Shove me in the right direction PLEASE

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John*DB, Aug 6, 2004.

1. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

Okay, a couple years ago, I was real close to picking up some Energy speakers. Then the JBL northridge system was the new "in thing" to have. (at the low end for BIG audiophiles I know)

Well, I am now in a position (and house) to finally get a good receiver and speakers.

Are the Northridge still the way to go? For the price, size, and quality is there something better out there now?

I do not want to spend over $400-$500 for speakers and want small as possible but kick@$$ sound.

My room will be approximately 14 X 16. I just bought an InFocus projector.

Primary use will be for DVDs, and occasional games and sporting events.

THANK YOU so much for any input you might have.

John

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The Northridge Series of a couple years ago has been replaced by the Northridge "E" Series. As far as I know they are still a good way to go.

3. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

what would be a good price for a 5.1 northridge "E" series system?

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I think the prices are relatively the same as they were for the Studio Series, so if you go with the E30s (similar to the JBL S26) you're looking at around 150.00 a pair. Center channel's are around 150.00 as well. For a sub you might want to explore other brands besides JBL (the Dayton from Parts Express is popular or for the ultimate, an SVS). If I understand things correctly, JBL basically folded the Northridge and Studio Series together, creating the Northridge "E" Series. Supposedly there is a new line of Studio Series on the way but I haven't seen or heard anything lately.

Usual places to check for good JBL deals are jandr.com, onecall.com and bhphotovideo.com. The first and third usually have free shipping on the JBLs. You can also check bestpriceaudiovideo.com. And you can always try eBay for refurb auctions from the Harman Audio Outlet.

5. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee