What's new

Show Off Your Pics (1 Viewer)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I would not want to be whatever or whoever it is eyeballing.

I like how the tiger is nicely balanced with the vegetation to the right.
Thanks. He started at the waters edge then started walking towards us. We were about 35 yards away, outside adobe wall and the other side of the water.

This next backyard shot is thru my family room window, ... a sunrise, behind some thin clouds on Dec. 21, 2020 7:41 am.

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 149

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks. He started at the waters edge then started walking towards us. We were about 35 yards away, outside adobe wall and the other side of the water.

This next backyard shot is thru my family room window, ... a sunrise, behind some thin clouds on Dec. 21, 2020 7:41 am.
Is that a bannister at the bottom. I would crop that out. I like the simplicity of the photo. The colors are kinda strange for a sunrise.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Is that a bannister at the bottom. I would crop that out. I like the simplicity of the photo. The colors are kinda strange for a sunrise.
No bannister, it's shot thru the center of my 2' x 4' window using a tri-pod.

The clouds were moving east slowly and the sun would disappear behind the clouds, then barely reappear (this picture), to blindingly bright.

I agree the colors are strange, I just left it on Auto and took several shots letting the camera adjust the F-Stop, Shutter Speed, etc.

F/7.1
1/1250
91.18mm
ISO 160

Last edited:

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Backyard again, unusual colorful sunset, 1st time seen since we bought the house (1974) and never seen again since this photo taken on Dec. 1, 2010 - 6:58pm. The camera back then was the Canon PowerShot SX130 IS.

Attachments

• 16x9 008.jpg
    16x9 008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Phil Iturralde I have just realized that the bottom of the pic which I interpreted to be a bannister, is just an area not part of the picture. Never mind. Did those strange colors in the first pic represent reality?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Did those strange colors in the first pic represent reality?
From what I remember, it was just bright as the sun emerged from behind a thick cloud, so the camera interpreted the colors you see, probably the result of the Shutter Speed @ 1/1250.

Here's the 2nd shot a few seconds later, ...

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 143

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Do you know what the white balance was set to? That would affect the color more than the shutter speed (which I understand would usually have no effect on the color).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you know what the white balance was set to? That would affect the color more than the shutter speed (which I understand would usually have no effect on the color).
Shutter speed has no effect on color, except for the intensity or darkness of it. White balance definitely influences colors.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Well, in that case, the White Balance = Auto

Attachments

• Info #01.jpg
    Info #01.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 133
  • Info #02.jpg
    Info #02.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 142
  • Info #03.jpg
    Info #03.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 135

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Kilauea Point Lighthouse (Kauai), 10:06am, Aug. 28, 2014 View attachment 86659

I took a similar photo when we were there in 2010. We had an enlargement hanging in our family room until we recently remodeled and we switched up the photos on the walls. Looking at the photo now, it could stand to be re-processed with the more modern software I'm using now -- that horizon shows the distortion from the wide angle lens I used. DxO PhotoLab can correct that easily.

i-bMdSHZk-X3.jpg

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
More photos from our 2012 vacation in Kauai.

Opaekaa Falls 4-22-12 (Seen in movies: "Blue Hawaii", "The Wackiest Ship in the Army")
Opaekaa_Falls_4-22-12.jpg

Viiew from Hanalei Bay 4-25-12
View from Hanalei Bay 4-25-12.jpg

Anahola Bay 4-25-12
Anahola Bay Kauai_4-25-12.JPG

Kalalau Outlook 4-31-12 (Kalalau Valley: "King Kong", "Mighty Joe Young")
Kalalau Outlook Kauai_4-30-12.JPG

Waimea Canyon 4-30-12 (Seen or illustrated in Movies: "Donovan’s Reef", "Honeymoon in Vegas", "Lilo & Stitch")
Waimea Canyon Kauai_4-30-12a.JPG

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We definitely hit many of the same spots in Kauai, @Phil Iturralde . Here are a couple. FYI, we spent five days on that island, and five days on Hawaii that trip. The Big Island is our favorite of those we have visited (we've been to Oahu and Maui, too, during our three trips there). We had originally planned to go back this winter and visit Molokai, but COVID19 prevented that. Hopefully in the next couple of years...

i-DhdGBDr-X3.jpg

i-kTpwCZr-X3.jpg

This is probably my favorite shot from our visit to Kauai. My wife and I love to whale watch, and this is the first time I ever was able to capture one breaching.

i-9mmDjMH-X3.jpg

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
This is probably my favorite shot from our visit to Kauai. My wife and I love to whale watch, and this is the first time I ever was able to capture one breaching.

That's a fantastic shot! @Scott Merryfield We never saw a whale breach the 1 time we went out to whale watch. We did see this little guy (about a foot long) when we were hiking back from the Monoa Falls trail (Oahu) back in 2008.

Feb. 2008 - Canon PowerShot A550

Manoa Falls Trail Hawaii Feb 20-21, 2008 138.jpg

Our first visit was our 7-day Honeymoon in Hawaii, 4 days in Oahu and then 3 days in Kauai back in 1971. Our next visit to Hawaii, Oahu would be 33 years later in 2004 with a bunch of friends. Then we went back 2005 to Oahu.

We like it so much that we went back to Oahu in 2008 and also added the Big Island on the itinerary. At the time, the 2008 Kīlauea summit eruption started and for everyone’s safety, the National Volcano Park was closed. So we decided to fly (Big Island by Air Tour) around the Big Island which included over the National Volcano Park - couple of highlights from the plane, …

Feb. 2008 - Canon PowerShot A550

Hawaii Feb 25-26, 2008 116.jpg

Hawaii Feb 25-26, 2008 144.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks