What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I'm with you, Gary. My biggest gripe with Shout is that they don't release everything to online stores but keep many titles exclusive to their Shout Select program. Other than that I'm thrilled with what Shout has given us over the years!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Wvdvdguy said:
And I'm pretty late to this forum but is that really the best version Room 222 we can get??
Unfortunately at this time, yes this is the best we can get of Room 222. Sadly, Fox hasn't done much with the series over the years and there has been no remastering done. On the plus side, the episodes on the Shout releases are complete and uncut but we only got seasons 1 and 2. The rest of the series will probably not ever be released due to poor sales of season 2. It's too bad because the poor sales of season 2 were a direct result of the poor quality masters used for season 1. I cut Shout some slack on Room 222 because the show hasn't been seen in years and the chances of Fox releasing it were slim to none. I'm still holding out some small hope that seasons 3-5 will eventually get released but I know that is just a pipe dream.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary, the good things outweigh the minuses with Shout's TV releases. The title I'm most interested in I'm not worried too much about at the moment (Simon & Simon), as the most recent season set had been the first in just over 18 months, so the next of the seasons to be released (the seventh). Kojak will be completed next month, and we've seen the release also of "The Marcus Nelson Murders" and the post-series TV movies. The other Shout title which I was interested in (maybe moreso than Kojak) has been Police Story. But the future is uncertain with that, and a Sony MOD release is more likely for subsequent seasons.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey I just noticed this thread. Cliff I hope you are reading this. You guys do one heck of a job at getting out those TV classics. Keep them coming my friend, I just wish Peyton Place could have gone on. I know for a fact that you guys are not responsible for it not being released among other Fox shows. Thank you Shout for what you did release pf Peyton Place. Fans that i have heard from miss Peyton Place and have been fooled many of them with vendors stateing they own the complete series. The people end up buying awful transfers from fans who must have taped the show in 1993-94.
Beware of these people for they not only offer up Peyton Place but other TV series too.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm looking forward to September with Shout's upcoming Get a Life and Steve Martin: The Television Stuff. The Steve Martin boxset will remind you of the time when Steve Martin was cool and not Shawn Levy's paycheck.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would never deny credit for the good things Shout has released, but when they have an ever increasing track record of making public statements regarding releases of theirs that turn out not to be true and we don't find out about that until after the fact, that's when they invite criticism and while praise is owed them for Dragnet, Adam-12, Kojak, Fantasy Island, McHale's Navy and Barney Miller (the 50s sitcoms I had no interest in), on Ironside, Marcus Welby MD, Rhoda, Route 66, All In The Family S7 and The Rookies, the criticism is justified. And I can't think of a single label that has built up that big a track record for not coming through on what was promised publicly, which is the biggest problem I have with their operation. If we get an announcement ahead of time that "We're sorry, but contrary to what we said earlier, the pilot won't be in this set" then that's okay. But they said otherwise and people bought this set expecting it to be there.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
MattHR said:
Something that needs to be remembered when comparing Shout (or any small distributor) to the majors: Shout is not a studio and doesn't own any of their content. They can only release what the studios will license to them. Sure there have been a few missteps, but I'm much happier for their existence and what they've released so far (with justifiable criticism on occasion). Had Shout been M.I.A. on the TV-on-DVD scene, there would be some major holes in my collection. Without them, I'd most likely not have complete series sets of Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, The Larry Sanders Show, It's Garry Schandling's Show, and My So Called Life (at least not in such outstanding editions)—not to mention all the shows they've picked up after the studios abandoned them.
Shout sure as frack made my day with the release of Max Headroom on DVD a while back.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thumbs up to Wavecrest (Richard), BobO'Link (Howie), Brian Himes, and Mark Collins.

Gary "other than CBS, Shout has released more shows that are important to me than any other company" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
D'oh! Didn't finish off part of my previous post. Should read:

The title I'm most interested in I'm not worried too much about at the moment (Simon & Simon), as the most recent season set had been the first in just over 18 months. So the next of the seasons to be released (the seventh) won't be released for a good while yet.

Also, while it's disappointing that the pilot movie of The Rookies hasn't been included in Shout's release of the second season, it was a bonus feature. Still, I'm not making excuses for Shout, but no DVD/Blu-ray label is perfect. I'm just glad to see this set (the episodes in the second season) which was announced late last year or earlier this year, finally get released.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some of Shout's TV show titles being released between September and December (source: Amazon.com):

September:

Get a Life: The Complete Series - Monday 18th September
Kojak: Season Five - Tuesday 11th September

October:

All in the Family: The Complete Series - Tuesday 30th October
Fantasy Island: The Complete Third Season - Tuesday 23rd October
Law & Order: Criminal Intent - The Eighth Year - Tuesday 23rd October
Simon & Simon: Season Seven - Tuesday 16th October (Shout! Select title)

November:

Diff'rent Strokes: The Complete Fourth Season - Tuesday 20th November

December:

Hazel: The Complete Fourth Season - Tuesday 11th December
Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Ninth Year - Tuesday 11th December
Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXV - Tuesday 4th December
Quincy, M.E.: Season Four - Tuesday 18th December.

I'm definitely getting "All in the Family." I hope SHOUT! can release the complete Archie Bunker's Place with complete, uncut episodes.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, Shout finally comes clean (well sort of) about the missing pilot from The Rookies. Here's the story on tvshowsondvd.com:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rookies-Season-2/17393
Now what I want to know is why didn't they inform ANYONE about this before the set was released. It's not like they had to press and ship all of these sets the day before they were released. They had to know WELL in advance of the release that this wasn't going to happen. Just like the Rhoda season one release and the Room 222 season one release they wait unitl the flack hits the fan on release day before saying ANYTHING. Wouldn't it make much more sense from a purely PR standpoint to be honest and up front instead of waiting for the inevitable flack? I mean, pardon me for being ignorant, but doesn't this just smack of blatant stupidity? What is wrong in the PR department over there? How does this meaningless apology make them look better? To me they are coming off as real idiots. This set has been announced for months and they are just now saying something about the missing pilot. Total morons. Sorry, but the slack I've been cutting them has come to an end. This is just plain stupidity on their part and there is no excuse.
I wouldn't hold my breath that all of the bonus stuff they are promissing as being on the All In The Family set are going to pan out and..wait for it...surprise we won't know it until the set is actually in the hands of the customers. Then, of course, we'll get the usual bogus apology. Ridiculous.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #216 of this thread, removing The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams from the release schedule list, as it's a not wholly a Shout! Factory title (source: TVShowsOnDVD's news article, posted on their website not long ago) and adding Get a Life: The Complete Series to the release schedule list (source: Amazon UK).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of Law and Order: CI, what's up with the missing episode from season 8?
Apparently this isn't Shout's fault, since Universal isn't even making it available for streaming. But why single that one episode out?
I read the update at TVSOD, and it still doesn't make any sense why the episode is missing from every platform available.
Is it the Breakfast at Tiffany's thing? Because the whole Rio thing makes no sense since Universal released the "offensive" L&O classic episode that inflamed the Latino community on the complete series box set.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #216 of this thread with some titles being released by Shout in December (source: Amazon.com).

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
Any chance Shout could pick up from Universal the last season of the Hardy Boys and restart Baretta?

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
gordoncolt said:
Any chance Shout could pick up from Universal the last season of the Hardy Boys and restart Baretta?
I sure hope so!
Would also love to see Room 222 completed also.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
PatrickGoodluck said:
Would also love to see Room 222 completed also.
Yeah, seriously doubt that that will ever happen. Shout pretty much shot themselves in the foot with Room 222. If they had been upfront about the difficulty in obtaining good quality masters and the general poor quality of the masters they did get, then perhaps folks might have been a bit more forgiving with the season 1 set. However, they waited until the set was released and the revews were posted before they addressed any of the issues. This directly hurt the potential sales for the season 2 set. So unless for some reason there is a HUGE upsurge in sales of season 1 and 2 further releases just won't happen. Shout has even stated that season 2 only sold a few hundred copies.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^
That's a shame about Room 222. I obtained the second season, but I had to go hunting for it more than usual, and eventually purchased it new from a private seller. So it's no surprise to me that it sold as poorly as it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks