1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Shout TV Programs?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamesSmith, Jun 7, 2016.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Dear Guys,
    With the announcement of Newhart season 6 coming out on DVD from Shout, what other series started by Shout aren't finished yet?
    There's NYPD Blues
    LA Law
    St. Elsewhere
    Rhonda

did they finish Different Strokes?

James

2. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    I wish Shout would finish Mr. Belvedere. If they do, they better include the REAL original Pilot as a special feature. The one on the Seasons One & Two DVD is NOT the original Pilot. The original Pilot is the one Antenna TV airs.

Flashgear and Kirk76 like this.
  3. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    They stalled Marcus Welby, Room 222, Ironside, Police Story, Diffrent Strokes, and Fantasy Island in addition to the ones you named.

4. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Add The Rookies to the above list of shows that Shout didn't finish. This includes the Season 3 backdoor pilot for S.W.A.T.

At least the remaining seasons of Ironside are available in Region 4 for those who choose to go that route. (I did, and I'm glad to have those last 4 seasons; better than nothing.)

Also, the cable network Apprise recently started airing Room 222. While they're syndicated/cut versions, recording them will likely be the only chance to get episodes from those last 3 unreleased seasons.

Randy Korstick and Flashgear like this.
  5. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I don't think Shout released any of St. Elsewhere. There was just the Fox release.

They are in the middle of Lou Grant, just starting The Defenders, and just finishing Sisters.

All the other ones named above seem to be stalled for the foreseeable future, apart from NYPD Blue and Newhart, which should both finish shortly.

6. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    And Jack P is (understandably) furious over what Shout did to The Rookies. Because they clearly promised that they would include the original Pilot for that series, but they never did.

And if anyone wants uncut Room 222, without relying on the Shout DVDs, go look for them on eBay in the form of 16mm film.

Dave Lawrence likes this.
  7. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I agree. While it's not impossible, I think it's unlikely that Shout will ever go back to those shows which have been stalled for 2 years or longer.

8. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

I think Diff'rent Strokes has a better chance with a complete series set through Mill Creek (a la Mad About You) at this point.

9. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    I didn't mention it with the others cause it already gets a lot of mention in this forum but they also stalled Peyton Place

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

They have stalled half as many shows as they have completed which always makes me scratch my head when people wish that Shout would release a TV show they want.

Jack P likes this.
  11. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Shout also stalled Police Woman.

JayHink likes this.
  12. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Here is my overview of the stalled shows of Shout that have always left me with a bad taste in my mouth about the company (in order of importance to me)

#1-Ironside. This title was jerked around completely by Shout. More than once there were broken promises made in their forum about this title, first to continue with S3 as a regular release and then after the Select program (whatever happened to that??) got us S3 and S4 and the end of the Barbara Anderson era, we saw reports that S5 and S6 were going to be done. Then after a long delay a Shout rep says they never had the rights to any seasons beyond S4 meaning the other rep was telling lies on their own board for the better part of a couple years.

#2-Marcus Welby, MD. I can understand the reason why all of the series is not on DVD because of the sales issues. But my one complaint is that they didn't at least try to give it one more chance through the vaunted "Select" program so if we'd gotten to at least S3 on this then I'd be less critical of them.

#3-Fantasy Island. The stalling of this one (in conjunction with CBS's stalling of "Love Boat") remains the most unsatisfying aspect of abandoned 70s TV for me.

#4-The Rookies. As noted above, no pilot (which was promised) = no sale.

"Police Woman" and "Police Story" were never priority titles with me though I would have welcomed seeing more.

13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Did they ever finish My Two Dads?

14. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    Nope

15. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I hope The Defenders: Season One sells well enough for Shout! to release the remaining three seasons.

16. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    In fairness to Shout, they seem to have changed their acquisition and release policies over the years. Looking at those stalled shows, they all seem to have been released a number of years ago. The shows that they have licensed in the last few years have pretty much all been completed or are continuing.

JayHink and Darby67 like this.
  17. texboil

texboil Stunt Coordinator

Jeff Robbins
    Well, Shout never finished SCTV, either. But the fact that no one mentioned it tells me that people aren't looking for it.

18. ChrisALM

Chris
    I think Sony released S1 and I thought Shout licensed S2 from Sony when they released it. So Shout never licensed S3 and S4 from Sony?

19. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I think Shout! licensed S2 from Sony and when it didn't sell the way they had hoped, they didn't bother with the last two seasons. They probably licensed one season at a time to test the market.

I'm sure it is the same situation with other Sony shows they licensed, like Police Story, The Rookies, and Fantasy Island. They will have to go back to Sony to license further seasons.

It's a real shame, because I would have been in for all the seasons of those shows.

20. ChrisALM

Chris
    I was surprised they didn't complete Police Woman and The Rookies - there weren't that many seasons. I guess it just wasn't financially working out for them.