Shout Factory Press Release: The Dick Cavett Show: Rock Icons

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE DICK CAVETT SHOW: ROCK ICONS 3-Disc DVD set focuses on appearances from some of the most influential rock ‘n’ roll musicians of the time: David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, David Crosby, George Harrison, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Ravi Shankar, Paul Simon, Sly & The Family Stone, and Stephen Stills. Several of these performances and interviews have not been seen since they first aired over 30 years ago. With recently taped introductions and remembrances by Cavett, THE DICK CAVETT SHOW: ROCK ICONS 3-Disc DVD will be available on August 16th.

A couple of details:

-In July 1972, Cavett couldn’t get The Rolling Stones to come to the studio, so he went to Madison Square Garden to interview them. This set contains a portion of Cavett’s interview with Mick Jagger and performances of the songs “Brown Sugar” and “Street Fighting Man.”

-The episode featuring performances by Jefferson Airplane, Joni Mitchell, Steven Stills and David Crosby was taped just hours after the Woodstock Festival and VH1 Classic will be broadcasting this episode 4 times (Sat. & Sun. afternoon & evening) during their 48-hour Woodstock marathon Aug. 20 & 21.

-The 3-Disc set includes as Bonus Material a recent Dick Cavett interview with Emmy®-Award winning director Bob Weide (Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Complete Tracklisting:

Disc 1
    August 19, 1969
    “We Can Be Together” – Jefferson Airplane
    “Volunteers” – Jefferson Airplane
    “Chelsea Morning” – Joni Mitchell
    “Willy” – Joni Mitchell
    “For Free” – Joni Mitchell
    “4 + 20” – Stephen Stills
    “The Fiddle And The Drum” – Joni Mitchell
    “Somebody To Love” – Jefferson Airplane with David Crosby
    July 13, 1970
    “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)” – Sly And The Family Stone
    December 5, 1974
    “1984” – David Bowie
    “Young Americans” – David Bowie
    Bonus Material:
    The Dick Cavett Interview
    Emmy®-Award winning director Bob Weide (Curb Your Enthusiasm) interviews Dick Cavett

Disc 2
    July 18, 1969
    “To Love Somebody” – Janis Joplin
    “Try (Just A Little Bit Harder)” – Janis Joplin
    June 25, 1970
    “Move Over” – Janis Joplin
    “Get It While You Can” – Janis Joplin
    August 3, 1970
    “Half Moon” – Janis Joplin
    “My Baby” – Janis Joplin

Disc 3
    August 11, 1970
    “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” – Stevie Wonder
    “Never Dreamed You’d Leave In Summer” – Stevie Wonder
    “High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)” – Tex Ritter
    November 23, 1971
    “Two Faced Man” – Gary Wright and Wonderwheel with George Harrison
    “Bangla Desh” – George Harrison
    September 5, 1974
    “American Tune” – Paul Simon
    “Still Crazy After All These Years” – Paul Simon
    “Loves Me Like A Rock” – Paul Simon with The Jessy Dixon Singers
    “Bridge Over Troubled Water” – Paul Simon with The Jessy Dixon Singers

2. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    “High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)” – Tex Ritter

?????

I'm not getting why Tex is included ... can anyone explain? Seems like an odd choice ... was "High Noon" adopted by the counter-culture as some type of retro-anthem or something? Or did he just happen to appear on one of these shows?

Regardless, this looks like a great set and is worth the price for the Joplin material alone (for me anyway). Congrats to Shout! factory for continuing to unearth treasures from TV's past.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

The latter. These are the complete shows, so they'll include plenty of non-rock guests in addition to the acts listed...

4. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

Very interesting release. Agreed that the Janis material is just about worth buying the set on it's own.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I've been working on my review copy and the Woodstock show with Jefferson Airplane, Joni Mitchell, Crosby & Stills is worth the price of the set all by itself. Not to mention an entire DVD of Janis Joplin!!

The show was shot on videotape but looks quite acceptable for the format. Obviously the audio leaves a lot to be desired since televisions at the time had little 2" speakers and the program are tailored for that. Don't expect any deep bass at all.

Getting the complete shows nicely puts these acts in perspective of their time, with people like Debbie Reynolds, Jerzy Kosinski and Pancho Gonzalez ("the greatest tennis player of all time," a title that hasn't held up well at all) interspersed with the likes of Sly Stone.

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

And isn't Shout! going to follow this one up with a set full of Ray Charles' appearances on Cavett? This is one pretty excellent series in the works. Shout! Factory rules.

7. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

Is there a snowball's chance that celeb interviews from other Cavett shows will be released? He did some great stuff with Mae West, Groucho and tons of others that would still be interesting to see....but, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. We're lucky to get this set.

Mike

8. Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho Stunt Coordinator

The Shout Factory certainly does great collections. Hopefully their will be more Cavett shows down the road: Such as the May 72 appearance of John Lennon. Lennon and Yoko were previously on the show but didn't do any numbers. On this second appearance Lennon did "Woman Is The Nigger Of The World". Yoko also did a number. (Oh well,you can't have everything)
    Bill Parisho

9. Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz Stunt Coordinator

But you do have a FF button! [​IMG]

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I was an avid Dick Cavett fan in the late 60s and am really looking forward to this DVD set. I also remember seeing Janis Joplin on his show when it first aired. IIRC, she was disappointed that she hadn't been invited to her high school class reunion that summer in Port Arthur, TX.

11. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Dick Cavett Show, The: John Lennon & Yoko is being released on 11/01 for $24.95.

Dick Cavett Show, The: Ray Charles Collection is being released on 9/13 also for $24.95.

Can't find any specs yet for these 2 sets.

12. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Dick Cavett even interviewed the two remaining Ritz Bros. Who? I know. But I like arcania like that.

[​IMG]

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It's unfortunate but someone without much foresight taped over the master of Janis Joplin's first appearance on Cavett (when he was doing a morning show) and it doesn't appear to exist. The same problem happened with the 2nd half of the David Bowie program, which is a terrible shame because he really didn't do talk shows at all in that 1974 time period, and he was just starting to get comfortable.

14. Muir Hewitt

Muir Hewitt Extra

I really do hope that we'll soon get a DVD of the Dick Cavett TV Special Backlot USA, filmed in 1976, and starring Mickey Rooney, Gene Kelly, John Wayne I think made an appearance too, but last but certainly not least, a one off appearance by the legendary Miss Mae West,drawling " Mmm this is the kinda room I like - wall to wall men!!" before singing two numbers Frankie and Johnny, and After You've Gone, and talking about her career with Mr Cavett.