What's new

Shows you think deserved one more season (1 Viewer)

jimmyd05

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Dickinson
Where to start but off the top:
FlashForward - Show was showing promise at the end of its first season
The Addams Family
My World and Welcome To It
Golden Years - A great Stephen King TV show that ended too soon.
American Gothic
Invasion
Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
Jericho - Given a 2nd life with a 2nd season but cut the budget and # of episodes. Ruined a great start

jimmyd05

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Dickinson
Star Trek (because I could watch 85 seasons of that easily)
The Green Hornet
The Time Tunnel
The Incredible Hulk (with a finale episode)
Alphas
The Fugitive (2000)
Human Target
Nowhere Man
Starman
Buck Rogers
Battlestar Galactica (classic - in its original format not 1980)
Jonny Quest
Completely forgot about Human Target and Alphas, although we wouldn't have this running gag in Big Bang Theory:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Forgot about Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. Had a tremendous first season cliffhanger that needed a follow up.
Someone else mentioned the CBS 2000 version of the Fugitive. You know, the Tim Daly one. I liked She Spies and what was the one with Brisco County Jr . . . Jack of All Trades. Those would be infinitely preferable to what's on right now.

==jthree

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I certainly agree with many of the choices in this thread, although I will point out that shows being canceled does open up slots for new shows, some of which become favorites in their own right. Having said that, I would have loved to see another season of The Outer Limits (1960s) as two seasons just wasn't nearly enough.

- Walter.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
The Fugitive season 5 undergoes a name change to Doctor Kimble. A medical drama dealing with his adjustment to life as a free man, and the peripheral stories of his patients, including a cameo by Roy Thinnes as a man Kimble treats for injuries received in a roadside scuffle with men he tries to convince Kimble are beings from another planet. While Kimble remains skeptical, his neighbor and erstwhile nemesis Girard is less certain and becomes an occasional cast member of the third season of the Invaders.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Fugitive season 5 undergoes a name change to Doctor Kimble. A medical drama dealing with his adjustment to life as a free man, and the peripheral stories of his patients, including a cameo by Roy Thinnes as a man Kimble treats for injuries received in a roadside scuffle with men he tries to convince Kimble are beings from another planet. While Kimble remains skeptical, his neighbor and erstwhile nemesis Girard is less certain and becomes an occasional cast member of the third season of the Invaders.

Very ripe for crossover possibilities there!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
...and what was the one with Brisco County Jr . . . Jack of All Trades. Those would be infinitely preferable to what's on right now.

==jthree
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - (Fox casualty) absolutely would have liked another season or three from this one. Jack of All Trades, too. Fun stuff that ended too soon.

After rewatching it a few times I think I could also go for a few more for Cleopatra 2525 (it aired in syndication as a companion show to Jack...).

Thinking of those also caused me to remember Roar, (yep... Fox again) a series with Heath Ledger that could have stood a few more seasons.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Many have already been mentioned, but a few that come to mind are:

In the way back department...Yancy Derringer (Desilu 1958 starring Jock Mahoney), one brilliant and delightful season that deserved at least another...a memorable comedic Mississippi river/New Orleans 'western' that is incredibly great entertainment, an equal in familiarity with the great James Garner/Jack Kelly Maverick...

Steve Canyon, (NBC, also 1958) starring Dean Fredericks as Milton Canniff's live action Comic strip jet-jockey in an often spectacular adventure series courtesy of lavish USAF co-operation, and featuring surprisingly adult and sophisticated story lines up until they upset the USAF with a truly shocking story that is the best single episode of the 34 produced...

More recently: Stargate Atlantis, even though it ran a very successful 5 seasons in syndication, ditched prematurely in favor of the broody and dark, drastically inferior Stargate Universe...incensing the dedicated fandom of Stargate Atlantis, which had a much superior cast, and with it's still compelling storylines and more entertaining concept overall, could have possibly gone on for another two or three years...IMHO, Stargate Universe was a very ugly misfire...so bad that it killed off the entire Stargate franchise, admittedly already long in the tooth after 8 seasons of Stargate SG-1...

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
More recently: Stargate Atlantis, even though it ran a very successful 5 seasons in syndication, ditched prematurely in favor of the broody and dark, drastically inferior Stargate Universe...incensing the dedicated fandom of Stargate Atlantis, which had a much superior cast, and with it's still compelling storylines and more entertaining concept overall, could have possibly gone on for another two or three years...IMHO, Stargate Universe was a very ugly misfire...so bad that it killed off the entire Stargate franchise, admittedly already long in the tooth after 8 seasons of Stargate SG-1...

You're absolutely right about Stargate Universe. What was going through their minds? That camera work on SU just gave me a headache. Somehow the producers of Universe just decided to tackle every negative trope that had been on previous science fiction programs. Dr. Smith like character (check), characters lost in space (check), flawed, very flawed characters (check), annoying young man (check), no exciting theme song (check), new type camera that's the "in-thing" at networks (check). They bit off more than they could chew.

--jthree

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Am I going crazy, or didn't Susan Harris write a book a few years ago that outlined the unfilmed storylines?

Are you talking about this one? I had no idea this existed. Maybe she gave the author the outline for the final season and he wrote about it? Gonna have to grab a copy.

