What's new

Showroom TVs: Just wanted to comment... (1 Viewer)

MottK

Auditioning
I went with my dad to Fry's Electronics a few days ago and browsed their television section. My Dad has never liked the look of RPTV's but was amazed when we got to Fry's. The sets appeared to have been calibrated correctly!! We were amazed by all the sets, especially the HD sets! They all looked amazing, and colorful and crisp! After we headed to circuit city to look at Tv's. OH MY GOD! Why does everything but the 4k Sony xbr2 look like crap? None appeared to have been calibrated and all but about 3 were running on coax cables. EWW!

Heh thats just my little comment to those who are new to purchasing tv's like myself. Shop around and hopefully you will find a store with sets that are calibrated and running on good connections.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
That is very much an exception that you lucked into. Most stores are completely clueless on proper setup. Hell, the CCs of the world seem to have problems correctly setting their DVD players for 4x3 vs 16x9 mode (or they set to 16x9 regardless to make the bars smaller, thinking the resulting image distortion is an acceptable alternative). I was at one store where I changed the settings of a Toshiba RPTV to something more natural and pleasing, and as soon as the sales guy had the remote back he set it to Standard. His logic was that consumers preferred it that way.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Calling those rooms "showrooms" really is misleading. "Showroom" implies that everything is in top shape, ready to be demonstrated and displayed. They should just call them "storage rooms with TVs powered on".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks