"Showgirls" ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Temple, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

Does anyone think MGM/UA will ever release a SE of this 1995 film starring Elizabeth Berkley on DVD. Specifically, I would like an anamorphic transfer, a commentary track with Paul Verhoeven, Elizabeth Berkley, and Gina Gershon, and, (if they exist), any deleted scenes. Supposedly, there were two teaser trailers on MGM's 1996 LaserDisc. Those would also be nice to have. So, would you buy an SE of this film?

2. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Count me in.:b

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Who wouldn't want a SE of one of the greatest movies ever?!

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I would think most of the players in this film want to keep it in the rear-view mirror. For example in the commentary track for "Bound" Gershon conveniently arrives after her sex scene with Meg Tilly. So I couldn't see Elizabeth Berkely being too excited talking about her epileptic seasure pool sex scene.

Then again, didn't Verhoeven show up at the Razzies to pick up his award?

BTW: could this thread be any more nebulously titled?

5. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

If memory serves correctly, over a year ago DVDFile said that MGM was actually working on a Showgirls: SE. I wonder what has happened to it.

Gregory

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

7. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Seriously though, I think their might be a moderate amount of interest in an SE among film fans. Some of my favorite commentaries are from failed films especially when there is major talent behind them. Plus Showgirls has an important place in film history. It still really the only major NC-17 theatrical release plus it is part of the one two punch that sank the once mighty Carolco.
    On a side note I think someone should start a Showgirls quote thread in the movies forum. I'd do it myself but I don't want to be labeled the pervert.[​IMG] However if anyone else is brave enough I'll be glad to add a few. In the meantime I'll throw one in here. "I'm erect, why aren't you erect?"

8. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think MGM needs to SE Yahoo Serious' masterpiece, Mr. Accident first. [​IMG]

10. Bob Muir

Bob Muir Extra

"Good point. I think I've seen Showgirls in the $9.99 sale bins."

I picked it up for $8.99, and after watching it, I think I wasted a good $8.99 (not counting the time lost). :p

Couldn't the director tell from the first dailies that her acting was this bad???

11. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm a great fan of Paul Verhoven's films. If his somewhat lesser-known Dutch films can get anamorphic transfers and Paul's commentary, then why can't Showgirls? How can you have a Paul Verhoven collection without Showgirls? I'm not picking the current DVD up because I know Paul would do a commentary for it. His commentaries are all non-stop and he shows passion for his own films, unlike some people. His appearance at the Razzies shows that he wasn't ashamed of Showgirls, because he made a film that he set out to do. I'd buy a SE of Showgirls in a second. My pre-order finger is twitching.

12. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I actually think that Showgirls is an underrated film. I'm sure lots of people here will admit that the musical and dancing numbers are excellent, while the whole film has a sly satirical edge - something which most people don't even mention when commenting on the film so perhaps it goes over their heads. Or perhaps the fact that the girl (Nomi) is basically acquiring the (or perhaps more accurately - her) "American Dream" (fame and money) through "sex" is off-putting for the majority of American viewers?

I don't pretend the films shows reality - it's the same sort of 'hyper reality' of cliché - girl has dreams, girl get knocked down, girl triumphs in the end - that fits it's sly mocking humor.

Some of the acting is questionable I suppose, but this could be intentional (if so, it was the wrong decision).

Just don't take it seriously, and while watching it see how it comments on both the certain individuals and aspects of society as a whole(and I think it is even more relevent today).

I would be interested in an edition with commentary if not a fully fledged special edition, just to hear more about the screenplay's genesis and intention.

13. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I love Showgirls but even Verhoeven admits it didn't work. Besides the horrible screenplay the problem was finding an actress who could do the dance numbers and also would agree to all the nudity.

I think its a shame that people believed that because a film as bad as Showgirls couldn't succeed with that rating that none could. Perhaps if Boogie Nights had been NC-17 like PTA originally wanted than that could have opened the gates.

However I don't blame the studios to much. In today's litigious society I could see a parent suing a theater if they accidentally let a child into an nc-17 movie since none are allowed in.

I think the solution is to let under 17 into nc-17 films with a guardian and change the age restriction for R rated movie to 15.

14. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I can't wait to see if they will release a Showgirls: Box Set. :b
    (I'm such a pig...)

15. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Oh,and isn't the current DVD either cropped or unmatted at about 2.10:1?

16. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

I put Paul Verhoven in the same category as Russ Meyer, Ken Russel, and Roger Corman. Films that are pretty entetaining, usually not because they are trying to be. And I don't see anything wrong with that. They definitely fill a void that's out there (especially with all the lame cookie cutter action films that are flooding the market now).

Hell, I just spent $40 on e-bay to get the SE of the OOP "Lair of the White Worm" so I can hear the director's commentary. And boy, am I glad I did! I didn't think I could get the bigger kick out of LotWW, but I do now! After a couple of martinis, nothing is better than a really bad film, especially one with a really bad commentary.

I haven't seen Showgirls, but it's on my list of films to check out someday. If an SE is affordable, I'll give it a spin.

17. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I wouldn't object to an SE. I don't "love" the film, but I also don't vilify the way some do. To me, it was pretty much an average film with fair to lousy acting.

Bruce

18. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Screw Showgirls. Where the hell is the Howard the Duck special edition??????

19. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

20. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

As one of the poor unfortunate souls who actually saw this hilarious travesty in the theaters, the only thing better and funnier than the theatrical cut is, believe it or not, the television edit. If you want to see editing at its worst (and I'm not talking movie-studio-messing-with-the-artistic-vision-through-editing worst; I'm talking laugh out loud, Schwarzenegger in "Predator" Bull-ONEY worst), this is one to watch. The digital lingerie is worth at least watching for a few minutes to marvel at the absurdity of it all, and at least thirty minutes of the footage is missing. But, paraphrasing Peter in "Office Space", it's not like anyone is really missing it. [​IMG] If you ever see it advertised as being shown on VH1 (where I watched it), give it a look.