20299602.jpg

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
One-season wonders that deserved extra seasons:

T.H.E. Cat (I'd give it three full seasons, 1966-69, ending just as new anti-violence standards swept through network TV)

Way Out (three seasons, 1961-64)

Jonny Quest (four seasons, 1964-68)

Yancy Derringer (three-to-five seasons; extremely fun, engaging show... there's a rich roster of recurring characters already in its lone season)

Coronet Blue (three or four seasons, lining up with similar "journey" series like Route 66 and The Fugitive... but with more much-needed action/suspense episodes mixed in, as series creator Larry Cohen intended, to keep it humming)

The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (an extra season, 1968-70, to see how weird Hanna-Barbera could go with it, and with a final episode where Huck, Tom and Becky finally find their way back home... or wake up from their collective nightmare, whichever works)

UFO (two more 26-episode seasons, 1970-73)

The Immortal (three seasons, and upping the sci-fi element at times, 1971-73)

Longstreet (three seasons, 1971-74)

Terriers (5 seasons, 2010-15; great show, strangled in the crib)

Also:

The Outer Limits (a full season 2, and a Season 3, 1963-66, in black & white all the way through)

The Addams Family (two more seasons, 1964-68, though I'm not sure if I'd like seeing the show in bright color (beyond curiosity), which it definitely would be by the 1966-67 season)

The Avengers [Emma Peel Era] (just pay the lady what she richly deserved, producers, so that Diana Rigg could stay for a third season in color, 1967-68, then give the 1968-69 remainder of the series to Linda Thorson)
30518.jpg

R.I.P, Dame Diana Rigg (1938-2020), always needed.

The Invaders (three full seasons, 1967-70)

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (I like the idea of Universal having this as a 90-minute part of their NBC Mystery Movie wheel, along with Columbo, McCloud and McMillan & Wife, and running for four 6-episode seasons, 1974-78)

WKRP in Cincinnati (six seasons, easily, maybe even eight, like Barney Miller, if it didn't go into creative decline)

Dead Like Me (abruptly cancelled, despite an avid fan base, in favor of Showtime's one-season-and-done series Huff, but deserved two or three further seasons, and appropriate closure for Mandy Patinkin's character, 'Rube', rather than a so-so follow-up TV-movie with half of the cast missing/replaced)

Deadwood (four full seasons, with a satisfying wrap-up at the end, 2004-2008)

Pushing Daisies (crippled in Season 2 by the 2007 Writer's Guild strike; deserved a full Season 2 and two more full seasons, 2007-2011)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I went through my collection looking for others I feel could have benefited from another season or two:

Birds of Prey
Bob
Eerie Indiana
Greatest American Hero
Zorro
(Disney)
Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (heck, I'd be happy to get S1-S3 complete and uncut on DVD - those 2 Best Of releases are teasers)

While it's a bit premature - it *is* a "cult" Fox show that, again, has been woefully mishandled by corporate and likely won't return after 1 more - if that one even shows up:

The Orville

There are several I almost included but truly feel they're almost perfect with what was produced and may have gone downhill with more:

The Addams Family
The Munsters
The Rat Patrol
The Monkees
F-Troop

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Many have already been mentioned, but a few that come to mind are:

In the way back department...Yancy Derringer (Desilu 1958 starring Jock Mahoney), one brilliant and delightful season that deserved at least another...a memorable comedic Mississippi river/New Orleans 'western' that is incredibly great entertainment, an equal in familiarity with the great James Garner/Jack Kelly Maverick...

Steve Canyon, (NBC, also 1958) starring Dean Fredericks as Milton Canniff's live action Comic strip jet-jockey in an often spectacular adventure series courtesy of lavish USAF co-operation, and featuring surprisingly adult and sophisticated story lines up until they upset the USAF with a truly shocking story that is the best single episode of the 34 produced...

Actually, Stargate: SG-1 lasted 10 seasons, but I'd still like to have seen more, if the show's talent had been willing. And you're spot-on regards Yancy Derringer and Steve Canyon.

However, I can understand how actors, writers, directors, and producers can reach a point where they want to move on to different things. Sometimes they feel strangled by by all the canon created by a long-running franchise. Say, for instance, a fan get a job writing for his favorite series, Star Trek: The Next Generation. Then he moves on to newer shows in the franchise and after several years, gets tired of writing Star Trek stories, feeling constrained by canon from doing something really different. So he leaves and re-imagines another long-gone show, maybe Battlestar: Galactica, and turns it into a very different hit than his previous work.

Then what happens when writers, directors, and producers of another long-running franchise, like Stargate, see this and want to try it? Only this isn't just one writer, director, or producer, but many? They re-imagine Stargate the way Battlestar was re-imagined, but still a have a current Stargate show. So they cancel it and switch to the new show and style, and the fans get Stargate: Universe, a very different type of show.

Unfortunately for the writers, directors, and producers, it was a show too different from what the fanbase wanted. Sure, some Stargate fans were also Battlestar fans, but not all, and apparently not most. Plus some fans may not have wanted to give up their Stargate for some more Battlestar. So when Stargate: Universe failed, we have wind up with the writers, directors, and producers blaming it all on the fanbase for not preferring the Battlestar-like Stargate: Universe.

<sarcasm> Yeah, it's the fans' fault for not liking something very different from their expressed interest, especially when it kills off their preferred show. <sarcasm/off>

Maybe by now they finally get it.

Rick

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Forgot about UPN's Baby Blues. It was one season, but I liked it. It was based on the comic strip. Really hope it comes out on DVD or
Blu Ray, someday.

Really, if you fellow video philes can find it, it's pretty fun.

--james

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Shows that ended too early, that had at least one more good year left in them, or that never got a chance to resolve their storylines.

The Invaders
Lou Grant
Coronet Blue
Seinfeld - the final season had some of the best episodes of the entire series.
Dragnet - would have been great to see how Joe Friday navigated a few more years of the 70’s
Man In A Suitcase
The Loner
I thought Lou Grant had run its course; I watched it regularly the first three seasons then I thought it got boring. Five years is a good run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks