1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Shout! Factory's article on how to detect a bootleg release...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by classicmovieguy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The good part about that process is *Amazon* is the one who ultimately "makes good" on such orders. If there's a issue of *any type* Amazon will issue the refund and process the return. No hassle from a 3rd party about return shipping costs or product issues due to incorrect/improper listings. I take that route any time there's a "Fulfilled by Amazon" item at a price I like.

2. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    Ah interesting I never knew that. I rarely buy from third party sellers anyway. Thanks.

3. Message #23 of 77 Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Pathfiner

Pathfiner Second Unit

Jeff
    you can always tell the difference anyway

if it's a illegal to be frowned upon 'bootleg' - it's a show you really wanted out on DVD and the picture quality is o.k. at least 'watchable', and you can often find ALL the episodes

where as with an 'official' release - it is either of a show you're not that bothered about of if not then there's a problem with the entire batch re 'fuzzy' substandard picture quality, episodes are edited down, or it is missing any songs or it has quite awful 'replaced' totally inappropriate music...and the show's release stalls, often at season one, or with one final season left outstanding...for years !

of course decent complete 'official' releases are what we all want - which would then put the bootleggers OUT of business !

Regulus likes this.
  4. Message #24 of 77 Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Oh no.. i bought Maude cheap off ebay! God got me for that! :( will check the discs later and see. definitely will trash that and rebuy. This happened with Dark Shadows off ebay years back. That set looked like the right thing but it had Barnabas Rollins and not Collins. :p joking, but the new wore off so fast on it when the packaging began to fall apart. Lucky got refund and I'm enjoying the real deal passed 500 episodes with only one that had some odd digital squares for a few second but played fine after. The visual difference was noticable and I was noticing Maude didn't look as good as hoped. It looked compressed. :(

5. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    About a year before Batman FINALLY got its official release Ronald Epstein comment about bootlegs (In particular those sets people would like to buy but the studios refuse to release saying;
    "The bootleg market is booming...this is what eventually happens when a product is held up by red tape and withheld from consumers".

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Besides putting the discs in your computer to confirm single or dual layer, wouldn't the obvious "tell" of a bootleg be if the recording surface is "blue" rather than "clear", or are some of the bootleggers actually going to the trouble of pressing discs (albeit on single layer) rather than using the tell-tale burnt discs?

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I've come across both types in researching bootlegs/pirated versions.

8. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

The outer cardboard box that holds my Facts of Life complete series is splitting at the seams! When I first got it, I thought it was sturdy but now its starting to fall apart at the bottom. I wondered if it might be a bootleg, so I checked the discs in my computer hard drive and they are over 6 GB so I'm pretty sure it's legit. It came with the booklet, and the cases are the clear kind (so you can see the reverse side of the insert art). Just the box is poorly made. Anyone else have this problem? You might want to check it out if you haven't pulled it out lately.

9. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

With Amazon-fulfillment, buyers who have Prime can also get free two-day shipping, so many Prime members (like me) will prefer to buy from third-party sellers with that arrangement. Also, if there's a problem you can deal with Amazon directly rather than having to fight with the seller.

10. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I don't suspect that many pirates would go to the expense of using dual layered DVDs (They are expensive!), although I suppose that anything is possible.

As for the poorly made box for your THE FACTS OF LIFE series set, that seems to be pretty commonplace in legit video releases. Some companies have used really dumb non storage friendly designs over the years!

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    "5. Poor Video and Audio Quality"

There are times when this applied to the legitimate releases.

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I agree in a general sense that the above isn't a 100% reliable gauge in determining legitimacy, at least not without cross referencing via Reviews, Forums and Message Boards, the results of which may vary. The terminology is too subjective, for starters!

13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    CBS being the worst, especially on MacGyver, The Brady Bunch, and Hogan's Heroes (all three of those got better-designed condensed releases later, though).

14. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    The difference in price is almost nothing. I doubt that a pirate would go to the trouble of re-encoding to save a few pennies.

15. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Sadly, not where I live--If only! We pay through the bloody nose for dual layered DVD-Rs! :P

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It costs about 30 cents more per unit for a DVD-9 in a short (500-1000 piece) replication run.

If simply burning bootlegs, DL discs can cost at least 2-3 times as much as single layer DVD-R and can take 4 times as long to burn.

So, yes, the pirates generally will spend an hour re-encoding authentic DVD-9 into their DVD-5 bootleg.

17. Kasey

Kasey Supporting Actor

Kasey
    With my Shout box sets (and others with similiar outer cases) I carefully used a box cutter to slit the shrink wrap just enough to remove the interior cases so mine still looks sturdy enough.

Ron Lee Green likes this.
  18. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Another way to tell if a disc is dual-layer is to see if there are 2 sets of numbers and 'barcode' type things printed on the play-side.

19. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

So, does that mean some bootleggers are actually pressing/replicating some of their wares, or has burning technology changed in the last few years to where the telltale blue dye is no longer an easy way to identify discs which are burnt?

I'm not questioning legitimacy, just whether bootleggers have gotten sophisticated enough that they're actually using replication in some cases as opposed to simply burning.

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Unfortunately, there are replicators out there who will press just about anything as long as you sign a paper claiming ownership and you're not sending them Star Wars or Game of Thrones. But I think many of the pressed bootlegs are sourced from overseas manufacturers, where there is even less control.

I haven't come across any DVD-R's without the blue/purple dye color.