JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I really like that second shot, @JohnRice .
I do too, but the color one is proving to be far more popular.

BTW, that TTArtisan 11mm f/2.8 fisheye is really outstanding. Excellent (though not perfect) edge sharpness for a fisheye. It also plays well with infrared, up to f/5.6, but at f/4 you have depth of field from 3' to infinity anyway. It's mirrorless only, and completely manual/preset aperture. And it's cheap.

In fact, KEH has it new for $215 in Canon and Leica mounts, but no Nikon. They also have a 5% coupon if anyone's interested.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is Duke, my new living companion. When my parents moved into assisted living, they had two cats, and we decided to only take one of them over there, and I'd take the second one.

He's been in the house for about 22 hours and has already found some great cat places, such as this one.

It's nice to have a cat again, for the first time in about ten years.

_NZ70431.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Went to a Sunday afternoon, all-Beethoven string quartet concert (of the Dover Quartet) in midtown Manhattan (near Bryant Park) yesterday. Awesome concert w/ some of my fave chamber music, including the Beethoven Op 131 in C# minor -- if a fan of Band of Brothers, one would recognize the 6th movement, which was featured in the episode where they first discovered concentration camps.

Since it was such a beautiful day out around here yesterday, I hung around Bryant Park for a little while. Didn't have a "real" camera w/ me, but did take a couple anyway w/ my iPhone...

Nothing special here, but just a wide view I enjoyed in the park...

C8BA5BF3-AA07-4E1C-9EE1-FA3121393966.jpeg

This one should be a bit more interesting...

450660F7-AB1B-4C11-8AEE-B8D9BCB2E2C9.jpeg

... although I originally intended it to be this before deciding to just crop it...

4FB609CB-6F63-45C6-B7E9-D22B8E5160E4.jpeg

Yeah, if I actually had a "real" camera w/ me, I woulda (re)shot that w/out so much cropping, but my iPhone 13 Pro can really only do either this (in regular wideangle) or 3x zoom, which would be too tight -- yeah, I could certainly go w/ an in-between digital zoom setting, but that likely wouldn't really be any better than just cropping (from the RAW capture), hehheh...

Cheers!

_Man_

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Went to a Sunday afternoon, all-Beethoven string quartet concert (of the Dover Quartet) in midtown Manhattan (near Bryant Park) yesterday. Awesome concert w/ some of my fave chamber music, including the Beethoven Op 131 in C# minor -- if a fan of Band of Brothers, one would recognize the 6th movement, which was featured in the episode where they first discovered concentration camps.

Since it was such a beautiful day out around here yesterday, I hung around Bryant Park for a little while. Didn't have a "real" camera w/ me, but did take a couple anyway w/ my iPhone...

Nothing special here, but just a wide view I enjoyed in the park...

View attachment 179951

This one should be a bit more interesting...

View attachment 179962

... although I originally intended it to be this before deciding to just crop it...

View attachment 179963

Yeah, if I actually had a "real" camera w/ me, I woulda (re)shot that w/out so much cropping, but my iPhone 13 Pro can really only do either this (in regular wideangle) or 3x zoom, which would be too tight -- yeah, I could certainly go w/ an in-between digital zoom setting, but that likely wouldn't really be any better than just cropping (from the RAW capture), hehheh...

Cheers!

_Man_
Beethoven's 6th Symphony is probably my all-time favorite piece of music.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A couple more photos of my father's HO gauge railroad layout. It's getting closer to when it all has to be torn down, so I'm trying to get it recorded the best I can. For some scale, those cars are about 1" long, front to back.

I took a different approach with these. They were shot using a 16mm, f/90 pinhole lens.

_NZ70567-1200.jpg

_NZ70635-1200.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a few more I shot with conventional lenses the other day. I stepped up the approach, because the Nikkor Z 14-30mm lens that's the most useful for this doesn't focus quite as close as I need, even though it can focus incredibly close. So I got a set of close-up filters for it and now I can shoot any way I want.

I want to add that mirrorless cameras are absolutely ideal for this type of subject. First, you have great live view, since that's the way mirrorless cameras work anyway. I mean, there is absolutely no way to look through a viewfinder with this stuff. Plus, electronic shutter essentially eliminates any camera vibration, which I make a point to use with these. Yes, you can lock up the mirror on a DSLR, but you still have a mechanical shutter, which can't be avoided with them. So, I use the lowest ISO, which is 64 on the Z7ii, and have a long exposure. On the pinhole shots, I went ahead and cranked it up to 800 because the exposure would have been over a minute.

These are all focus stacked, BTW. Not the pinhole ones, of course.

_NZ70511-23crop1200.jpg

_NZ70550-54-1200.jpg

_NZ70569-81-1200.jpg

_NZ70583-90-1200.jpg

_NZ70640-55-1200.jpg

_NZ70657-68-1200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks