What's new

Shout Factory to Bring Elvira's Movie Macabre to DVD (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I found this over on DVD Drive-in.com - a kind of cool announcment that seems to have slipped under the radar:

I was never a SUPER huge fan (I was a USA Night Flight sort - now THERES a release that I'd love to see), but this might be fun for a rental at least.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Is this where she would announce the movie, then before and after each commercial break there was a short video of her talking about it?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This is cool news, but I agree.
I was the USA"s UP All Night! fan.

With Rhonda Sheer and Gilbert Godfried.:)
Now that brings back memories for me.
The one I remember is Malibu Bikini Shop

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
What movies does everyone want on the set? I loved to see The Thing With Two Heads included on the set.
-James

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
While I loved USA's Up All Night, I'd say this more reminds me of Joe Bobs Drive In Theater. I'll probably pick it up!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bringing this thread back from the dead!!

These are coming out September 19th. Singles sets and Double feature sets.
Very cool! Can't wait to pick these up.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
There was more to Elvira's movie macabre. She not only made comments about a film at commercial breaks, but she broke right in the middle of a scene with a comment and cut away from the movie to her, and then cut back after her comment. Plus she had other characters, like Auntie - Virus.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You know, I thought I remembered her doing much more than just little bumpers at breaks. I remember renting Monster Club. Me and my family loved it. Unfortunately that's not one of the ones coming out. But I think this'll be a blast. It should be a big hit with the MST3K crowd. With any luck we'll get more. At this price you can't go wrong. The doubles are $10 the singles are $6 street price.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Bumping this thread back from the grave to note that one skit is cut short on "Frankenstein's House of Freaks". The disc fades out and goes back to the movie right when Elvira answers her phone. The rest of the skit with the recurring "Breather" character is nowhere in sight, but he's shown in the closing credits of the show! Hopefully, this isn't a trend.:frowning:

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
One of the movies Elvira hosted on Movie Macabre was in 3D. I can't remember for the life of me what movie it was now but that could be a fun DVD release. I think I still have my 3D glasses from that one somewhere. About all I remember about that broadcast now was their little "3D TV" musical number. Does anyone remember this?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I had forgotten about this but I do remember this now. Probably around 1979 or 1980. I also remember that as usual the 3-D effects were almost unrecognizable on TV. 3-D never seems to work well on TV and thats why its not released on DVD. I think the studios fear way too many returns.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I saw the 3d show! It was "The Mad Magician", a Vincent Price movie I've not seen since. "Vinnie The P" as Elvira affectionately called him, actually appeared on the show once.
There was a bit of a 3D revival on a couple L.A. stations in the 80's. KABC ran a swimsuit edition of their magazine show, and later ran a lot of 50's flicks in their original format late on Saturday nights. The main problems I recall were fuzzy reception, and less than perfect color settings lessen the 3D effect on tv.
I've seen DVD's that use those electronic LCD shutter glasses. There was a videodisc format never released outside Japan called VHD, that had nearly every 80's 3D epic in all their widescreen stereoscopic glory!
http://disclord.tripod.com/vhddiscworld/id1.html
http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/vhd.htm

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
No, the 3-D films that were syndicated around the country circa 1982 were most definitely NOT shown in their original format. All of the red/blue anaglyph broadcasts were horribly downconverted from the original clear glasses polarized 3-D format. The TV versions didn't look a thing like the original 3-D versions, and as noted, were largely ineffective. Nearly every market in the country got one or more of these abominations...they really did more damage than anything.

The Movie Macabre showing was indeed THE MAD MAGICIAN. Elvira's sequences were also presented in crude red/blue anaglyph form. The 3-D TV musical number was so popular it even got released on vinyl! I've got a VHS copy of this show still lying around somewhere.

I just saw THE MAD MAGICIAN in the original, dual projection polarized 3-D form in LA last year; it looks marvelous that way but the anaglyph TV version was awful in 1982 and I doubt Columbia would sanction a DVD release now.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wasn't aware the polarized glasses system was around for films made in the 1950's.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Sure was. It actually goes back to 1936,a nd has always been the traditional method for 3-D projection. All of the 3-D movies released in the 1950's were released in polarized form, except for a few burlesque short subjects and such. Really only a handful of theatrical films have been released in the anaglyph process, most of them 2-D films with short 3-D sequences inserted, or low budget adult stuff. You might have seen a couple of the classics in a revival house (such as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON) in anaglyph form, but those prints look pretty bad in comparison with the original polarized format releases.

To take things back to Elvira, I really enjoyed the Movie Macabre releases, and hope we see more soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks