of what it entailed.

"Galactica: 1980" is easy to ignore. This stuff, particularly the loss of Sheba and what they do to Cain in his "Return" show would have permanently sullied everything that is still enjoyed about the series by its fans.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would have been fine with Better Off Ted running for ten years. Working in a corporate environment, it was incredibly funny and relevant. A good work friend and I used to endlessly discuss the ways in which it mirrored and in some cases predicted our working environment. Just a great show.

- Walter.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I would have liked to have seen more episodes of Police Squad, Crusade, Wizards and Warriors, Search, Dark Shadows (colour remake), Kolchak the Night stalker, The Invaders and the original Star Trek.
I don't know why I failed to mention NBC's Dark Shadows. That show got so many things right, and was doing at least okay ratings-wise, until the Gulf War struck, and NBC just didn't know what to do with it afterwards. Definitely deserved many more episodes!

Reactions: Doug Wallen

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Dead Like Me (2 seasons)
Wonderfalls (2 seasons)

The only one mentioned that I don't agree with is The Good Place. While I loved the show (one of the best endings ever), I thought it covered all the ground it needed too and ended at just the right time.
The Tick - absolutely! That one, as well as Amazon's recent version, deserved more seasons. In that 2001 attempt, Patrick Warburton was very good in the role and the supporting cast/characters were also quite good. I played the series for my grandson when he was ~14. He, too, wanted more and really enjoyed it.

I've not seen any of the others on your list so can't speak about them - although I do own a copy of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and Better off Ted, both blind buys based on reviews.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry

Dead Like Me (2 seasons)
Wonderfalls (2 seasons)

The only one mentioned that I don't agree with is The Good Place. While I loved the show (one of the best endings ever), I thought it covered all the ground it needed to and ended at just the right time.
I should've mentioned Wonderfalls. At least Dead Like Me and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries both got a sequel movie.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
I would have been fine with Better Off Ted running for ten years. Working in a corporate environment, it was incredibly funny and relevant. A good work friend and I used to endlessly discuss the ways in which it mirrored and in some cases predicted our working environment. Just a great show.
I had hoped that at some time during the long run of The Big Bang Theory that it would've been revealed that Bernadette went to work for Veridian Dynamics. It just seemed right that those two shows would be set in the same universe. Alas, it was not to be.

To this day, my wife and I point out "That's Lem!" or "That's Phil!" when we see the actors on another show.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
I've not seen any of the others on your list so can't speak about them - although I do own a copy of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and Better off Ted, both blind buys based on reviews.
Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, and Pushing Daisies were all the brain-children of Bryan Fuller, one of my Gods of Television. And they're all interconnected.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Another show that I don't think has been mentioned: NBC's Emerald City. Oz purists would probably recoil in horror, but my wife and I thought it was a fascinating re-imagining of Baum's concepts.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't know why I failed to mention NBC's Dark Shadows. That show got so many things right, and was doing at least okay ratings-wise, until the Gulf War struck, and NBC just didn't know what to do with it afterwards. Definitely deserved many more episodes!
Absolutely! I love the remake. It was fantastic and it did indeed get many, many things right. It was just getting warmed up and the plug got pulled. Sad.

Reactions: Doug Wallen

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena