Shows you think deserved one more season

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Forgot to add an obvious one. "Ellery Queen." Should have kept running right up to Jim Hutton's untimely passing.
Great choice. I loved the interplay between David Wayne and Jim Hutton in that series. And John Hillerman as the pretentious Simon Brimmer was a great foil for Ellery. Definitely deserved several more seasons.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Just watched a season 8 episode of Mannix. We could have definitely used at least one more season of Joe Mannix getting his head klonked while wearing those wild plaid sportcoats. :cool:
Mannix was cancelled over possibly the stupidest reason in the history of tv. They were all set to start season 9, but ABC suddenly started airing reruns of Mannix in late night and CBS got pissed and cancelled the new episodes.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Mannix was cancelled over possibly the stupidest reason in the history of tv. They were all set to start season 9, but ABC suddenly started airing reruns of Mannix in late night and CBS got pissed and cancelled the new episodes.
That's pretty pathetic, I'd never heard it that before, and a bummer that we missed out on Mannix season 9.

It reminds of another show that I think deserved many more seasons, the Equalizer with Edward Woodward. Absolutely loved his portrayal of Robert McCall. I thought I read somewhere that CBS had already renewed it for a 5th season. Then they cancelled to get back at Universal for charging them so much to renew Murder She Wrote.

But that Mannix story also gets my vote for stupidest reason. :oops:

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Yeah - I read that about Mannix too. And it’s not like ABC was stripping it - they just ran it once a week in late night. Silly. You’d think that Paramount would have been able to sell new episodes to ABC, too.

I liked Ellery Queen a lot. Jim Hutton and David Wayne were terrific, and I’ve always been a sucker for a period piece.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Yeah - I read that about Mannix too. And it’s not like ABC was stripping it - they just ran it once a week in late night. Silly. You’d think that Paramount would have been able to sell new episodes to ABC, too.

I liked Ellery Queen a lot. Jim Hutton and David Wayne were terrific, and I’ve always been a sucker for a period piece.
Yes, they could have somehow worked out a deal with ABC for the 9th season... but the ratings for the 8th season faltered.

~Ben

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Here is a fun little exercise. Suppose the shows already mentioned had gone one more season. What shows made after might never have been the same because the creative staff was tied up on the old show? If Mannix had gone into a 9th year, would we have had the same Charlies Angels go to series? The producing/writing team of Mannix, Roberts and Goff, would likely not have been available to develop that series or Logan's Run. And would a successful Logan's Run preclude producer Leonard Katzman from Dallas in 1978?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Here is a fun little exercise. Suppose the shows already mentioned had gone one more season. What shows made after might never have been the same because the creative staff was tied up on the old show? If Mannix had gone into a 9th year, would we have had the same Charlies Angels go to series? The producing/writing team of Mannix, Roberts and Goff, would likely not have been available to develop that series or Logan's Run. And would a successful Logan's Run preclude producer Leonard Katzman from Dallas in 1978?
The mind boggles over stuff like this.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Yes, they could have somehow worked out a deal with ABC for the 9th season... but the ratings for the 8th season faltered.

~Ben
Wikipedia says the show was still in the top 20 during its final year. Maybe that represented a big drop from the previous year. And the thinking is that old shows are more difficult to transplant.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's pretty pathetic, I'd never heard it that before, and a bummer that we missed out on Mannix season 9.

It reminds of another show that I think deserved many more seasons, the Equalizer with Edward Woodward. Absolutely loved his portrayal of Robert McCall. I thought I read somewhere that CBS had already renewed it for a 5th season. Then they cancelled to get back at Universal for charging them so much to renew Murder She Wrote.

But that Mannix story also gets my vote for stupidest reason. :oops:
That reminds me of yet another show I'm surprised wasn't a hit: Crazy Like A Fox. That seemed like it would be the perfect show to follow Murder, She Wrote, but it only got two seasons. They moved it to another night for a movie of the week after all the remaining 1970s sitcom holdovers had cleared out and Trapper John M.D. came to a conclusion. They tried a reunion film with the hopes they could get syndication or cable interested in more seasons, but no one bit.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
That reminds me of yet another show I'm surprised wasn't a hit: Crazy Like A Fox. That seemed like it would be the perfect show to follow Murder, She Wrote, but it only got two seasons. They moved it to another night for a movie of the week after all the remaining 1970s sitcom holdovers had cleared out and Trapper John M.D. came to a conclusion. They tried a reunion film with the hopes they could get syndication or cable interested in more seasons, but no one bit.
My one 80s Grail title not on DVD (along with a Region 1 release of "The Law And Harry McGraw" which I also wish had lasted longer). It was a comfortable Sunday night view for me and then when they moved it opposite "Dynasty" I knew it was the kiss of death for it. The reunion film was prompted in part by fan complaint I think that CBS had killed the show by moving it to that timeslot but it unfortunately didn't get the series restarted.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
My one 80s Grail title not on DVD (along with a Region 1 release of "The Law And Harry McGraw" which I also wish had lasted longer). It was a comfortable Sunday night view for me and then when they moved it opposite "Dynasty" I knew it was the kiss of death for it. The reunion film was prompted in part by fan complaint I think that CBS had killed the show by moving it to that timeslot but it unfortunately didn't get the series restarted.

"Comfortable" is the perfect word for Crazy Like a Fox and The Law and Harry McGraw. It is a very pleasant experience to hang with the characters from those two shows for 48 minutes. Both shows produce a quiet smile and are the perfect way to end an evening. I could easily take an extra season of both those programs, and a R1 release would be very welcome. If CBS hadn't swapped timeslots, Crazy Like a Fox could have run in tandem with Murder She Wrote for many seasons.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I remember the situation with Crazy Like a Fox. It was a well-done show and a perfect lead-out for Murder, She Wrote. But ABC and NBC were counterprogramming with TV-movies (at the height of the popularity of the network made-for-TV movie). NBC and ABC were often beating Crazy on CBS with these high profile event movies,. So CBS decided that if they couldn’t beat em, they’d join em, and put TV movies in that slot instead.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Both shows produce a quiet smile and are the perfect way to end an evening. I could easily take an extra season of both those programs, and a R1 release would be very welcome.
If Mill Creek made a R1 all-in-one of Crazy Like A Fox, two things--

1. Do you think it would have the CPT 80s Coke Lady thereto (or, in lieu of that, the bylineless one that was on Shout!'s releases of T.J. Hooker and Hart to Hart)?

2. How many discs would be needed for the 35 episodes of that CBS comedic detective/action/adventure series?

Reactions: Darby67

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If Mill Creek made a R1 all-in-one of Crazy Like A Fox, two things--

1. Do you think it would have the CPT 80s Coke Lady thereto (or, in lieu of that, the bylineless one that was on Shout!'s releases of T.J. Hooker and Hart to Hart)?

2. How many discs would be needed for the 35 episodes of that CBS comedic detective/action/adventure series?
1. Yes.

2. Assuming these are all half-hours, I would say five discs with seven episodes each.

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
You mean hours? Crazy Like A Fox was an hour series.

And what about the CPT logo?
As to the CPT logo, I hope it will be the original 1982-88 version with the Coke byline intact.

Breakdown of Season 1 (1984-85), disc by disc (13 1-hours)

DISC 1:
Pilot (12/30/84)
Turn of the Century Fox (1/6/85)
Premium for Murder (1/13/85)
... Till Death Do Us Part (1/20/85)

DISC 2:
Motor Homicide (2/3/85)
Wanted Dead and Alive (2/17/85)
Bum Tip (2/24/85)

DISC 3:
Fox Hunt (3/3/85)
The Geronimo Machine (3/10/85)
Fox in Wonderland (3/17/85)

DISC 4:
Fox and Hounds (3/24/85)
Suitable for Framing (3/31/85)
The Man Who Cried Fox (4/7/85)

TOTAL DISCS FOR SEASON 1: 4

Season 2 (1985-86) (22 1-hours)

DISC 1:
Eye in the Sky (10/6/85)
Sunday in the Park with Harry (10/13/85)
Requiem for a Fox (10/20/85)
Murder Is a Two-Strike Penalty (10/27/85)

DISC 2:
Fox in 3/4 Time (11/3/85)
Desert Fox (11/10/85)
Some Day My Prints Will Come (11/17/85)
If the Shoe Fits (11/24/85)

DISC 3:
Is There a Fox in the House? (12/22/85)
Year of the Fox (12/29/85)
Fox and the Wolf (1/5/86)
Hearing is Believing (1/15/86)

DISC 4:
Hyde-and-Seek (1/22/86)
The Road to Tobago (1/29/86)
You Can't Keep a Good Corpse Down (2/5/86)
The Fox Who Saw Too Much (2/12/86)

DISC 5:
Just Another Fox in the Crowd (2/26/86)
Fox on the Range (3/5/86)
The Duke is Dead (4/5/86)

DISC 6:
Rosie (4/12/86)
Dead on Arrival (4/19/86)
A Fox at the Races (5/3/86)

TOTAL DISCS FOR SEASON 2: 6

GRAND TOTAL DISCS: 10

~Ben

• Agreed
Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What's Happening!! got a reprieve in the 1980s, but what if they had run to, say, 1982 on ABC? That would have ended it with Raj graduating from college and before he met or married Nadine. And what would have become of Rob, the owner of Rob's Place? His fate was left up in the air even though Earl Billings, the actor who played him, was still alive at the time.
And by '82, WH!! would have very likely been a TOY II/CPT production (like that short-lived 1981-82 NBC comedy One of the Boys was).

Reactions: Darby67

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13