What's new

Shows you think deserved one more season (1 Viewer)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Like most of you, I could always take another season of any show I enjoy watching. Many of them have already been mentioned.

The other one that comes to mind is Father Dowling. I loved the relationship between Father Dowling and Sister Steve. The show had a really steady pace, and Tom Bosley seemed like the kind of priest you'd want to have in your parish. And he just happened to dabble in mystery-solving in between writing sermons and preparing for the church fair. I could easily enjoy another 22 episodes of that series.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Unless there were changes in the production staff, the odds are Star Trek would have just gotten worse, with more episodes like "Spock's Brain" than not.

Yeah, I absolutely love STOS, but that third season was pitiful. If they could replicate the quality of season 1, then I'd take that in a heartbeat.

But no more Spock's Brain, Plato's Stepchildren, Lights of Zetar. :wacko:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
WKRP in Cincinnati - after a somewhat disappointing third season (deliberately getting out of the station as often as possible) the series rebounded in the fourth season with an explosive season opener and better episodes (including a revisit to the events of pilot episode) and some continuing storylines while CBS yanked it around the schedule and finally off for good.

Frank's Place - starring WKRP actor Tim Reid.

Ellery Queen

Mannix -
yes, it was on for eight seasons but it wasn't cancelled by the network, CBS, but by the studio, Paramount, who was anxious to get it into reruns, which didn't really happen in any big way. The actors, the network and the fans all wanted the series to continue. Ironically, today the network and the studio are the same company.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - the half-hour series should have continued without turning it into an hour series, but several factors, including financial considerations, were turning many half-hours into hours including Gunsmoke, Twilight Zone (though it switched back) and Robert Taylor's The Detectives.

Hooperman -
in its original form. ABC wanted it to continue but only if they turned it into a Barney Miller-type sitcom with an audience. Producer john Ritter said no and that was it.

Fawlty Towers - John Cleese could have come up with a third series of six episodes at least.

Many sci-fi type one-season series: FlashForward, The Event, Threshold, Invasion, Awake.

We need another thread here for series that shouldn't have been screwed with after the first season. A lot of examples there.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Time After Time (one season)
The Grinder (one season)
Life in Pieces (four seasons but totally would have taken more if it stayed funny)
Santa Clarita Diet (three seasons which ended with a cliffhanger, FU Netflix!)

An oldie from 90’s Nickelodeon, Space Cases was a Lost in Space rip off for kids, but I remember being SUPER bummed when it just never came back.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I absolutely love STOS, but that third season was pitiful. If they could replicate the quality of season 1, then I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Ahem. I'm a great fan of Spock's Brain. Really.

If we want to talk the worst of Star Trek: The Original Series, let's talk about "The Way to Eden," where the gallant crew of the Enterprise encounter Space Hippies from the sixties.
--jthree

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
How about some series that only lasted THREE to FOUR episodes like,
Judd Hirsch's Detective in the House
ABC's version of Foul Play
Young Maverick.

For right or wrong, I liked them.

--jthree

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I think the 3rd season of ST:TOS gets a bad rap. While it had its fair share of lesser episodes it also had some of the best of the series.
Ahem. I'm a great fan of Spock's Brain. Really.

If we want to talk the worst of Star Trek: The Original Series, let's talk about "The Way to Eden," where the gallant crew of the Enterprise encounter Space Hippies from the sixties.
--jthree
Same here - I, too, enjoy "Spock's Brain" and consider "The Way to Eden" to be one of the true stinkers of the entire series - along with "Miri" and "The Empath." But episode talk is really better to do in the Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
There are several season three episodes of Star Trek that I really liked, including “Spock’s Brain” and “The Empath”.

I’ll add to the list that “the hippy” episode was the worse. In fact, I feel like a lot of shows from the time had a “hippy” episode that just sucked. Lol!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't argue that it deserved a second season, because despite a strong cast it was a fairly marginal procedural, but Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior probably should have received at least a shortened second season to resolve what had to be one of the worst cliffhanger endings for a canceled series. I don't recall a lot about that series; other than the cast, and the final moment at the end of season one.

- Walter.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Many have already been mentioned, but a few that come to mind are:

In the way back department...Yancy Derringer (Desilu 1958 starring Jock Mahoney), one brilliant and delightful season that deserved at least another...a memorable comedic Mississippi river/New Orleans 'western' that is incredibly great entertainment, an equal in familiarity with the great James Garner/Jack Kelly Maverick...

Steve Canyon, (NBC, also 1958) starring Dean Fredericks as Milton Canniff's live action Comic strip jet-jockey in an often spectacular adventure series courtesy of lavish USAF co-operation, and featuring surprisingly adult and sophisticated story lines up until they upset the USAF with a truly shocking story that is the best single episode of the 34 produced...

More recently: Stargate Atlantis, even though it ran a very successful 5 seasons in syndication, ditched prematurely in favor of the broody and dark, drastically inferior Stargate Universe...incensing the dedicated fandom of Stargate Atlantis, which had a much superior cast, and with it's still compelling storylines and more entertaining concept overall, could have possibly gone on for another two or three years...IMHO, Stargate Universe was a very ugly misfire...so bad that it killed off the entire Stargate franchise, admittedly already long in the tooth after 8 seasons of Stargate SG-1...
Yes to Yancey and Steve!

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
I thought Lou Grant had run its course; I watched it regularly the first three seasons then I thought it got boring. Five years is a good run.
I just finished watching seasons four and five, S4 was as good as any other, S5 did have a few lesser episodes but no shortage of first rate ones like “Hometown” or “Drifters”. One more year could have been a wind down or a rejuvenation...changing political and cultural climates in the 80’s would be good fodder.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
WKRP in Cincinnati - after a somewhat disappointing third season (deliberately getting out of the station as often as possible) the series rebounded in the fourth season with an explosive season opener and better episodes (including a revisit to the events of pilot episode) and some continuing storylines while CBS yanked it around the schedule and finally off for good.

Frank's Place - starring WKRP actor Tim Reid.

Ellery Queen

Mannix -
yes, it was on for eight seasons but it wasn't cancelled by the network, CBS, but by the studio, Paramount, who was anxious to get it into reruns, which didn't really happen in any big way. The actors, the network and the fans all wanted the series to continue. Ironically, today the network and the studio are the same company.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - the half-hour series should have continued without turning it into an hour series, but several factors, including financial considerations, were turning many half-hours into hours including Gunsmoke, Twilight Zone (though it switched back) and Robert Taylor's The Detectives.

Hooperman -
in its original form. ABC wanted it to continue but only if they turned it into a Barney Miller-type sitcom with an audience. Producer john Ritter said no and that was it.

Fawlty Towers - John Cleese could have come up with a third series of six episodes at least.

Many sci-fi type one-season series: FlashForward, The Event, Threshold, Invasion, Awake.

We need another thread here for series that shouldn't have been screwed with after the first season. A lot of examples there.
Mannix could have stood to have as long a run as Hawaii Five 0.

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
As regards British programmes I would have loved at least another season of Adam Adamant Lives! Doomwatch, Counterstrike, Blake's 7, and Sapphire and Steel,
As regards American shows Lost in Space could have done with another season as long as Guy Williams and June Lockhart were in it. Another season of The Time Tunnel would have been great as I enjoyed reading all the potential storylines that were proposed. Another season of Land of the Giants would have been great.
I would have liked to have seen more episodes of Police Squad, Crusade, Wizards and Warriors, Search, Dark Shadows (colour remake), Kolchak the Night stalker, The Invaders and the original Star Trek.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
As regards British programmes I would have loved at least another season of Adam Adamant Lives! Doomwatch, Counterstrike, Blake's 7, and Sapphire and Steel,
As regards American shows Lost in Space could have done with another season as long as Guy Williams and June Lockhart were in it. Another season of The Time Tunnel would have been great as I enjoyed reading all the potential storylines that were proposed. Another season of Land of the Giants would have been great.
I would have liked to have seen more episodes of Police Squad, Crusade, Wizards and Warriors, Search, Dark Shadows (colour remake), Kolchak the Night stalker, The Invaders and the original Star Trek.

Oh yes! How could I have forgotten Crusade?

Rick

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
Talking of Crusade - I know that there are problems with releasing Babylon 5 on Blu-ray. Would it be the same for Crusade? Thanks.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
With Crusade being troubled during its first-run, I have to wonder if additional seasons would have made any difference.

I wasn't aware of that. What kind of troubles?

Not knowing of any problems, I would've loved to see it run five years.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks