Shout Factory Press Release: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis: The Complete Series

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
LouA said:
Has anyone gotten any updated info on the bonus features on this set? I'm wondering if Dwayne Hickman or Sheila James will provide commentary tracks .
The Shout! website lists only these extras:

New InterviewsRadio ShowPromosStill Gallery

They don't identify the interviewees and there is no mention of commentary tracks.

Reactions: PODER

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Import CDs has this on sale for $80.79 and are currently having a 10% off sale (code: SAVE10, ends June 17th @ 5pm PST) for a $77.70 total (after shipping/handling). I'm seriously considering cancelling my Amazon pre-order for this one. I'm in for ~$97 at Amazon unless they drop the price a bit more. I sent in a PM for Import CDs a week or so back but they didn't bite...

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Richard Gallagher said:

They don't identify the interviewees and there is no mention of commentary tracks.
Richard Gallagher said:

Hi Rich, Thanks for the info. It's kind of what I expected. Still, it's great to finally get this show on DVD.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
My copy may arrive as soon as tomorrow.There is reportedly a 17 minute interview with Dwayne Hickman, plus 3 episodes of LOVE THAT BOB that featured Hickman.The Dobie Gillis pilot (which features Yvonne Craig in "bumper scenes") is reportedly included, with Hickman making a pitch for the series also included.The rare episode is included in which Maynard G. Krebs promises to predict the winner of the Nixon-Kennedy election in 1960 (Maynard doesn't actually make a selection). That episode was withdrawn after the 1963 assassination of Kennedy (although it has shown up in a few much later syndication packages).The episodes will run about 26 minutes each, which is full length. I have heard that the episodes (other than the ending credit crawls) have been remastered. I won't know until I see the set, however.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I must have missed when Amazon went under $100 for this set . I'll wait for Amazon to come back down under $100 . I was a Gilligan fan as a kid . So I naturally watched Dobie reruns for Maynard . I ended up really loving the show . frank Faylen was great as Dobie's dad .

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
So far very pleased overall with the Dobie set. The transfers look very good (except for the end credits) although not as sharp and clean as the CBS releases. The Hickman interview is informative -- can't tell if it was done just for this set or if it was done a while ago. The transfers of the "bonus" shows (Bob Cummings and Stu Erwin -- which they misspelled as Irwin on the menu) all look uniformly terrible but that's not why I bought the set.

Reactions: Gary OS and LouA

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
borisfw said:
I must have missed when Amazon went under $100 for this set . I'll wait for Amazon to come back down under $100 . I was a Gilligan fan as a kid . So I naturally watched Dobie reruns for Maynard . I ended up really loving the show . frank Faylen was great as Dobie's dad .
It actually started out on April 8th at $97.99, jumped to the current price on April 14th, and never went back down. I tried several times to get a PM to importcds.com (which is still under $90 including shipping) but they didn't go for it.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I locked it in at the 97.99 preorder price. However, I did have to add nearly ten dollars for local state tax.

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
My copy arrived today , and the episodes I watched on disc 1 look great and seem to be complete. I'm really happy to get this set.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Did it have the "Zelda" pilot? Or was that eventually incorporated into an episode of Dobie...never been quite sure about that.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The only remnant of the ZELDA pilot is in the extras. Reportedly (I haven't checked it myself), the script for the pilot is included in the DVD-ROM supplements that can be viewed via computer.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ethan Riley said:
Did it have the "Zelda" pilot? Or was that eventually incorporated into an episode of Dobie...never been quite sure about that.
I ordered my copy today. I was just thinking how great Dobie was. The characters were well fleshed out, the scripts well written, and the acting top notch. The exact opposite of a show like,,, first thing to come to mind would be something like Mama's Family.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The last season of "Dobie Gillis" was surrealistic and totally unfunny to me. But I know you have a need to bash "Mama's Family" all over the Internet. I'm wondering what the reason is, considering there were hundreds of shows much worse.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Joe Lugoff said:
The last season of "Dobie Gillis" was surrealistic and totally unfunny to me. But I know you have a need to bash "Mama's Family" all over the Internet. I'm wondering what the reason is, considering there were hundreds of shows much worse.
Just a joke man. Honestly I don't care about the series one way or another. I really am, however, looking forward to Dobie. That much is true. Chatsworth Osborne and his mom are hilarious IMO.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
I haven't seen this since early 2000s, when Urban America ran it (before becoming Telefutura). Great times, you got Dobie, public domain cartoons, and on Saturdays NWA Wildside and reruns of '90s wrestling promotions.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I've played most of my discs in the set, and they all look fine. Sometimes, Amazon takes stuff down for very simple reasons, such as a "widescreen" label on fullscreen product (such as LAURA). Or perhaps, Amazon's description of special features didn't match the actual specs? I'd certainly be interested in hearing what the problem may be, but the discs have played fine for me.I should add that I haven't yet played most of the supplemental features, so I don't know if there's a problem there or not.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jobla said:
I've played most of my discs in the set, and they all look fine. Sometimes, Amazon takes stuff down for very simple reasons, such as a "widescreen" label on fullscreen product (such as LAURA). Or perhaps, Amazon's description of special features didn't match the actual specs? I'd certainly be interested in hearing what the problem may be, but the discs have played fine for me.
Amazon's technical specs say the set's aspect ratio is 1.85:1, while everyone knows the series is presented in 1.33:1.

Would they have taken it down because someone complained that the episodes on the box weren't stretched to fit their widescreen?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Amazon takes things down when they get returns. It could be something trivial or something serious. Maybe they shipped the set in a box where it slides around and the corner got bashed up resulting in returns. It could be that discs come loose during shipping and paranoid types returned it thinking that the discs will stop working one day. Or something serious like that there's a string of discs that don't play. With Amazon, you can never tell.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meenishabmanu