1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

shows that have been destroyed

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jimmyjet, May 12, 2013.

1. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Six? It was two (Mama's Boyfriend and Cellmates)

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    But weren't more than that presented in edited versions on the Time-Life box set?

3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Mama's Boyfriend and Cellmates were supposedly presented in their syndicated format because of master tape issues. Any other edited episode was short due to music rights related edits.

4. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    Resurrecting this thread:

The first season of the 1969-1978 Syndicated version of Goodson-Todman/Firestone's To Tell the Truth is said to no longer exist, save for one episode (#0012), which is at UCLA. I have no idea why this is the case, as the entire Syndicated run of What's My Line? (1968-1975) exists.

5. Jack P

Jack P Producer

It's not the only syndicated G-T show of this period with a spotty record. Most of the 1969-70 syndicated "He Said, She Said" hosted by Joe Garagiola hasn't survived. GSN has aired what appears to be all extant episodes which is two pilots in B/W kinescope and about seven regular episodes (most from a week where Sally Field and her then husband play).

My understanding is the first season of TTTT retained some elements of the waning days of the CBS daytime run (having a celebrity spouse) which were discarded for S2. G-T may not have been as conscientious about those for whatever reason.

6. wizard55

wizard55 Stunt Coordinator

Tyler
    Great thread! I'm worried about alot of series aftet the 60's. Most exist in Vaults but in what condition and as with Mama's Family as example, how many are only Syndicated prints?I still think the ALF fiasco was a joke. Lionsgate used all syndi's because original prints were in rough shape, and Germany release has great looking original prints? Hmmmmmmm. >_>

7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

As long as the thread's been bumped and game shows have been a big part of the discussion, I have been recently transferring the last batch of "I've Got A Secret" shows I have from VHS to DVD that came from GSN airings in 2001-2003 and thank goodness I recorded them because that was the only time we ever got a full pass through most of the classic era of IGAS which was the 1950s period sponsored by Winston. For the most part, GSN tended to suppress these shows because of the prominence of the Winston logo and in the repeats when they did air, the "brought to you by" bit was edited out.Had these shows not aired the one time on GSN we would have been deprived of the funniest of all the game shows. I would in fact say that IGAS probably had more funny moments than most of the classic sitcoms of this era because the laughs they generated through the wackiness of live TV and the personas of Garry Moore, Henry Morgan, Bill Cullen etc. were totally unpredictable and in fact, in watching them, would be generating storylines for weeks on end.And even if game shows were still being released on DVD, you never could get a decent set of IGAS because it frequently used music and singing on the program and the legal clearance issues would be the most problematic of *any* vintage game show other than "Name That Tune".

BobO'Link and Ockeghem like this.
  8. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    Jack P, I have been on a What's My Line? kick lately, thanks to a great guy named Gary.

Still, for a series that has almost 100% of its archive intact, the loss of some episodes is, nevertheless, troubling. The likes of Boris Karloff, Joan Bennett, Basil Rathbone, Cab Calloway, Hoagy Carmichael, Samuel Goldwyn Carmen Miranda, Cecil B. DeMille, and Dane Clark were mystery guests during that lost period. A shame nobody caught what CBS was doing for two whole years, until Gil Fates took over as producer. If only someone had warned him earlier...

But I think the most baffling of post-1952 losses has to do with the 3/11/56 (Fred Allen's last show) and 1/23/66 shows. Both of them had one thing in common: They both featured Dinah Shore as a mystery guest. In the case of the former, only her segment is missing.

What I can't figure out, is what was so special about her segments that made the WML at 25 production team want to use them for the special? I don't even know if she was left-handed or right-handed. For me, part of the fun of watching WML is finding out such a thing, regarding mystery guests.

Susan Nunes_329977 and Ron1973 like this.
  9. Jack P

Jack P Producer

And in a similar note because of its timeliness, the very last WML missing from a chronological standpoint just happens to be Lauren Bacall's final Mystery Guest appearance of July 23, 1967.

10. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    [​IMG]

Jack, look at this photo from very early on in the run. Do you know who the mystery guest is?

People are saying it is James Farley, Postmaster during the FDR administration. But is it really? I do know that this episode was from before December 31, 1950 (The white easel board is still there), and before March 11, 1951 (Louis Untermeyer was fired after that episode). But is it really Farley?

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

12. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    And now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the Syndicated era of WML exists in its entirety. Wasn't there a good chunk of the run (mainly the Wally Bruner era) that GSN never showed?

In contrast, GSN showed virtually all of the surviving episodes of the original series, save for a handful.

13. Jack P

Jack P Producer

No, the whole syndie run exists and has been shown. The Bruner era was only shown regularly in the pre-"Dark Period" era of GSN history from 1994 to 1997 which is why it's not as plentiful among collectors compared to the Blyden era, which is what GSN started with when the Goodson library returned in April 1998. I do recall though in the final weeks before the "Dark Period" the Bruner shows were only airing on Saturday and Sunday mornings (which is also when they were airing the Jack Narz hosted episodes of "Beat The Clock" which were never regularly shown again afterwards).

14. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    You mentioned cigarette-sponsored episodes of IGAS. Unknown to me until now, WML did the same thing with Kool Cigarettes. However, this was only during the fall of 1965, and a year had passed since the show added radio-style coverings to remove all the sponsors from the set design.

All GSN did for those particular episodes was remove the Kool Cigarette sponsor during the opening. Otherwise, they aired them like normal.

15. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    One show to add to the "Turns out it wasn't wiped" pile: the old soap opera The Doctors. Its getting reruns on RTV.

MatthewA and Susan Nunes_329977 like this.
  16. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Anyone know if all 12 episodes of the The Charles Farrell Show sitcom still exist. I know that 2 episodes (Fashion Show and French Love ) exist on 16 mm. but I was wondering if a complete run exists anywhere.

17. Luis Alberni Lives

Luis Alberni Lives Auditioning

Anthony Carrillo
    I am sitting here with a good friend of mine. His older brothers and sisters had a band called the Allen Family not to be confused with the new Christian band the Allen Family. The Allens were the first Caucasian family band to sign with Motown in 1975, and had performed on Dick Clark's American Bandstand of that same year, the same episode included also a performance by Johnny Bristol. My friend David called ABC to inquire about purchasing a copy of their performance from the 35 mm real or whatever format it was filmed on to see his family band perform and at one time was told that the reels have been burned and then 10 years later inquiring once again was told that a section of the reels had been stolen, so yeah something seems fishy here, we just don't know. If anyone has any information on this performance tape or topic in question or where we can obtain a copy of the Allens on American Bandstand May 17th 1975, please get ahold of me right away. Thanks!

Gary OS likes this.
  18. Message #398 of 470 Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I want to add the following about this, regarding some of my favorite TV shows and cartoons.

I am hoping that the following below is not genuinely lost...

Paramount Television:
    Seven in Darkness (TV movie, 1969, ABC)
    Love, American Style (1969-74, ABC) - all reruns from seasons 2-5 are from syndicated prints, and Decades did air a few of the original first 16 season 2 broadcasts that were 30 minutes long
    The Silent Gun (TV movie, 1969, ABC)
    Quarantined (TV movie, 1970, ABC)
    Weekend of Terror (TV movie, 1970, ABC)
    Escape (TV movie, 1971, ABC)
    Funny Face (1971) / The Sandy Duncan Show (1972, CBS)
    Women in Chains (TV movie, 1972, ABC)
    The Weekend Nun (TV movie, 1972, ABC)
    Poor Devil (TV movie, 1973, NBC)
    Call to Danger (TV movie, 1973, CBS)
    A Time for Love (TV movie, 1973, NBC)
    Love Story (TV series, 1973-74, NBC)
    Archer (1975 TV series, NBC)
    Kate McShane (1975, CBS)
    The Cop and the Kid (1975-76, NBC)
    Serpico (TV series, 1976-77, NBC)
    Szysznyk (1977, CBS)
    Mulligan's Stew (1977, NBC)
    Brothers and Sisters (1979, NBC)
    Out of the Blue (U.S. TV series, 1979, ABC) - only eight episodes aired (the first being an hour-long special), with four additional left unaired
    Foul Play (TV series, 1981, ABC)
    Star of the Family (1982, ABC) - only 10 episodes aired, with three additional left unaired
    Ryan's Four (1983, ABC) - five episodes aired, one additional unaired
    Mr. Smith (1983, NBC)
    Mr. Sunshine (1986, ABC)
    All is Forgiven (1986, NBC)
    Gung Ho (TV series, 1986-87, ABC)
    The Tortellis (1987, NBC)
    Bronx Zoo (1987-88, NBC)
    Duet (1987-89, FOX) - two season 1 episodes were originally 1 hour long when first broadcast on FOX
    Roman Holiday (TV movie, 1987, NBC)

Hanna-Barbera:
    The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968, NBC)
    Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (1969-70, CBS) - first three season 1 episodes using Ted Nichols' instrumental theme song, and also any bumpers used between commercial breaks and previews
    Motormouse and Autocat (1970, ABC) - the additional eight episodes of this and It's the Wolf! that aired following its spinoff from Cattanooga Cats
    The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972-73, CBS)
    Cyrano (special, 1974, ABC)
    The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976, ABC) - original opening and closing credits, though the latter had been seen on USA Cartoon Express reruns of Dynomutt, Dog Wonder during the mid 1980s-early 1990s; would love to see not only the original intro and outro but also the opening and closing previews and any special bumpers used between commercial breaks
    CB Bears (1977, NBC) - original 1-hour format also with Blast-Off Buzzard, Heyyy, It's the King!, Posse Impossible, Shake, Rattle and Roll and Undercover Elephant
    Skatebirds (1977, CBS) - original 1-hour format also with Mystery Island, The Robonic Stooges, Wonder Wheels and edited reruns of Clue Club under the title Woofer and Whimper: Dog Detectives
    The Three Robonic Stooges
    (1978, CBS) - eight additional episodes aired from January 28 to March 18, 1978 after being spun off from Skatebirds; reruns of both The Robonic Stooges and Woofer and Whimper continued
    Yogi's Space Race (1978, NBC) - the original 90-minute format also with Galaxy Goof-Ups, The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost that lasted eight weeks, and then the last five shows that were 1 hour after Galaxy Goof-Ups was spun off as its own series. Another series that I would like to have any opening and closing previews and bumpers used between commercial breaks
    The Thing (1979, NBC) - originally part of the 1-hour Fred and Barney Meet the Thing (slapped together with The New Fred and Barney Show that debuted seven months earlier) and later in a 90-minute format also with The New Shmoo under the newer banner Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo; only the individual segments were re-ran on cable (Cartoon Network/Boomerang), with no opening or closing credits
    Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (season 3, spring 1980, ABC) - only the original closing credits seem to be missing
    The All-New Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo Show (1980, ABC) - the first five weeks of what is known today as the second season of Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo, containing three 7-minute stories per show, originally aired under this unofficial title, combined with reruns of the 1979-80 season single-story episodes that were 30 minutes long; the closing credits audio is still heard today in syndicated and cable reruns on these three-segment shows that also aired as part of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show. I would love to know if the original five-week intro/outro exists somewhere.
    The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (1980-81, ABC) - it is rumored season 1's original closing credits were in a special format that also combined the closing credits for The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang, which was evident in the audio that we partly hear on Richie Rich reruns on cable TV (Cartoon Network/Boomerang)
    Jokebook (1982, NBC) - one of Hanna-Barbera's many failed attempts at primetime revivals, this aired for only three weeks in the spring of 1982, and four additional episodes did not air

~Ben

19. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Sadly, episodes of game shows from years past are notoriously known for being wiped/erased.

There also are episodes of prime time TV shows from years past that are gone because elements have become lost or not cared for.

MartinP. likes this.
  20. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Yes, I was going to say I'd like to check out the three months (65 episodes) of Letters to Laugh-In and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned NBC had erased it all. Although a few years ago there was one episode that had been posted on youtube, but is no longer there.