What's new

Shower Head Cleaning (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I've been trying to find an answer to this. Any one know of a way or of a product to clean a shower head really good so it actually sprays like when you 1st bought it?

I have a really nice Waterpix shower massage. I wish I could take it apart and really clean inside, but I don't see how it comes apart and I would hate to force it. It's a shower head that twists to change settings.

Thanks

Colton

Supporting Actor
Over time, calcium buildup plugs those little holes in your showerhead. What you need is a bottle of CLR. Pour it into a deep bowl with alittle water and stick your showerhead into it for a few hours (depending how much calcium is present) and CLR will dissolve it and restore your showerhead as if you bought it that day.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-953419reg.jpg

- Colton

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
What Colton said!

My showerhead is 10+ years old, and I clean it like this at least once a year, and it's still like new.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Use it full strength, do not dilute. It can be found almost anywhere. Even your local grocery stores should have it. It's a very common product. It works great.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Supposedly Kaboom works too.

And the "natural" remedy for removing deposits is white vinegar.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Just a word of caution, some cheaper plastics might not hold up well to extended contact with CLR. So you may want to keep an eye on your showerhead the first time you do it.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
The other thing to check is the little filter screw inside the part where it connects to the pipe. In our shower pic "snake" style showerhead, I unscrew and clean it with a toothbrush every few months. You'll see that some rocks and sand (at least in my area) build up in the filter and needs to be cleaned out occasionally.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I got a few bottles of this stuff tonight at Home Depot. I just wanted to ask again: Do I dilute it or use it full? The directions say to use it with water, but some of you said use it full strength. My shower head is pretty clogged.... so what shall I do?

I bought 2 smaller bottles that I'm gonna mix together because the bigger bottle of it was way more than I needed and too much money. :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It certainly won't hurt to try it diluted first. I've used it both ways in the past, but try a 50/50 mix first and see how it does. If it doesn't clean enough, you can try increasing the mix or using it full strength.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I soaked the thing last night, nearly full strength but it didnt seem to help. The spary is still not even and consistant like when I originally bought it. I keep wondering if I can take the showe head apart, but I dont see HOW it comes apart. I mean it has to someway, it was built afterall. I have a shower head where you turn the entire head to change settings, and then it has an inner ring to make the water softer harder.

This http://www.showermassage.com/product....do?prdNbr=834 is the one I have. Any ideas?

thanks for the help again.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Adam,

I have the same kind of showerhead. Keep using the CLR and try it full strength. It might take several applications before you'll see the desired results. You might also try laying the showerhead upright and pouring a small amount of CLR on to the holes. Dunking it into a bowl might be causing an air packet that isn't allowing the CLR to pass through the holes. Good luck!

- Colton

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
You might try pour the CLR through the neck of the shower head (The water entrance), and let it work it's way through the entire head. Let it sit for a couple hours and then flush the whole thing with some hot water.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Yeah I had been soaking it by dropping the wholehead into a long tall cylinder container, kinda of like a pitcher. But I hadnt been pouring any into the water entrance. So give it another try, full strength? Should I pour some into it AND soak it? Im guessing yes, especially since what I pour in will leak out anyway.

One of you said you have the same head? How does yours work now?

Colton

Supporting Actor
Works great. The showerhead came with the house we bought and it was clogged with calcium buildup. One application of CLR and it was right as rain.

- Colton

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Is yours the 10 setting one? (Well 5 x 2 for weak and strong flow anyway)

Is there anyway to open it up? I will try the CLR again and hope for the best... but I want it like it was when I bought it. The inner really concentrated spray is really bad, it doesnt make a cone at all anymore, just flows straight out, painfully and forcefully.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I am still having this problem and am wondering if my shower head is too far gone to ever operate the way I did when I first had it.

To you above who had my same shower head: The center setting, that does a pretty forceful cone, for me now does a straight very powerful spray. It looks and feels awful. The champainge setting is also no longer consistant and the force is very weak.

Should I KEEP trying CLR? Should I soak it with the shower head turned to each setting? I also still wish I could find a way to take it apart. Don't suppose anyone knows how?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
You can also use a stiff brush, e.g. a toothbrush, from the showerhead side. Since the water normally flows through from the other side, the deposits are structurally weak toward this kind of force. Poking a sewing needle into the holes will also help loosen things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks