What's new

Show of hands - who sees the DLP rainbow effect? (1 Viewer)

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
thats funny evan...reminds me of a girl i used to date...i didn't notice that she used to constantly raise her eyebrows up and down when she spoke to you...then a buddy pointed it out to me...lol...i started to count how many times her eyebrows lifted...ruined the mood...it was over...so forget the explanation of rainbows...i don't see them and don't care to..glad i'm not the only one...thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I do see the rainbow effect on occasion with my Samsung when a scene is really bright, but hits a dark object and my eyes flicker from one side to the other.

I suspect that people sometimes sit too-close to a screen so their eyes have to flicker across the screen and this makes the problem more frequent.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Evan,
thanks for the info on Goo Screen, I looked into it and found a place in NY that carries it called MarketTek, looks like i'll have to place an order for some. :emoji_thumbsup:

As for the rainbow effect, when my friend had his Infocus X1, I could easily see the rainbow's when I shifted my eyes from side to side. However when I got my X1 and calibrated it using AVIA, I never see it.

I suppose this may have to do with the fact that my white level and black level are both correctly calibrated and the unwanted effect is diminished to almost nothing. Just FYI, my screen is a DIY 96" 16x9 and I sit approx 14-15 feet from it.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I see rainbows on both my X1 and Toshiba DLP rptv. I see them so rarely that they don't bother me. I actually used to use a neutral density filter with my X1 until one day I just didn't need it anymore. I have had countless people over to watch movies who aren't "in the know" and none of them have ever mentioned it. YMMV, but my X1 is much worse for rainbows than my rptv. Its virtually impossible to see them on my Toshiba.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Evan

I am a big supporter of Goo and have used it to set up several screens for myself and friends. It is well worth renting a good sprayer to apply the paint. While I have had very good results rolling it there is a big improvemnt when sprayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks