What's new

Shows that speak for themselves on DVD w/few or no bonuses... (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What/which series on DVD, in your opinion, is/are so well done that it speaks for itself/they speak for themselves in its/their DVD release(s), even w/few or no bonuses?

One for me, as I've stated, is The Streets of San Francisco. The only bonuses on that one were on the first-season, first-volume release (the Pilot Presentation with clips from that extended pilot, and the short interview that Karl and Michael had w/Daily Variety writer Army Archerd); subsequent releases (the rest of the series, for that matter) had none at all.

No matter-- as I've said before, Karl Malden was magnificent as Lt. Mike Stone (and so were Michael Douglas as his longer-serving partner Insp. Steve Keller, and Richard Hatch as his fifth-and-final-season partner, Insp. Dan Robbins), that I have deemed the $40 I paid for CBS' condensed all-in-one to be one of the best investments I've ever made in a television disc release.

Editor's note: The reason why I phrased the question the way I did is because some might have only one series that they deem to be this way, and others (like myself) have quite a few.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Ben,

The first series that comes to mind for me, is The Abbott and Costello Show.
This DVD set featuring both seasons, had no extras what so ever yet spoke for its self magnificently.
Another series DVD set that fits this catagory of course...look at my avatar...is Sky King.

John

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ben,

The first series that comes to mind for me, is The Abbott and Costello Show.
This DVD set featuring both seasons, had no extras what so ever yet spoke for its self magnificently.
Another series DVD set that fits this catagory of course...look at my avatar...is Sky King.

John

I see why you've enjoyed it-- thanks for the response! Another one that has so done for me is M Squad-- Lee Marvin did so remarkably well as Lt. Frank Ballinger of the titular fictional squad of the Chicago Police; the release had but one bonus (that CD of selections from that 1959 RCA Victor soundtrack, which went very well with the 15 discs and 117 outings of the series).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I guess for me, while I like and enjoy good special features, they are absolutely not a requirement if the show content is good, and well presented (i.e., nice-looking transfers, etc.) I feel this way partly because most TV shows on DVD seem to be released without any special features anyway, and so don't really miss what is usually not available in the first place.

I still think a complete season or series set full of episodes is generally good bang for the buck. If the price for the set is high, then some nice special features might take the sting out of the expense...usually this kind of situation mostly affects sci-fi or fantasy cult-type shows, where fans are more willing to cough up the extra funds, especially if there is some nice bonus material to justify their 2nd, 3rd or perhaps even 4th upgrade.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I guess for me, while I like and enjoy good special features, they are absolutely not a requirement if the show content is good, and well presented (i.e., nice-looking transfers, etc.) I feel this way partly because most TV shows on DVD seem to be released without any special features anyway, and so don't really miss what is usually not available in the first place.

I still think a complete season or series set full of episodes is generally good bang for the buck. If the price for the set is high, then some nice special features might take the sting out of the expense...usually this kind of situation mostly affects sci-fi or fantasy cult-type shows, where fans are more willing to cough up the extra funds, especially if there is some nice bonus material to justify their 2nd, 3rd or perhaps even 4th upgrade.

That's another good way of looking at it-- it seems as if you're saying that a release doesn't have to have bonuses to be a good one if the show's good, but even if it is, some fans might like to know a little more about what they're seeing; is that accurate?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'm usually not into bonus features but sometimes they can be interesting, it depends what it is.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Gee, Jeff... way to steal my response... ;) :D

I agree with the exception that "special features" do not, and never have, taken the "sting" out of a purchase price of any product for me. Far too often one of the "special features" on those high dollar sets is crap packaging that will absolutely prevent my making the purchase.

IMHO they all "speak for themselves" as I rarely (almost never) watch "Special Features" on any product and have never let the presence or absence of such be a deciding factor for a purchase. Once upon a time I'd watch deleted scenes or "gag reels" until I decided those scenes are typically cut for a reason (they just don't work, drag things down, or have other negative impact) and "gag reels" are mostly people laughing because they flubbed a line (which 99.9% of the time isn't funny unless you were there or it's an actor you think is "squeaky clean" uttering a naughty word). I'm very familiar with production techniques so "making of" videos have little appeal. When it comes right down to it I'd rather read an article or book about the series than watch a bunch of video "special features."

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When it comes right down to it I'd rather read an article or book about the series than watch a bunch of video "special features."

And one show for which I feel that way is The Streets of San Francisco; James Rosin's 2011 book on that 1972-77 ABC police/detective series, IMO, has gone farther in-depth than any DVD bonus feature could have gone.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Starman was a fabulous show and there isn't a single bonus feature on the DVD set. There are almost not real bonus features on the Hawaii Five-O discs either and that series needs no additional boosts. Same with Have Gun Will Travel.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bonus features really don’t affect my purchases 99% of the time and especially with TV.

What I’m finding lately with shows I like and have been revisiting is that I almost don’t want to see behind the scenes material. If my suspension of disbelief is working right and I accept what I’m watching as real, I don’t want that illusion shattered. At minimum, if I do watch bonus features these days, it’ll be after I finish the full series run and not in the middle of it.

Obviously I know this stuff isn’t real to begin with but it’s more fun for me to imagine, for instance, that Jack Bauer is real rather than listening to Kiefer Sutherland explaining what makes him tick.

If I do dive into the bonus features, it tends to be for stuff that’s long been off the air rather than for stuff that’s current.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ I hate when they put in a different logo. they just don't get it, it's a part of history the way it was. some old show or movie starting with a high tech cgi thing. GroooooOOOoaner!!

I'll say all Norman Lear shows. I'll buy them all twice in case of disc rots. No extras? it would be nice but... not needed. And I hope they do Maude and Good Times live next. They tie together. Although if I had my choice I'd love to see Maude and Sanford & Son next with the live cast. Morgan Freedman = Fred Sanford.. ? :D

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I don't think I've ever made a purchase based on bonus features, and I almost never watch them. It is all about the show. Like Josh mentioned, I know the characters aren't real people. But I enjoy maintaining the suspension of disbelief and enjoy focusing on the episodes themselves. I'm sure the bonus features help sales or they wouldn't include them. But the great shows will always stand on their own.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
^ I hate when they put in a different logo. they just don't get it, it's a part of history the way it was. some old show or movie starting with a high tech cgi thing. GroooooOOOoaner!!

I've noticed that some of these companies might be hearing our complaints about logo changes.
The original Screen Gems logo has been returned to many of its hit TV shows. Paramount has done the same also. While CBS returned its "Iris Eye" logo to its older shows, it still managed to sneak in it current CBS logo also and that I'm okay with.
I hated seeing Worldvison plaster its logo over the Bing Crosby Productions logo at the end of Ben Casey...it was so abruptly done.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Perry Mason individual half season sets have no bonus features. I was very happy to have the complete unedited, remastered episodes. No extras needed as those eps. speak for themselves.

I do have the 50th Anniversary set and those extras were interesting. At the time, there was speculation that the series might not continue and that seemed a way to exhibit some specialty episodes as well as extras.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've noticed that some of these companies might be hearing our complaints about logo changes.
The original Screen Gems logo has been returned to many of its hit TV shows. Paramount has done the same also. While CBS returned its "Iris Eye" logo to its older shows, it still managed to sneak in it current CBS logo also and that I'm okay with.
I hated seeing Worldvison plaster its logo over the Bing Crosby Productions logo at the end of Ben Casey...it was so abruptly done.

Sadly, CBS/Paramount still has not restored the "Rising Stars" logo to the 1968 episodes of Star Trek's second season.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Bonus features or commentaries can make me buy the disc of a film I really don’t like. I had purchased all the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals on DVD except for “The Sound Of Music”, which I really don’t like at all. It of course was included in the Blu ray set. I found the commentaries and extras very interesting.

My DVD copy of the silent Phantom of the Opera has a fascinating commentary — I never play it without it. Actually, when I think about it, except for 3D discs, I watch almost all the Blu rays and DVDs with commentary if there is one. I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones I had not seen before in the theatre.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The original Hawaii Five-O had virtually no extras except for that featurette in the first season. Another long-runner that got very little love in extras was JAG. An even more so ditto for the original Law & Order.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I'll say all Norman Lear shows. I'll buy them all twice in case of disc rots. No extras? it would be nice but... not needed. And I hope they do Maude and Good Times live next. They tie together. Although if I had my choice I'd love to see Maude and Sanford & Son next with the live cast. Morgan Freedman = Fred Sanford.. ? :D

In the absence of extras above and beyond the ones Sony already provided for some of them, the American Television Archive interviews fill in the gaps quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks