1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

shows that have been destroyed

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jimmyjet, May 12, 2013.

1. Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura Stunt Coordinator

Kevin Segura
    Actually, a good number of 1960s "Concentration" eps exist-- they were discovered during a vault search for another series-- but they surfaced after GSN suffered their "Hollywood Squares" rating debacle, so the cable network actually passed on having them transferred and re-aired.

(Frankly, the "Squares" thing was their own fault-- they only had about 150 eps transferred, and ran them into the ground by repeating them ad nauseum-- so I don't think they should have jumped to any conclusions regarding "Concentration". However, **I** don't run the network, so I suppose we'll never find out just how much "Hugh Downs-mania" would have been generated...)

- Kevin

2. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Interesting. Do these still exist as kinescopes or as tape masters?

I will concurr that they overdid the one group of HSQ programs and IMO they shouldn't have aired any episodes with Jonathan Winters who was a terrible game player and totally unfunny when he did the show (count the number of times he would waste time before saying he didn't have a bluff; Peter would then have to ask him questions so he could answer them as a character just to liven him up)

3. Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura Stunt Coordinator

Kevin Segura
    I was told that they were kinescopes... and that there were a **lot**of them. Didn't get a specific run of dates, though.

- Kevin

4. Jack P

Jack P Producer

They could have packaged them as part of B/W overnight back in the day. But then again, GSN I'm sure would have wanted the rights to the Narz and Trebek versions as well as part of any deal with NBC and they weren't accomodating back in the mid-90s.

5. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    One thing I have been trying to find is footage or logos of The Madison Square Garden Network, the predecessor to the USA Network. But I can't seem to find anything.

So I have no idea what the MSGN logo looked like back then.

6. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    And it was thought that "Sky King" was partially lost in a New York film vault fire. Timothy D. Kehr of Minneapolis said that there were 58 episodes lost forever in his intro of an SK episode on a twin cities TV station back in the late 80s. He passed away just recently, so R.I.P, Tim. Another source on the web listed 64 episodes, but nothing was lost forever, because only 72 Sky King episodes were made all along from 1951 to 59. The DVD boxed set from series owner Bill Campbell is way to pricey, going for $200!

7. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    My mother constantly asked me if "Sky King" was available on DVD. I priced the box set and almost passed out from sticker shock! I wound up getting her a DVD with a handful of episodes and I don't think she ever watched it, Glad I didn't spring for the box set. It seems like a good show the handful of shows I've caught but not $200 worth of good.

8. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    I read that all the 35mm negatives of "My Living Doll" were destroyed in a 1994 Northridge, California Earthquake, so that's why Julie Newmar has been searching diligently for 16mm copies from collectors in hopes of completing the series for release on DVD.

9. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I bought that box set when it as on sale , and even discounted it was way overpriced. But the episodes are nice quality and complete . I wish some company would inaugurate a series of 1950's-60's saturday morning releases. It would be nice to see things Crusader Rabbitt, Captain Midnight , Captain Gallant, Andy's Gang, Tales Of Texas Rangers , Rin Tin Tin, etc released .

Ron1973 likes this.
  10. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Leon Romero
    I once thought that the BBC's wiping of Doctor Who master tapes and junking of 16mm telerecordings was the worst loss of television material. Now I read this thread and see just how bad other shows of years gone by fared. At least we only have 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who, whereas the ABC version of You Don't Say was exterminated, along with countless series of daytime programming pre-1978.

I don't believe any of the rumors about missing Doctor Who episodes being found. The rumor of some scattered episodes earlier last year being found was false, and the omnirumor was absolute baloney. The recent rumors of the seven episodes of Marco Polo being found can't be true, the story printed by Radio Times was too far-fetched and the lead on 16mm prints in Canada proved to be a dead end. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think we'll see those episodes found.

Also, I once had a teacher who appeared on one episode of The Gong Show in 1978. She performed a dance with some friends where all of them were dressed as penguins! Needless to say, she never got a copy of the episode. Does anyone here know the status of the The Gong Show episodes from that period? I'm assuming they were wiped.

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Actually, "The Gong Show" is pretty much intact because much to my personal chagrin, Chuck Barris was more savvy than other producers of the day about keeping his material. "Gong" is in fact the earliest NBC daytime game show I know of to have most of its complete run intact.

GSN aired episodes in 1997-98 during its so-called "Dark Period" then they pretty much disappeared again.

I freely admit I am not a fan of Barris shows and it used to drive me crazy seeing how much of his archive was intact compared to other producers like Bob Stewart etc. for the 1970s.

12. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    More importantly, I can't figure out why Lromero1396's teacher never got a copy of her performance. What was keeping her from getting it? All of the 1976-1980 Gong Show, both daytime and Syndicated editions, exist.

No offense to you, Jack, but I like The Gong Show. I also like watching some of Barris' other programs, as a bit of a guilty pleasure.

13. Jack P

Jack P Producer

None taken! :) Like I said, I think my dislike for the Barris library (with the partial exception of "Treasure Hunt") stems more from its higher rate of survival compared to the volume of lost shows from this same time period that I wish had survived.

Still more "lost" episodes of NY Pyramid are being posted to YT. As I said earlier, no other game show of the 70s has had more contestant recording episodes surface than that one (were NY contestants just more savvy than LA ones in the 70s???)

14. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I remember watching the GE College Bowl back in the sixties. I think it was always on early Sunday evenings. My preteen mind boggled at the insanely difficult questions.

Also watched the Art Fleming version of Jeopardy which, as I recall, was on in the early weekday afternoons. Too bad that these don't exist anymore.

And I recall That Was The Week That Was. The humor went right over my head, but I'll always remember the catchy title song.

15. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    This has probably already been answered, but how did that episode of The $10,000 Pyramid from June 1973 find its way onto the trading circuit? Did the big winner on that episode (his name was Preston) have a 3/4 U-Matic machine running in his home at the time?

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I actually know Preston from the Film Score Monthly message board and he said he did have it recorded though he has no memory of making a copy at some point down the line that accounted for it appearing the collectors trade circuit (it was clearly recopied over and over in the VHS days accounting for the low quality state its in now).

Preston shared his contestant experience at a games show board and its fascinatig reading.

http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,18296.msg219492.html#msg219492

17. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

They offered the 2-inch master tapes of the show to Leland Hayward, the producer, and he turned them down because he figured the show was so topical that it would have no future value. After seeing the few that still exist, I have to say he was right. I was alive when the show aired but still no idea about most of what's being referred to.

18. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

It's all relative. If someone were to get a great deal on 16mm film prints of 72 episodes of a show at say $10 apiece, it would still be almost 4 times as much. Provided they had no transfer costs. So, unlike 99% of the DVD releases, its not as laughably cheap as the rest of them are.

19. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Unconfirmed rumor with no substantiation. As far as I read, and this goes back to an article in Movie Collectors World in the mid-80s, Jack Chertok, the producer of the show, could not do anything with it. No one wanted it and he thought it had no value and thus had all of the elements destroyed. Much as Jack Webb did with Noah's Ark and Pete Kelly's Blues. I believe that to be the true story despite what has been written about on the internet.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Six episodes of Mama's Family are only known to exist in the syndicated versions. This should be a wake-up call to all rights holders whose holdings are on tape: there but for the grace of nature goes your show.