What's new

Shout! Factory TV Series Status Page (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
VCD was very pixelated probably a little worse quality then a good VHS. Laserdisc was head and shoulders above both VHS and VCD for quality. DVD greatly improved picture quality over LD but never matched the quality of the Audio on LD's due to the compression on DVD vs. no Compression on LD. The uncompressed Audio of Blu-Rays surpasses LD though.
jcroy said:
The same can probably be said of laserdisc.

With that being said. Back in the late 1980's I was wondering why movies were not being released on discs the size of cds. (I wasn't aware of vcd at all).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
VCD was very pixelated probably a little worse quality then a good VHS. It was cheaper to produce and popular in Asia. Laserdisc was head and shoulders above both VHS and VCD for quality. DVD greatly improved picture quality over LD but never matched the quality of the Audio on LD's due to the compression on DVD vs. no Compression on LD. The uncompressed Audio of Blu-Rays surpasses LD though.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Updated listing,

The following were added to the completed list since the last update:

Hey Dude (Final season released on July 16)

CatDog (Final season to be released on August 20)

earlytalkie

Auditioning
Real Name
Leslie
It indeed seems that Shout! Factory is taking a new direction in what it plans for the future. The Scream! division will have a broader appeal to a younger audience. When you don't see any activity on a series like Hazel, which had three releases in 2012, you have to wonder if the DVDs had little appeal to the average purchaser. In addition, when the shows were released there was an outcry from the people who did buy them criticizing the quality of the masters used as well as a few fanatics who complained about a couple of edited episodes. The Shout! Factory website was filled with posts, some hateful and personal complaining about the releases. The bottom line is, as has been posted here earlier, that companies like Shout! are in business for one reason: to make money. They won't make it catering to crabby old men like me. I agree with the earlier poster who is grateful for what Shout! has given us. I am not a completist, but I do have some wonderful episodes of Mister Ed, The Patty Duke Show, That Girl, Ozzie and Harriet and Hazel, all from Shout!. Back in the days of VHS, I would never have the number of episodes of these shows I have now on DVD. They just didn't issue complete season or series sets. Being a sixty-something, I would never sit down and watch a complete series from pilot to finale, but I like having "the cream" of some of these shows to watch whenever the mood strikes.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I can't fault Shout for much--edited episodes aside. Patty Duke, Dobie Gillis, Rhoda, That Girl, All in the Family, Facts of Life, Hazel, Police Woman, The Norm Show, Barney Miller, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Designing Women, The Goldebergs, Marcus Welby, Peyton Place and Here Come the Brides all line my shelves thanks to them. My only wish is that they finish with Season 5 of HAZEL and then I wouldn't really expect anything else from them. It is disappointing to get so close to finishing the series.

earlytalkie

Auditioning
Real Name
Leslie
Shout! probably would have finished Mister Ed if their relationship with Fox, the supplying company hadn't reportedly gone south. I understand that Fox asked for notably higher prices for Peyton Place from Shout! that they were not prepared to pay, resulting in the stalling of that series. It's all about the money.

earlytalkie

Auditioning
Real Name
Leslie
Jobla said:
Neil, thanks much for the update on LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE, although the news itself certainly isn't good. I'd still buy the series on DVD,even if the episodes were in a different format from the original broadcasts.

In the meantime, I'm loving THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS from Shout.
As I recall, Love, American Style went into network daytime reruns at some point. The original hour-long shows were re-edited into half-hours and they ran in that format for several years. The unsuccessful TV version of Barefoot In The Park was also included in this package. The first season may be the only one whose original hour-long elements were retained.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sadly, I've given up hope for the final season of Rhoda, any further seasons of The Rookies, Police Story or Police Woman. Bummer as I'd love to have complete runs of all of those shows.

earlytalkie

Auditioning
Real Name
Leslie
Mill Creek has just inked a deal with Sony Pictures to re-issue Sony Properties that have been previously released. This supposedly includes Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat and more, including many feature films. From what I read on TV Shows On DVD, this would not include previously unreleased seasons of anything at this time. Who knows about the future though? What this does seem to indicate is the end of Sony's relationship with Shout!Factory. I don't think that any properties that Shout! leases from Sony currently, like Hazel, or Dennis The Menace would be included in this deal. This dosen't look good for that last season of Hazel that many fans have been waiting for. I hope I'm wrong.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I'm dismayed that Shout hasn't picked up any more Nickelodeon shows. Where's Rugrats? Doug? The eternally incomplete Pete and Pete and Clarissa? Why is Shout releasing a You Can't Do That on Television documentary but not the actual show (which Nick is putting out in fistfuls on iTunes)?

Obviously there's a market for the Nick catalog, since all the shows they've put out have sold well enough to be completed (some sold so well as to warrant complete series sets).

Apparently, horror movies and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman are simply bigger priorities for them now.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Gary OS said:
Surely it was. And while I'm happy for those that wanted it, the news does absolutely zilch for me.

Gary "just more proof that Shout is moving away from the stuff I'd like to see - oh well" O.
Gary, I'm right with ya on this one. Everybody has different preferences though and I'm sure some are thrilled. I'm glad for fans of MHMH. Upcoming releases are a crap shoot. Unfortunately for me, I'm going through a period where the stuff announced for release in the near future (save Naked City and Mod Squad) are nothing I am interested in. I am hoping for better luck next year with shows of a higher interest level to me (Hillbillies, The Rebel, Cannon, and others).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I did want to mention too that even though I personally don't much care for MHMH, it is nice to see Shout releasing a classic show from the 70's again instead of the newer stuff they have been putting out recently. While CBS's approach lately has been to move toward releasing shows like Touched By An Angel and Becker which, although maybe good shows, are not classic TV by any stretch. IMO

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
It's not like the other Nickelodeon shows won't sell. Captain Planet was dropped after a single release. Even lesser Nick titles like Catdog and Wild Thornberries sold well enough to be completed on DVD. Imagine how well Rugrats would sell.

Look at how Paramount and Nick ignored Hey Dude for the duration of the "Golden Age of Home Video". It wasn't even deemed marketable enough for a CreateSpace release. Yet the whole series is out now.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ken_Martinez said:
I'm dismayed that Shout hasn't picked up any more Nickelodeon shows. Where's Rugrats? Doug? The eternally incomplete Pete and Pete and Clarissa? Why is Shout releasing a You Can't Do That on Television documentary but not the actual show (which Nick is putting out in fistfuls on iTunes)?

Obviously there's a market for the Nick catalog, since all the shows they've put out have sold well enough to be completed (some sold so well as to warrant complete series sets).

Apparently, horror movies and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman are simply bigger priorities for them now.
I am a firm believer that everyone has their preferences and personally I don't even like MHMH or some of the horror series but Clarissa Explains It ALL and Doug don't not quite constitute classic TV. IMO. MHMA was a critically acclaimed show from the 70's

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Updated listing,

The following was added to the completed list since the last update:

The Wild Thornberry's (Seasons 4&5 will be released on September 10)

Status updates

Big Bad Beetleborgs & VR Troopers have been changed to 'Abandoned' as it has been announced that there will be no further releases due to poor sales.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Those Shout boys, they done it again, rescuing another abandoned series that gonna make you folks pretty happy. All I can say is that this one has been longer than MHMH was. Can't say any more, otherwise I'll have to go into witness protection. Its not Maude.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks