What's new

Show Off Your Pics (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I take it that's the Sigma 150mm macro? In my experience, with most pics you won't see a difference between RGB and sRGB, unless there's some really saturated red, orange, pink or maybe green. I still ALWAYS shoot Adobe RGB.

BTW

You suck. ;-)

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah, maybe check that you didn't designate a card for RAW that wasn't in the camera. Just a guess. The D500 has some logic weirdness that way. If I set it in the shooting setup to save RAW to XQD and JPG to SD, it saves a JPG even when I select RAW only on the top display. It's kind of stupid that it works that way.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The first two shots show fine details, Sam. It looks like that camera has a decent jpeg processing engine, although it sounds like you will not be using that feature much. I don't shoot jpeg, either. I have both my Canon bodies setup with the secondary SD card just to be used as overflow in case the primary compact flash card fills up. While saving RAW to the CF card and jpeg to the SD card makes sense from a redundancy standpoint, I have not experienced a CF card failure since I bought my first dSLR. Shooting RAW+jpeg slows the camera down a little, so I just keep the SD card installed in case I run out of storage and do not have a spare CF card handy -- although that hasn't happened to me yet, either, and probably never will with these 64GB cards.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, the only reason I've used RAW + JPG is because a friend runs a non-profit and I sometimes do photography for them. The photos are mostly used online. So, I use a small SD card and save medium resolution JPGs to it and give them the card when I'm done. I save the RAW to the main card and keep those in case they need something larger or need adjustments.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Handheld, 105VR Nikkor, not sigma. I'm, uh, not exactly sure where my 150 siggy is right now... It was mostly a test shot to make sure I had things set right. The light was terrible and I was in a rush. Obviously the raw settings are dorked up.

On the Adobe vs sRGB I've had frustrations with Flickr botching it in the past, these seem identical to me. Keep in mind I am multiple kinds of color deficient tho!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure there's a perfect approach to color, but here's the process I've settled on.

I always shoot AdobeRGB RAW. I process everything this way and it stays AdobeRGB until the very end. If I'm posting a final image online, then the last step is to convert it to sRGB (Edit>Convert to Profile in Photoshop on Mac) before saving for web. You can have it converted in the save for web step, but you don't get to really see how it changes the photo. Often there is no noticeable change, but sometimes it's significant. I'm not sure there's anything you can do when there's a big change. Your photo has colors that just aren't in the sRGB gamut, but you at least get to see it and do whatever you can about it.

After that, some online forums recompress the image when you upload it and it changes.

Also, I do all my Photoshop on a calibrated, 100% AdobeRGB monitor and it can just show images differently from a regular (sRGB) one. So a lot of the time I look at images on my other (sRGB) monitor after I post them, just to see how they look to others.

I shoot AdobeRGB in case I want a good print made. You can easily go from AdobeRGB to sRGB but not the other way around.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do any of you have recommendations for online places to get good, but reasonably priced paper and canvas gicleés made? We have a good local place, but it's a little pricey.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've only done Costco. but have been pretty pleased with the results. I'd like to know of alternatives though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I decided to get REALLY close to some bees. This guy actually looks like he's posing for me. Believe it or not, this isn't cropped at all. 100% full frame.

_DSC4829-1.2k.jpg

Also, a neighbor's daughter plays for the local soccer league (Arsenal) and I went out today to shoot a match. I think this is the first time I've shot sports in over 30 years. Like riding a bicycle, but the D500 helps too.

_DSC4667-crop.jpg

I call this one... wait for it... wait for it...

_DSC4607-crop-1.2k.jpg

"Not quite ready to sacrifice for the team."

_DSC4608-crop-1.2k.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope you guys don't mind, but I have a basic, elementary question.

As you can see from the images in my last post, I was sometimes challenged during this trip by a real mix of shade and bright sun. Sometimes it was a matter of bright sunshine breaking through the trees in a very shady wooded area. Other times it was a bright background (open landscape) located behind my subjects in a shady area.

What's the best way to handle that kind of situation?

full

full

full

I should probably start another thread with these types of questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks