1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

shows that have been destroyed

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jimmyjet, May 12, 2013.

1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Yeah the latest known casualties of game show wiping are Wheel of Fortune (nearly the entire Woolery + first four years of Sajak daytime episodes), the Reg Grundy Sale of the Century (only the last 6 months of the NBC daytime version survive allegedly), and Dream House (lost in a flood).

2. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I hope Star of the Family, which was seen on ABC in the 1982-83 season, has not been taped over with other programming!

Paramount (CBS) owns the rights to this short-lived series, and I would think that Paramount would not allow ABC to reuse these tapes w/o their consent (or, hopefully, at all). This series is videotaped, hence my concerns.

~Ben

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    They also own The Cavanaughs, and I'd think the same for that short-lived 1986-89 CBS comedy (that Paramount would not allow the Tiffany Network to wipe over the tapes).

BTW, should Star of The Family still exist (and a release is made of it), would that release be an MOD, like these Ben Casey releases are (this question also applies to The Cavanaughs)?

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  4. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Hard to believe that it's now 50 years since Letters to Laugh-In's brief run of 13 weeks/65 episodes. It was a fun show but not a ratings success for NBC, so after 13 weeks Letters to Laugh-In was no more. It's competition was Dark Shadows on ABC and Gomer Pyle repeats on CBS.

bmasters9 likes this.
  5. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Most likely it would be, given the show's general low popularity. The first few episodes would have had the version of the Blue Mountain similar to the one you see at the end of pre-1987 episodes of Solid Gold, Entertainment Tonight/This Week and Madame's Place, while the tail end of the run, including at least one of the three that didn't air on ABC, would have had the taller-peaked version of the logo seen on a few season two and all season four episodes of Webster.

~Ben

bmasters9 likes this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Well, even if it is an MOD, at least you'd have it to enjoy (and I'd feel the same way about The Cavanaughs)!

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  7. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Currently on You Tube, there are Wheel of Fortune videos with Chuck Woolery hosting. I also found a Wheel of Fortune video with Bob Goen hosting. I had completely forgotten that Bob Goen hosted Wheel of Fortune.

Also on You Tube, I found some videos of the High Rollers game show with Alex Trebek hosting. Thankfully we are in the internet era where there is You Tube and some of these rare videos can be seen.

bmasters9 likes this.
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I saw one episode of the first version (the one where the models rolled the dice), and I think it was better to have the players rolling the dice on the subsequent versions (later Trebek, and 1987-88 Martindale), because with a model rolling, your luck might not hold out (at least that's the way I see it).

Lecagr likes this.
  9. Message #409 of 470 Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Yes I agree with your statement. I'm actually most familiar with the first/original version of the show as I watched those fairly frequently. The later/subsequent versions I didn't watch as much.

How about the Jackpot game show from 1974-75 with Geoff Edwards that aired on NBC? Do those shows still survive or were they wiped/erased also? Info I found on Wikipedia says that NBC wiped the episodes except for one which survives and is posted on You Tube.

10. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Erased. The Bob Stewart daytime shows of the late 60s and 70s that aired from New York are all gone except for his last daytime New York show, "Pass The Buck" which had a 13 week run on CBS in 1978. The last two years of "$20,000 Pyramid" from 1978-1980 in New York are largely intact but the earlier daytime Pyramids were mostly wiped save a few weeks of CBS "$10,000 Pyramid" from 1973.

The lone episode of NBC "Jackpot" that survives was saved for a specific reason (and if you've seen it, you know what it is). Obviously the 80s USA "Jackpot" and the 1989 syndicated revival that Edwards hosted exist.

11. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

A few shows I'm curious about:

Make Me Laugh -- Bobby Van hosted this revival of the game show, 1979-80 (USA showed reruns in the mid-1980s)

Marlo And The Magic Movie Machine -- syndicated by Group W, this aired Sunday mornings on our Chicago CBS affiliate

Take Five With Stiller And Meara -- five minute sketch comedy series syndicated by JWT. Aired on WFLD-Channel 32 in Chicago. A partial home recording of one episode recently was posted to the Fuzzy Memories site.

12. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    I haven't seen it. Could you tell me what that is?

13. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Oh man, you're right! Fifty years ago!

I remember watching it when I got home from school. To be fair, it was oftentimes a bit annoying to watch. Some of the guest stars didn't know when to stop fooling around. And no matter the jokes being read by the guest stars, when you have a group of audience members (or anyone) rating a joke from -100 to +100 you're placing judgment on something you normally either just enjoy or don't...but giving something a numerical judgment? How do you do that? So very often the audience's rating didn't make any sense. That's why game shows like "Make Me Laugh" didn't last very long. Turns out if money's involved, most contestants weren't going to laugh no matter what! Still, it was something of it's time and I'd like to see them again. I remember seeing Lily Tomlin on the show a week before she premiered on Laugh-In.

After I posted yesterday I googled the show to see what might come up and found a link that has all of the guest stars that were on each week for the thirteen weeks, which I found interesting.

http://ctva.biz/US/GameShow/LettersToLaugh-In.htm

14. Jack P

Jack P Producer

A record-setting Super Jackpot win of $38,750.

MartinP. and bmasters9 like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Heck of a lot of money back then!

16. Message #416 of 470 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I had to search for that last one--never heard of it. Fuzzy Memories also posted the brief snippet on youtube: although the second sketch is cut off. I just remember how much I always loved Anne Meara; I got to meet her...I was acting as an extra in an (unsold) pilot she was starring in (circa turn of the century). I just remember how warm she was. She came up and said something to me, can't remember what, but it was actually rare that the stars ever actually speak to extras! I also recall she was capable of some mighty blue wisecracks around the set. Hilarious, warm lady to be around for two days.

Jerry was there for support. He showed up the second day when we went to tape. He was not well that day, but did his best. He was sitting up in the third row with the invited audience, kinda smiling down at the proceedings. I recall before we started taping Anne pointed up and said "Theh's my HUSbind..." and the audience went nuts. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the pilot. I filmed so dang many of those that didn't go...!

Mark Y likes this.
  17. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Cool story, thanks for sharing! "Take Five" used to air in the middle of the night after the Three Stooges back in the summer of 1978, as the last show before Channel 32 signed off for the night. What's odd is, although Stiller & Meara are still remembered (and known also as Ben Stiller's parents) their show seems to have disappeared without a trace, until this video clip showed up.

18. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    There's another episode of the original Jackpot series that survives, supposedly it's the series final episode, but only the audio track exists.

Such a shame that so many game show episodes from past years were wiped/erased. So much TV nostalgia and history is lost. It's very sad.

I'd be curious to know about the 16 contestants that appeared in the $38,750 Super Jackpot episode, what they are doing today. I imagine some might have passed away. Geoff Edwards passed away a few years ago.

19. Jack P

Jack P Producer

There are actually two or three audio only home recordings of Jackpot. I also have an audio recording of the last episode of "The Big Showdown" the great short-lived 1974-75 ABC game show for which only one episode exists in full video wise (where host Jim Peck falls down the stairs when making his entrance).

Whether something was saved or not depended entirely on the production company/network. If you were Goodson-Todman in the 70s and on CBS your chances as we saw were good. Sadly, ABC wiped out the 70s revival of "Password" and also the great Tom Kennedy hosted "Split Second." NBC's track record prior to 1978 is the worst.

20. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

No one thought decades ago that there would be an avenue or any interest in shows from the past. Hundreds of cable channels, digital sub channels, home video, streaming. No one had that kind of foresight. And the cheapo networks, like NBC and ABC, didn't want to pay storage and wanted to reuse the tapes.

Susan Nunes_329977 likes this.