Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No commentary, just a photo.

...but I might not have enough bourbon.

_FER6049_50_51_Enhancer.jpg

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I've never put any of my photos on a public forum before except a few vacation photos on my facebook page.
A few years ago I visited Lone Pine in California, which many of you know is a fantastic place where many westerns were photographed. Also known as the Alabama Hills with a magnificent backdrop of the Sierra Madre mountains.
It is virtually impossible to take a bad photo in this location.
I took many pictures and to start I have put one up here. Glad to put up more if requested:
LonePine08 077.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Playing with the new "Deep Prime" noise reduction feature in DxO PhotoLab 4. It does a great job of cleaning up noise. This is a night shot of the beach club on the grounds of our South Carolina condo complex, taken a couple of weeks ago. I used my Canon EOS R set at ISO 6400.

MK6A0474-X3.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I mentioned in the "mirrorless" thread that I recently took some head shots for Peg. She's got a new book coming out this fall and the publisher asked for a recent head shot (and I got the job!). :D

So here it is. Let me know what you think. Be brutal if you've got criticisms. I need to learn.

For those who might want to know. I'm using a Canon 80D. My lens was a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II.

full

Here's another shot from that day which I kinda liked.

full

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I mentioned in the "mirrorless" thread that I recently took some head shots for Peg. She's got a new book coming out this fall and the publisher asked for a recent head shot (and I got the job!). :D

So here it is. Let me know what you think. Be brutal if you've got criticisms. I need to learn.

For those who might want to know. I'm using a Canon 80D. My lens was a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II.

full

Here's another shot from that day which I kinda liked.

full

Hey, Mike. These are nice... though if you want professional looking, traditional headshots, probably want the background to be soft/blurred (whether via background material and/or shallow-ish DoF) so as not to distract from the subject at all and the final result also cropped accordingly.

The shooting distance looks probably about right w/ that APS cropped 50mm focal length -- would probably be too close if you had filled the frame for typical headshot instead of cropping some more (from what you now have) in post.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To add to Man's comments, the second shot would be perfect if the fence wasn't there. See how much separation there would be between the subjects and the background, and it's blurred.

My main objection ot the first one is you're looking down too much. The POV is too high.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't mind the higher angle, but agree that more isolation and separation from the backgrounds would make for stronger images. I also get distracted by subjects' eye lines, so the dog on the left looking off camera moves my eye out of the frame when it should be focused on the image.

Just to illustrate the point, compare the original crop with one that just includes your wife and the dog on the right, and you should find it makes a more engaging image. Of course, there are other considerations for this type of shot, like not excluding a member of the family just because they aren't looking at the camera, so sometimes you have to compromise on the aesthetics (kind of one of the reasons I don't really like shooting group photos, but see them as a "necessary evil").

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Full moon (Dec. 29, 2020) backyard photo using a Canon SX700HS camera @ 39x on tripod, Mountain View, CA.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 2020 Dec. 29 Full Moon camera details.jpg
    2020 Dec. 29 Full Moon camera details.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 69

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've never put any of my photos on a public forum before except a few vacation photos on my facebook page.
A few years ago I visited Lone Pine in California, which many of you know is a fantastic place where many westerns were photographed. Also known as the Alabama Hills with a magnificent backdrop of the Sierra Madre mountains.
It is virtually impossible to take a bad photo in this location.
I took many pictures and to start I have put one up here. Glad to put up more if requested:
View attachment 81794
Tremors was also shot in Lone Pine.
Opening scene of TARANTULA was shot here:
(Dead Man's Cove).
View attachment 81795
A favorite movie of mine. I’d love to visit the area someday. Was the avalanche shot near this location?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would not want to be whatever or whoever it is eyeballing.

I like how the tiger is nicely balanced with the vegetation to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks