What's new

Shows in PAL format (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I wasn't sure how to word this topic, but my question is this: are there any American TV shows available in the PAL format that are not available in the states? I know that Ally McBeal is one that is, but are there others? Since they don't have the same licensing problems we do here, I thought the UK or another country might already have some shows available that we don't yet have in the U.S.

Another question: does anyone here have a multi-region player? Do you like it? Would it be worth it for me to get one?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

That is for you yourself to determine. I bought one mainly so that I could watch/purchase various British TV programmes and films that don't stand much chance of getting a US release (such as The Goodies, Man About the House, Have I Got News For You and Steptoe and Son).

True, there is some American TV on R2-PAL that isn't out over here yet, but that's not reason enough for me to own the player now, especially since a). the exchange rate against the pound taken a big nosedive in the last 4-5 years and b). most of the US-TV product is coming out sooner, cheaper and more complete in the US anyway. There are always going to be exceptions, but unless you're wanting to buy foreign productions, the expense (mainly in the discs themselves, not the player) probably isn't justified in your case.

Of course, you can get a multi-region player for as cheap as $30-40 anyway, and can get a name-brand one (like a Philips) for around $70.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I too bought a multi-region dvd player to watch certain British TV series that have yet to be released here or will never be released here in their entirety. I'm very happy with my player, and it works as advertised.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Be aware that these PAL discs will have something that may or may not bother you. It's called PAL speedup, and for many people it's inconsequential, while for others it's enough to be a dealbreaker. Basically a show that runs 25 minutes is sped up and will play in 24 minutes. Many people never even notice, but if that would bother you, be forewarned.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I think an All-Region player is a must. I have some Brit series (ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, MEN BEHAVING BADLY) and one American series (Disney's ZORRO, sadly colorized). Some of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. is available over there, too.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't sure how to word this topic, but my question is this: are there any American TV shows available in the PAL format that are not available in the states?

A ton - The Real Ghostbusters, more episodes of The Hulk, The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman are just a couple off the top of my head. And then of course theres loads of UK shows that havent been released here - Blakes 7, Doctor Who '05, Count Duckula.

* does anyone here have a multi-region player?

Yup, I've had several.

* Do you like it?

Wouldnt give it up for the world at this point. The freedom to be able to watch any disc on the planet, regardless of the policy of Big Business, is wonderful.

* Would it be worth it for me to get one?

I'm still wondering why people DON'T do region free. Why would anyone go through life with such a limited selection of discs is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks