Shows with first season unsyndicated?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, May 20, 2004.

1. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Just curious now that Paramount seems to be moving on their product, if they put out Mannix, would they do the first(best) season, which has never been syndicated? Likewise, Petticoat Junction. The first 2 black and white seasons were the best but they too never were syndicated. How would that work? And, while it was syndicated, would Mission Impossible start with the Dan Briggs (Steven Hill) year or go right to Jim Phelps?

2. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I was actually thinking about this a few weeks back, but never got around to making mention of it. My example however is 'Mama's Family', which first aired on NBC I believe, then eventually went to syndication with a partially different cast. If it were to be released, would they start with the seasons featuring Rue Mclanahan & Betty White, or would they just release the syndicated eps with Beverly Archer & Alan Kayser? Of course, it's only wishful thinking, since I don't see it being released anytime soon. But still, it'd be good to know.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

In the unlikely event that full seasons of PETTICOAT JUNCTION were to be released, it would be great if they'd start at the beginning with the black and white shows since as stated above, they've never been part of the syndication package.

A few of them (including the pilot) have been released on VHS by Columbia House and in some PD DVD collections but there are so many I've never had the chance to see. I've probably only seen about 15 of the shows from the first 2 seasons. From what I've seen, they were better than what came later.

Personally, I'd rather see the rest of GREEN ACRES first, but I would have interest in the Bea Benadaret years of PC also. After she died, the show should have ended as the later ones are just lame.

4. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Then there's the crossover between Petticoat Junction and Beverly Hillbillies - weren't Granny and Kate related or something?

I loved Petticoat Junction as a kid. Hooterville or no Hooterville (I didn't get that joke until just recently), it was just plain fun to watch.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Mark, great question. I had never heard about Mannix's first season not being syndicated. Do you know what it never was? Hopefully the episodes still exist in decent shape.

If "I Dream of Jeannie" does get a release as rumored, it'll be interesting to see if they do start with the first B&W season. If memory serves, it's only been recently that it was shown with any regularity (on the old Nick at Nite).

The same thing with My Three Sons. When the B&W episodes showed up on Nick at Nite for the first time in the '80s(the only network they were ever syndicated as far as I know), I fell in love with them. As much as I loved the color epsisodes, it was obvious the first 5 seasons were much better.

Steve

6. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

The first 5 seasons were much better. CBN ran them after they were dropped by Nick although the Nick episodes were complete and CBN cut them by about 4 minutes. I have them all from Nick so I don't really care if they come out or not. I'm much more concerned with shows I never had a chance to record uncut.

7. Steve Phillips

The first (B/W) season of JEANNIE has been colorized and those versions have aired all over the world, and Hallmark Channel ran them several times as well as recently as 2002.

I'd hope the DVD releases would begin with the first season, but they should offer the original B/W for sure. I wouldn't mind if the colorized prints were included also.

As a kid, my local station never ran the first season. I never saw those until WTBS ran them.

8. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

The colorized versions of the first year of "Jeannie" and the first two years of "Bewitched" are the best examples of colorization I've ever seen- a vast improvement over what Ted Turner did 15 years ago. Apparently today's technology can make B/W film look this close to Technicolor! Whoever did the colorization at Sony really did their homework in regard to color schemes, backgrounds, etc.,right to the most minute detail! Hopefully these episodes will be on Hallmark again soon or released on DVD. If some studios release both fullscreen and widescreen versions of the same movie on one disc, then why can't DVDs of B/W TV shows come out with a B/W or color choice on the disc?

9. Steve Phillips

They just might on these. Sony released BEWITCHED DVD sets of Seasons 1 and 2 in colorized versions only in Japan though.

In the US, they should offer both in the same package.

It's true, the color on these is quite good. Many viewers would be fooled into thinking they were shot in color.

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Economics. It's no big deal to store an alternate version of a 2 hour movie on a single disc. However when you're talking about a 30+ episode season you're getting into additional discs, increased authoring costs, etc. Studios are already moving toward double sided discs to keep costs down. The TV on DVD market is getting quite saturated and an increased MSRP for a set to accomodate a dual presentation could very well kill it at retail.

I must respectfully disagree with those who want the colorized versions of these shows. Releasing DVDs in their original "color orientation" is just as important as maintaining OAR.

Steve

11. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I prefer black and white shows to color. I think it makes it easier to pay attention to the story. The color is too distracting. Good writing started going away around the time color came in.

12. Deb Walsh

Black and white shows of that era were so visually rich, it's a shame to colorize them. But over the past 40 or so years, as a culture we've lost the black and white visual language. I'd prefer to see these as originally shown, too.

13. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    When I was a kid, Get Smart's BW pilot and the entire fifth season were never shown in syndication in Winnipeg. To this day I've never seen these episodes.

I've seen Mission: Impossible in reruns and yes, the first season with Steven Hill was shown.

Concerning BW vs. colour TV shows: growing up, I was mesmerized by The Fugitive reruns on A and E, but whenthe fourth season was shown (the last season and the only one to be shot in colour), I missed the gorgeous BW photography. I used to turn the colour off when watching these episodes. [​IMG]

With DVD releases, fans deserve to see episodes they way they were shot, be it colour or otherwise. It seems that local network affiliates and cable stations are allergic to BW shows nowadays, so having them on DVD in their original condition is very important. Could you imagine The Twilight Zone DVDs colourized? (shudder)

14. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

IRRC it was simply named "Mama" in that incarnation. Do you recall?

15. Deb Walsh

I used to have a black and white TV set that I rarely used except to watch black and white Doctor Who serials. B&W doesn't render as cleanly on a color set as it does on a black and white set, oddly enough. I've long since gotten rid of the set, but I do remember that the episodes looked crisper displayed on a B&W monitor vs. a color one.

I remember as a kid watching Mission: Impossible first run, but I must have missed the first season (past my bedtime, maybe?), because I didn't know Stephen Hill had been in the show until I saw it years later in syndication.

16. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

The reason why Mr. Hill left after the first year as "Briggs" was on religious grounds: as an Orthodox Jew he refused to work on the Sabbath, but Desilu said "no" to his demand for a changed work schedule. Strange, Major League Baseball let Sandy Koufax not play on Yom Kippur a year earlier, why couldn't Lucy let Steven Hill off to practice his faith once a week? Tsk, tsk, tsk......

Well, at least Dick Wolf (producer of "Law & Order") was far more flexible, and Mr. Hill was a fixture on that show as D.A. Adam Schiff for years.

17. Deb Walsh

The world was a different place then. A lot of laws have been passed in the meantime to protect people's rights to observe their faiths, be open about their lifestyles, have physical access to places, and to use things we've come to not only accept but expect - like close-captioning and subtitles. Hill was a courageous man.

Have any series been released yet on DVD where they went through a title change going from first-run to syndication package?

18. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

"Happy Days" has been announced. In syndication it was called "Happy Days Again"...at least while there were still new first-run shows being aired.

19. Steve Phillips

MAMA'S FAMILY was the title in both the original NBC and syndicated versions. The only differences were some supporting cast changes.