What's new

Shows you think deserved one more season (1 Viewer)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
A third Sledgehammer Season would of been nice.

"Trust Me, I know What I'm Doing!"

Sledgehammer-dvd.jpg

Sledgehammer S2.jpg

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And by '82, WH!! would have very likely been a TOY II/CPT production (like that short-lived 1981-82 NBC comedy One of the Boys was).

Possibly. They were all over the place with Aaron Spelling, co-producing some of his shows but only syndicating others, but with Witt-Thomas-Harris, they stayed out of the production of Soap* and Benson. But unlike Bud Yorkin, Columbia never bought those other producers' companies out outright. Whether they would have taken over production of this show depends on whether the sale of TOY Productions still went through. Its still being on the air by that time might have changed things.

Carter Country, their other major production, was also doomed by naming it after the then-current President. Coincidentally (I hope), the town it was set in was called Clinton Corners. They also had a show called 13 Queens Boulevard which was on pretty late for a sitcom: 10:30 PM. The casting was good, the ratings weren't terrible, but ABC wanted them all gone and that one never even got the benefit of a second season that might have helped it get some syndication later. Carter Country aired on some Southern and Midwestern TV stations in the 1980s but seldom since then.

*I wonder how many of the ABC affiliates that refused to carry it still showed Three's Company.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Possibly. They were all over the place with Aaron Spelling, co-producing some of his shows but only syndicating others

The former being T.J. Hooker and Hart to Hart (Hart having Rona II in as well [for "Robert and Natalie, Second Time Around," IIRC]); the latter being Charlie's Angels and Starsky and Hutch (all four of those, BTW, being Spelling-Goldberg shows, and all four originally on ABC).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Good Choice. Why is it that these type of shows don't last very long?
--jthree
Usually, it's the ratings. In this case, the 2nd season lower ratings were caused by the network moving the show's time slot around.

To quote the S2 insert, "The recipient of widespread critical acclaim, as well as a fiercely loyal fan base, "Sledge Hammer!" was mercilessly bounced around the ABC schedule in a variety of undesirable timeslots.

Unfortunately, as fall approached, "Sledge Hammer!" was shifted into what was then conceivably the worst timeslot in prime time ... directly against NBC's gargantuan hit of the decade "The Cosby Show"."

Oh well. :(

Anyway, the "Sledge Hammer!" S1 & S2 set that I bought back in 2006 was what I viewed as a collector's set. Each set included a manila, coffee stained folder, "Confidential Report From Internal Affairs - Sledge Hammer". Inside the folder was an 8 page document chock full of information with nice tid-bits of trivia boxes thrown-in, as shown in the attached pictures below.

Season 1:
Sledge Hammer S1-01.jpg

Sledge Hammer S1-02.jpg

Sledge Hammer S1-03.jpg

Sledge Hammer S1-04 (1).jpg

Season 2:
Sledge Hammer S2-01.jpg

Sledge Hammer S2-02.jpg

Sledge Hammer S2-03.jpg
Sledge Hammer S2-04.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
What's Happening!!

Carter Country, their other major production, was also doomed by naming it after the then-current President.

I saw a taping of both these series. Mabel King was not in the WH episode I saw because of something to do with her filming The Wiz, I recall.

The Carter Country taping was a Thanksgiving episode.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
To quote the S2 insert, "The recipient of widespread critical acclaim, as well as a fiercely loyal fan base, "Sledge Hammer!" was mercilessly bounced around the ABC schedule in a variety of undesirable timeslots.

Unfortunately, as fall approached, "Sledge Hammer!" was shifted into what was then conceivably the worst timeslot in prime time ... directly against NBC's gargantuan hit of the decade "The Cosby Show"."

Who's got the last laugh now?

danielanderson4500

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
daniel
That was the last year Brandon Tartikoff programmed NBC, and it seemed like he was in a mood for fantasy; that season had a Stephen J. Cannell/Disney collaboration called The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage that never made it past its first season. 60 Minutes Syndrome struck again; that was the main competition. But The Disney Channel did not continue the format. The ratings didn't justify the costs, unfortunately.

Not just that, but if CBS switched to another NFC game during football season, that would hurt too. First Camera never had a chance against 60 Minutes or NFL overruns.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The list of Sunday at 7:00 PM casualties is long and sad and spans over four decades by now, covering practically every genre of scripted TV and even other newsmagazines. It's telling if NBC settled on essentially the same thing with Dateline NBC.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Usually, it's the ratings. In this case, the 2nd season lower ratings were caused by the network moving the show's time slot around.

Oh well. :(

Anyway, the "Sledge Hammer!" S1 & S2 set that I bought back in 2006 was what I viewed as a collector's set. Each set included a manila, coffee stained folder, "Confidential Report From Internal Affairs - Sledge Hammer". Inside the folder was an 8 page document chock full of information with nice tid-bits of trivia boxes thrown-in, as shown in the attached pictures below.

Season 1:
View attachment 79921
View attachment 79922
View attachment 79923
View attachment 79924

Season 2:
View attachment 79925
View attachment 79926
View attachment 79927 View attachment 79928

This first Anchor Bay version looks a lot nicer than the one I purchased.

My copy was the re-released 2011 version, which came in generic multdisc viva dvd case without any of the special features/packaging.

danielanderson4500

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
daniel
That was the last year Brandon Tartikoff programmed NBC, and it seemed like he was in a mood for fantasy; that season had a Stephen J. Cannell/Disney collaboration called The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage that never made it past its first season. 60 Minutes Syndrome struck again; that was the main competition. But The Disney Channel did not continue the format. The ratings didn't justify the costs, unfortunately.

I can think of only one show that survived 60 Minutes Syndrome- and that was Life Goes On, starring Broadway actress Patti Lupone and a then young Kellie Martin(before her ER stint). And Life Goes On lasted longer than anyone else opposite 60 Minutes!

danielanderson4500

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
daniel
Fox's NFL overruns might be the closest completion that 60 Minutes gets these days. When NBC had Sunday afternoon rights, I'd wonder how those games did opposite 60 Minutes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite 80's-martyred series was doomed to die, the moment ABC placed it in the 'cannon fodder" slot opposite the '87 season of NBC's Cosby Show--
ABC's Our World was a prime-time news-spinoff History Channel series trying to cash in on post-Big-Chill nostalgia, and would have been years ahead of its time if it'd lasted more than half a season against the Huxtable Juggernaut:

This is a series one-season-curiosity disk sets were made for.

(And yeah, near the end, they were starting to go to the "'39 prewar isolationism" well a little too often, to hint at the Reagan era, but nothing a new show runner, and slapping down Murphy Ellerbee's ego, couldn't fix.)

Great show. Glad I recorded them all.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Neil, what is your opinion on the Governor and JJ? I've been very curious about it and remember it vaguely. Was it a comedy or drama? Wish more late sixties and early seventies one year series would come out. You also remember Lucas Tanner, would like to see more of that.

--james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks