What's new

Shows I Would Buy With Zero Chance Of Release (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Helen Hunt was also in a CBS family drama produced (and ostensibly still owned) by Warner Bros. called The Fitzpatricks where she co-starred with Jimmy McNichol (while his sister Kristy was still on Family), Clark Brandon (Jo's boyfriend Eddie from Facts of Life), and Sean Marshall (the original Pete from Pete's Dragon: although the film was shot first, this show actually premiered before the film opened). It lasted longer than Richard Pryor's show did against on NBC Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley but still was gone in 13 weeks. They'll get to that when they get to it. The show's failure enabled Clark Brandon to do another show for ABC in 1979 called Out of the Blue, vaguely connected to Happy Days, but no more successful; Sean Marshall did another show called The Mackenzies of Paradise Cove (produced by Viacom thus under CBS/Paramount's control) that same year, also on ABC, then left the business when it, too, came and went.

Also totally unrepresented on DVD is the 1970s version of the Mickey Mouse Club, the one that produced two future Facts of Life girls and also had Corey Feldman's sister. With a fourth iteration coming to TV, maybe that will change.

Regarding Jennifer Slept Here, how did One Day at a Time explain Glenn Scarpelli being gone from it in their final season for this show?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
There are a few from the 70s that top my list of those I would buy but have zero chance of being released.

Finally a few that weren't all that bad but they weren't all that good either. Temperatures Rising, The Swiss Family Robinson (Martin and Paper Moon.

How was Paper Moon? I remember the promos for it, but not how good it was? Any opinions?

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You know, with all the "biggies" being tied up by respective issues, perhaps the companies should work on getting more "minor" series out on DVD. There seems to be quite an increase with the number of more forgotten programs coming out this year, than "major."

James

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Regarding Jennifer Slept Here, how did One Day at a Time explain Glenn Scarpelli being gone from it in their final season for this show?

Early in the 1st episode of Season 9, Mark tells Ann that he received a postcard from Alex and then asks when he's coming home. Ann replies that Alex decided to spend the semester back with his mother. She says she has mixed emotions about it. Sam, who's also in the room, makes it clear that he's happy about the situation. And that's the last time Alex is mentioned.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Shows I would definitely buy, but I think have a snowball's chance in hell:

Temple Houston
The Trials of OBrien
Slattery's People
Buckskin
The Americans (1961)
Ensign O'Toole
The Great Adventure
Profiles in Courage
San Francisco Beat
Valentine's Day
Men of Anapolis
Richard Diamond
Climax
Suspicion
The Alaskans
The Roaring 20's
The Detectives
Hong Kong
Bus Stop
It's a Man's World
Judd for the Defense
The Travels of Jamie McPheeters
The Richard Boone Show
Mr. Broadway

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
So *you're* the guy who watched "AfterMASH!" ;):D

I watched it, too. All episodes; I actually liked it.

Herman's Head
Flying Blind

Herman's Head! I used to watch that all the time. I wonder how it'd hold up now?
It reminded me of another one season show Fox had that I enjoyed called THE CREW.
It was about flight attendants at work and play. (Actually, the title Flying Blind is what
made me think of that series.)

How about
Many Happy Returns
Please Don't Eat The Daisies

Warner Archive was streaming some episodes of Please Don't Eat the Daisies. I watched a couple
and one of them had a tag sequence featuring April Dancer, The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. character!
I still haven't picked that one up.

mark-edk

Second Unit
How was Paper Moon? I remember the promos for it, but not how good it was? Any opinions?

James
I recall it being quite good. Jodie Foster's first big break I believe. Filmed out on location somewhere so no Hollywood locations pretending to be Iowa or whatever. I don't recall if it was sepia-toned or some sort of specially treated color photography but it definitely had a custom old-timey look to the visuals.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

From what little I remember of it, it seemed to be rather luke warm. Definitely toned down from the movie. Not a bad little period piece for TV but it wasn't exactly a stand out show either. It was on opposite the Waltons. That might have been some of the reason it failed to catch on. Like I said, I remember it as being just 'ok' and nothing all that special. I'd like to see it again with fresh more mature eyes (I was only eight when it was on, so ya know kid vision and all).

I do believe that it was shown in sepia tone.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Nice list, Dave...I have vague memories of some of these and others I missed entirely for various reasons...The Smith Family with Henry Fonda and Ronny Howard I have more solid memories of...O.K. Crackerby, Hizzoner and Ozzie's Girls less so...Time Express with Vincent Price was gone in the blink of an eye...would like to see all of them from your list...at least for the intriguing, ambitious (filmed in Europe for effective Cold War atmosphere) and pretty good Espionage show Man Who Never Was, (with the great Robert Lansing and beautiful Dana Wynter), we have the feature film compilation The Spy With the Perfect Cover on Youtube...

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The (five episode?) CASABLANCA series with David Soul was released on DVD by Olive in 2012. How about the series (10 episodes) from 1955, with Charles McGraw? They had one episode as an extra on the Casablanca movie DVD.

There were two compilation movies of THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS. The first compilation movie and the first episode are also up at youtube. It was called DANGER HAS TWO FACES and is out on DVD-R from the Fox Archive.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The (five episode?) CASABLANCA series with David Soul was released on DVD by Olive in 2012. How about the series (10 episodes) from 1955, with Charles McGraw? They had one episode as an extra on the Casablanca movie DVD.

There were two compilation movies of THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS. The first compilation movie and the first episode are also up at youtube. It was called DANGER HAS TWO FACES and is out on DVD-R from the Fox Archive.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know about any of those things. I have both MWNW movies, one from a 16mm print I transferred and the other I bought but it was black and white of color. Between those 2 movies, 9 of the 18 episodes are covered. I watched the other 9 at Library of Congress (they have all 18) a few years back. Not a bad show, at least once you get past the contrived premise.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Mentioned these before:

The Farmer's Daughter
Emergency plus 4
The Lost Saucer
Hyper Monkey Ninja Force (??? title)
Time Express
Chicago Teddy Bears
On the Rocks
Committed
Hot Properties
Manhunter (Ken Howard)
Dirty Sally
Governor and JJ
Old Curiosity Shop
Mulligan's Stew
Spy Game
Salvage 1

--James

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Baileys of Balboa
Hennessey
Channing
Tightrope
Camp Runamuck
Double Life of Henry Phyfe
Ok Crackerby
Accidental Family
Love On A Rooftop
Bob Crane Show
Supertrain
Paul Lynne Show
Sirotas Court
Alls Fair
Struck By Lightning
Open All Night
Mr. Merlin
Who's Watching the Kids
We Got It Made
Jennifer Slept,Here
The Devlin Connection
Strike Force
Today's FBI
Spencer
Filthy Rich
Sword of Justice
Hello Larry
Double Trouble
It's Your Move
Ladies Man
It Takes Two
Executive Suite
The Two of Us
The Little People
The Good Guys
Family Plots
The Waverly Wonderers
Crazy Like A Fox
AfterMASH
Harper Valley PTA
What about The girl with something extra and He and she.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The farmer's daughter
Nanny and the professor
Chico and the man
Hennesey
Midnight caller
Herman's head
Please don't eat the daisies
Kirk.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I might have listed a large number five years ago. Now that I've moved to smaller quarters and had to get rid of a number of lower tiered titles in my collection to save on storage there aren't many I'd list at this point. These are the only ones I'd still gladly get but are not likely to ever come out.

Sheena, Queen of The Jungle
-Any hopes of a remastering from the original sources and finding the 10 missing episodes pretty much died with Peter Greenwood. I'll have to make due with the 16 PD episodes from the Moviecraft sources (the best ones)

Operation Petticoat
-I have a soft spot for the first season of this which I watched at the time it aired and it had the great cast of John Astin, Richard Gilliland, Melinda Naud and the young Jamie Lee Curtis. I don't want to watch the short-lived second season with its different cast (though you could fit all of those episodes easily into a complete series set) but the first season with its pilot movie remake of the original 1959 movie would be a must.

Switch
-I never would have figured this to become a "lost" title due to the Universal fire since it had run extensively on TV Land for a bit. Would love to upgrade my boots.

Crazy Like A Fox
-My one 80s Grail (not counting a wish for a R1 release of "The Law And Harry McGraw" which I have the R4 release of).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks