What's new

Shows removed from Amazon prime (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The Andy Griffith show and Perry Mason appear to have been removed from prime. I tried to watch and neither was viewable.
I’m guessing the streaming contract was up on each.

Those two and The Brady Bunch all moved to CBS All Access (or whatever it's called). I'm REALLY going to miss Perry Mason!

mark-edk

Second Unit
I hate that they are gone (very convenient to watch them there even though Perry only had the first five seasons available if I'm remembering correctly). Thankfully I have the discs.

The Amazon seasons were full of holes with random episodes skipped. After I got the 4-6 box I had to check Which ones Amazon skipped and catch up on them from the DVDs.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The Amazon seasons were full of holes with random episodes skipped. After I got the 4-6 box I had to check Which ones Amazon skipped and catch up on them from the DVDs.

Amazon does this with many series: Green Acres, Brady Bunch, Outer Limits, many more. I don't understand whey they would carry 95% of a season and skip 1 or 2 episodes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just don’t really get where the idea came from that a subscription service is expected to license third party content in perpetuity. That’s not to say it’s not obnoxious when something leaves a service you’re already paying for, but I just don’t see it as a “Sky is falling” type of scenario. (To be fair, I don’t think that this is a thread suggesting so.)

I’m guessing that maybe everyone had different experiences with broadcast and syndication TV but like I said before to me this feels very similar to that. It used to be that Id watch my favorite reruns of a show on Channel 11. Then they’d move to channel 9. A few years later, they’d go to channel 5. Some would go to cable, which we didn’t have when I was a kid.

That feels about the same as now. Sometimes an old show is on Netflix, sometimes it’s on Prime, it may then go to Hulu or a specific network’s app, and then it might come back to where it started.

For the shows/movies I want as close as possible to permanent, no questions or hassles access to, I buy on a digital storefront or on physical media. For everything else that I’m happy to pick up as it becomes available and leave when it’s no longer there, streaming is fine. Which for me mirrors how I used to watch TV, where some shows I’d watch because they were available and some shows I’d go to the hassle of taping off TV or getting Columbia House VHS so it was always up to me.

Its funny how the tech changes but the approach I’ve had doesn’t seem to change much. I feel both modern and dinosaur-like simultaneously. :)
That very thing is why I love having a physical collection.

Before video I started my record/CD collection so I wasn't beholden to the whims of some radio station.

I dumped radio in the early 70s and used my collection (made my own tapes for the car) for music. I listened to radio at other people's house or in their car (if they didn't have a tape deck...). I now listen to radio at work (streaming) and get an occasional new song from it so make another physical purchase for my collection.

It's the same with DVD/BR. As soon as they came along I jumped on it and built a collection so I wasn't beholden to the networks/cable channels. You can now add subscription streaming to that list. Like radio stations, I find them all to be acceptable to sample a show but if I like it I purchase a copy - physical if possible - to have it under my control for viewing.

I used to build a watchlist on Amazon until I found stuff being removed. I monitored that for ~12 months to find few, if any, were made available again. Some were made available only with one of those "add on" subscriptions. I don't bother with a watchlist any more, unless it's for that rare Amazon original I think I'll enjoy, and just look for something if I want to watch it right then or sample it for a possible purchase.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So now I see that The Andy Griffith show is listed on Amazon prime again. However the season 4 episode Andy’s Vacation is not showing prime eligible while all other seasons and all other eepisodes show prime eligible

Yeah, I'm watching this for the first time, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Very well written series.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m still curious as to way the one episode Andy’s Vacation. Season 4 isn’t viewable. It is listed for purchase while all other eps show as prime offerings

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Amazon does this with many series: Green Acres, Brady Bunch, Outer Limits, many more. I don't understand whey they would carry 95% of a season and skip 1 or 2 episodes.

Taxi is terrible. large chunks of the episodes are missing. But other than that Amazon Prime is the real winner for classic TV. They have more content than Hulu, and Netflix.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
How many of the missing episodes of CBS/Paramount/Viacom shows are music-heavy ones?
When The Brady Bunch was on Hulu (later on Prime) the same episodes weren't available...many were music based, notably the talent show with Carol and Marcia singing "Together" (I THINK that's the name of the song), and the TV show were they sing "Sunshine Day".

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
When The Brady Bunch was on Hulu (later on Prime) the same episodes weren't available...many were music based, notably the talent show with Carol and Marcia singing "Together" (I THINK that's the name of the song), and the TV show were they sing "Sunshine Day".

I suspected as much. Webster was on Hulu until recently and had huge gaps where Ben Vereen song-and-dance performances (and those by others, like two parts of a three-part season opener about a jazz musician in San Francisco) used to be. The pilot for Family Ties was only available 100% uncut on the Columbia House VHS version; what's on Amazon Prime is no longer or shorter than what's on DVD. I guess everything else is the same. Laverne & Shirley had some pretty crippling edits that I can recall.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
For the past few weeks I've been watching the old "Dark Shadows" series on Amazon Prime. Today I was watching episode 843 and when it ended episode 844 was supposed to start. It didn't start. Dark Shadows is no longer included with Prime as of about an hour ago.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They've moved several "classic" TV shows to the "IMDB Channel" which is "Free with ads" instead of the former "Free with Prime" option. Father Knows Best and UFO are a couple of those.

Babylon 5 is also no longer available - at all. Well... most episodes of S3 are $1.99 each but...

The Soupy Sales Show is no longer available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks