Showdown: DA3ES vs. 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nestor_Ramos, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

Ok, considering these two receivers can be had for almost exactly the same price ($1000 at Crutchfield; either can be had for $700 elsewhere), and considering as well that their strengths lie in different areas, I'm having a hard time deciding on one or the other.

Here's the rundown, including only the features that the other does NOT have. Caveats: I have a Pronto and thus don't care about the remotes; I don't care about the 10 extra watts/channel the Denon has; I prefer the aesthetics of the Denon; I don't care about video switching.

In favor of the Denon:

-Full 7.1 (I think)

-DTS-ES matrix and discrete

-DPLII

In favor of the Sony:

-Fantastic Bass Management

-dual multichannel analog inputs (This is a biggie, as I have DVD-A and SACD players)

So, any mitigating factors I should know about? I know some people don't care for the Sony, but the only real reason I could find was that incomprehensible S-Video problem, which I couldn't care less about. I'm leaning slightly toward the Sony, but only VERY slightly. Help me make up my mind.

And please, for the love of God, don't suggest any other brands or models...it was hard enough getting it narrowed down to these two!

Thanks

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

If you planning to buy power amps down on the road,then I would get the Sony,as it is better equiped as a pre/pro then the Denon.However the Denon has better amps IMO.

The Sony has dual 6ch input,but does it have bass manegment on it to,or just a pass through? If yes,then the Sony is a clear winner in my book,but if it doesn't then I would say the Denon is for movies the Sony is for music.YMMV.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Just to screw up your whole search= 5es can be had for $900.[​IMG]

4. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

I went with the Sony. Got it cheap at a Good Guys that was closing down. I'm very happy with it so far (upgraded from HK AVR500). The amps seem surprisingly good, and, though it doesn't have DTS ES, it automatically recognizes the back surround channel when the program source has been encoded with it(Gladiator, JP3) and decodes it with its own technology, which I'm sure is nearly identical to DTS ES. If you're considering this receiver but aren't sure because it supposedly lacks those formats, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My guess is you'll never know the difference. The receiver also does a credible job of extracting a matrixed back surround chanel out of 5.1 material, if you want it to.

The remote is fairly crappy, but I have a pronto anyway. The remote for the 5ES is a big step up, I think, so if you care about that, get the 5ES. If you MUST have 7.1 instead of 6.1 (why?) go with the Denon. IMHO, there's no point getting the Denon just for DTS ES Matrix and Discrete and DPL2, but you might be crazy about DPL2 - there's no accounting for taste. Anyway, after a lot of reading and auditioning, I decided the Sony was actually a better value than the Denon even though I started off my search really wanting to like the Denon.

I didn't look into Yamaha because I think they are ugly and their model numbers are too confusing, but if you can get the 3ES for under $700, I think it's tough to beat.

5. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Nestor,

I think you chose very wisely.

Enjoy.