Shout Factory Press Release: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis: The Complete Series

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
7,207
Location
Mid-South
Real Name
Howie
I'd bet it has something to do with the description. Amazon's is all over the place and indicates WS at least twice while also saying FS. My copy is currently showing "Shipping Now" so if it were something physical I'd think it would be on hold.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gary OS

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
3,007
Real Name
jimmy
JOEYD3 said:
Please...I only asked if anyone knew why it was pulled, not for a bunch of theories.
well, i dont appreciate your tone.

people were being very helpful explaining various reasons why amazon does what they do. it helps with insight, when one does not know the exact reason.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gary OS

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
2,225
Real Name
Joe
What makes you think this is the place to get the facts, m'am? This is a place for theories, not facts.
 

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
2,919
Real Name
Richard
JOEYD3 said:
CONTENT REMOVED BY OWNERSHIP. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE SOMEONE'S IMPOLITE MESSAGE. DON'T RESPOND AND SIMPLY REPORT. THANKS
Impolite - adjective: Not having or showing good manners; see Rude
- Synonyms - rude, discourteous, uncivil, ill-mannered, boorish
 

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2012
Messages
2,515
Location
SE Missouri
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Well, Joey, I do know what happened. The Skipper wasn't happy that it portrayed his "little buddy" as a Beatnik. He placed a call to Milburn Drysdale at the Commerce Bank in Beverly Hills since he was the one who bankrolled the whole thing secretly with Jed Clampett's money. Granny was so unhappy with the set she shot the television. So with Granny and The Skipper mad (I understand MaryAnn and Ginger weren't well pleased either), they had to pull the set. Hope that helps!
 

LouA

Screenwriter
Joined
May 29, 2012
Messages
1,881
Location
New jersey
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
On a lighter note , Bill O'Rielly had a fairly lengty segment about The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis on his Factor show last night. There was a clip from the show , they showed the DVD box art, and O'Reilly said it was one of his favorite show, was now on DVDand he already had a copy of the set in his "library". I would't be surprised if it helped Shout Factory sell some sets.
 

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,386
Location
Dallas TX
LouA said:
On a lighter note , Bill O'Rielly had a fairly lengty segment about The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis on his Factor show last night. There was a clip from the show , they showed the DVD box art, and O'Reilly said it was one of his favorite show, was now on DVDand he already had a copy of the set in his "library". I would't be surprised if it helped Shout Factory sell some sets.
I saw that as well.
I was wondering what else is on his shelf in the collection.

Hopefully, whatever the issue is, Amazon and the other e-tailer's will update their primary product pages soon about the issues with the set.

- Jeff "Gary, you can read my mind about what may happen here" W. :lol:
 

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2012
Messages
2,515
Location
SE Missouri
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
LouA said:
On a lighter note , Bill O'Rielly had a fairly lengty segment about The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis on his Factor show last night. There was a clip from the show , they showed the DVD box art, and O'Reilly said it was one of his favorite show, was now on DVDand he already had a copy of the set in his "library". I would't be surprised if it helped Shout Factory sell some sets.
If the no-spin man is for it, who could be against it? :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jeff Willis

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 14, 2006
Messages
157
TravisR said:
Amazon takes things down when they get returns. It could be something trivial or something serious. Maybe they shipped the set in a box where it slides around and the corner got bashed up resulting in returns. It could be that discs come loose during shipping and paranoid types returned it thinking that the discs will stop working one day. Or something serious like that there's a string of discs that don't play. With Amazon, you can never tell.
My set was shipped in a box without protection for the set inside which resulted in it sliding around which in turn caused dents to some of the corners. It seems however that packing items for shipment without sufficient protection now appears to be the new norm for Amazon anyhow. At least that is the case in my recent experience.

I suspect that the issue may be with how the set is listed. Robert already pointed out the incorrect aspect ratio. That possibly combined with the number of discs stated. In the product details section it says 21 discs, then lower down on the page in the product description section it says 20 discs. If you look at the image of the box set at the top of the spine with an expanded view it says "20-DVD set". However in that same spot on the set I received it says "21-DVD set".
 

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
7,207
Location
Mid-South
Real Name
Howie
Cheetah said:
My set was shipped in a box without protection for the set inside which resulted in it sliding around which in turn caused dents to some of the corners. It seems however that packing items for shipment without sufficient protection now appears to be the new norm for Amazon anyhow. At least that is the case in my recent experience.

I suspect that the issue may be with how the set is listed. Robert already pointed out the incorrect aspect ratio. That possibly combined with the number of discs stated. In the product details section it says 21 discs, then lower down on the page in the product description section it says 20 discs. If you look at the image of the box set at the top of the spine with an expanded view it says "20-DVD set". However in that same spot on the set I received it says "21-DVD set".
Mine came in a box with *lots* of other stuff (they packed it with my monthly "subscribe and save" shipment). At least the person doing the packing put in enough pillow packs to cushion everything sufficiently and the set arrived undamaged. I've received packages lately where a DVD set is put in a box far too large with little or no cushioning added. One set came in a plain paper mailer that had been crushed! I do enough ordering from Amazon that I *know* they have box sizes that accommodate almost anything but it seems that it's either up to the whim of the packer or they have a automated process that tells the packer which size box/package to use and the packer chooses the amount of additional padding. In any case I always fill out the "shipping feedback" form to let them know of possible issues.

I agree with the "Item under Review" issue reason. Their listing is/(was) all over the place and judging on many of the "reviews" on the site many people lack the capacity to read and/or comprehend such discrepencies much less do actual research to determine what's correct.

As far as DeepDiscount I'm thinking they simply sold out their available stock. I've seen them do this in the past when they couldn't quickly replenish inventory. As several sites are now showing the set with "in stock in 5-10 days" type messages it makes me wonder if Shout underestimated the demand.

That said, here's the link to the set at DeepDiscount:

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series which shows "Usually ships in 5-10 days." I was able to add it to my cart without the "OOS warning" you get when it's really gone.

It's not available by doing a search on their site but *can* be easily found via Google.
 

LouA

Screenwriter
Joined
May 29, 2012
Messages
1,881
Location
New jersey
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I've been watching this show and really enjoying it . I think Shout Factory did a great job with it . But I've been wondering - does anyone know why the closing credits couldn't be remastered ?
 

Gary16

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,290
Real Name
Gary
LouA said:
I've been watching this show and really enjoying it . I think Shout Factory did a great job with it . But I've been wondering - does anyone know why the closing credits couldn't be remastered ?
My guess would be that it saved them money since the original credits contained sponsor logos that they would have needed to cover.
 

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
7,207
Location
Mid-South
Real Name
Howie
LouA said:
I've been watching this show and really enjoying it . I think Shout Factory did a great job with it . But I've been wondering - does anyone know why the closing credits couldn't be remastered ?
Gary16 said:
My guess would be that it saved them money since the original credits contained sponsor logos that they would have needed to cover.
The state of the credits slightly bothers me too. I'd also say the reason was to "save money" but considering the MSRP it seems a bit of a money grab if that's the case as the credits are pretty bare-boned and shouldn't take much to "restore". A few episodes I've seen *do* have restored credits but I've not payed enough attention to see if those were more "generic" in nature (no guest star or cast change). If they could see fit to do a few then why not all? I seriously doubt it was because of sponsor logos because those would not be on the 35mm master or negative but only on prints sent to the network for airing.

I'm 2 seasons into the set and, other than some continuity issues (which can be attributed to poor production/management/scripting and/or lack of a production bible), that's been my only real gripe.

If the state of the credits is any indication of what they were given to work with for restoration I'm amazed there's not more damage evident in the episodes themselves.
 

Gary16

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,290
Real Name
Gary
BobO said:
The state of the credits slightly bothers me too. I'd also say the reason was to "save money" but considering the MSRP it seems a bit of a money grab if that's the case as the credits are pretty bare-boned and shouldn't take much to "restore". A few episodes I've seen *do* have restored credits but I've not payed enough attention to see if those were more "generic" in nature (no guest star or cast change). If they could see fit to do a few then why not all? I seriously doubt it was because of sponsor logos because those would not be on the 35mm master or negative but only on prints sent to the network for airing.I'm 2 seasons into the set and, other than some continuity issues (which can be attributed to poor production/management/scripting and/or lack of a production bible), that's been my only real gripe.If the state of the credits is any indication of what they were given to work with for restoration I'm amazed there's not more damage evident in the episodes themselves.
The end credits appear to have come off some badly transferred 16mm syndication prints while the audio clearly is off the same masters as the episode content. Sponsor logos would have been on any 35mm negs or prints. These transfers certainly weren't from the camera negatives. I'm just pleased that the episodes look so good. The credits are a distraction but I can live with it. What's more annoying us the terrible job they did with the bonus episodes of the Bob Cummings and Stu Erwin shows which look almost as bad as those end credits.
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,544
Messages
4,745,311
Members
141,477
Latest member
Gil Jones