Press Release Shout Select Press Release: Going My Way (1944) (Blu-ray)

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
The scant presence of reviews for this BD of “Going My Way” struck me as a bad sign of an underwhelming transfer at hand. I’d buy it for $15.00; as it’s all we’ve got;, but it’s still hanging out at the 25 buck range. Seems steep; especially in juxtaposition to Olive’s nearly same priced and superior 4K scan of “The Bell’s of St. Mary’s”

For those who own it, please jump in and share your PQ assessments of this BD of “Going My Way”. Also, is there any information concerning the surviving elements?

Thanks.
I have it. According to the reviews I've read, it's the same master as the DVD. I pre-ordered it; otherwise I may not have bought it. Still, It looks fine to me, very filmic, cleaner with really nice and I thought much better contrast than the DVD. Where it suffers a bit is in the registration on some darker scenes in the church at night where the background information gets a bit murky so you can tell it's an older master. But it looks completely organic, and while a bit softer than these 4k things that are coming down the pike, I thought the sharpness and clarity was excellent. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. But I wouldn't spend $25 on it--the extras are nothing much, mostly brief filler--unless you absolutely have to own it on Blu-Ray.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I have it. According to the reviews I've read, it's the same master as the DVD. I pre-ordered it; otherwise I may not have bought it. Still, It looks fine to me, very filmic, cleaner with really nice and I thought much better contrast than the DVD. Where it suffers a bit is in the registration on some darker scenes in the church at night where the background information gets a bit murky so you can tell it's an older master. But it looks completely organic, and while a bit softer than these 4k things that are coming down the pike, I thought the sharpness and clarity was excellent. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. But I wouldn't spend $25 on it--the extras are nothing much, mostly brief filler--unless you absolutely have to own it on Blu-Ray.
Yup, my gut was screaming that Shout’s BD of “Going My Way” is a 15 bucker at best. $25 and up demands the presence of a brand-new scan.

Thanks to lark144 for your input.

Last edited:

ScottHM

Premium
Real Name
Scott
Still, It looks fine to me, very filmic, cleaner with really nice and I thought much better contrast than the DVD...., I thought the sharpness and clarity was excellent. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.
My thoughts exactly.

---------------

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The scant presence of reviews for this BD of “Going My Way” struck me as a bad sign of an underwhelming transfer at hand.
I think Shout Factory's promo budget has taken a big hit over the last few years.

They used to send me review copies of a bunch of titles, but I hardly get anything from them now, and I doubt I'm the only one who's lost support that I had in the recent past!

• Insightful

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybernz